• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I no longer live in Seagrove Beach but I signed the petition because a friend who lives at Rosemary Beach asked me to. I can assure all of you who think that stopping this will turn back the clock that it won't. It will always be growing and getting more crowded. My husband's family has owned a home in the area for 40 years and we owned a home in Seagrove for 20 years. The quiet charm is gone forever.

I don't think anyone thinks we can stop growth. And it wouldn't be good for our town if it did STOP. But, we can make a difference in the way it grows with vision and leadership and good growth management. Height limits were set several years ago - making a huge difference in the character and development of our beach towns. Should we just stop there? I think growth management takes ongoing planning and standard development. The only question is... will Walton County do this and do it well? I really do have my doubts in the long run. But, we've done some good things already. We've also made some mistakes such as monster vacation houses with no architectural standards (pack 'em in and get that view from the top level), lack of environmental protection while developing on our dune lakes and other waterways, signs everywhere along our "Scenic" 30A and bike path, and lack of attention to infrastructure in general. But, I guess you can't control everything or legislate good taste.

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
Hampton Inn Soho, NY is $109 a night tonight.

However, the Holiday Inn "Resort" out on the island is $358.12 per night next year during July 4th. With that, a $275 per night Hampton in Seagrove seems a bargain.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Are there rigid zoning codes in place now?

In a word, No! Walton County, instead of zoning codes, has vague, mostly useless land use codes that can not only be easily interpreted to meet one's needs, but also variances can easily be obtained.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Hampton Inn Soho, NY is $109 a night tonight. However, the Holiday Inn "Resort" out on the island is $358.12 per night next year during July 4th. With that, a $275 per night Hampton in Seagrove seems a bargain.

That same Soho room will hit $1000.00 per night July 4th.

PJJ

Beach Lover
Oct 27, 2007
Hampton Inn Soho, NY is $109 a night tonight.

However, the Holiday Inn "Resort" out on the island is $358.12 per night next year during July 4th. With that, a $275 per night Hampton in Seagrove seems a bargain.

You can't get an Average Daily Rate by using the rate of a competitor on the day of the year with the highest demand. Back of the envelope, I'd guess an ADR of $150 and occupancy of about 60%.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Hampton Inn in DC was pushing $400/night when I was there in October.

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
You can't get an Average Daily Rate by using the rate of a competitor on the day of the year with the highest demand. Back of the envelope, I'd guess an ADR of $150 and occupancy of about 60%.

I would guess that too by going to Hilton's website and pulling up Hampton's franchise brochure. Those are national averages, you can pull that definition up by going to wikipedia. You aren't finding 60% occupancy and an average daily rate of 109 at any 2.5 star + hotel from Destin to PCB. I believe the Hampton in Niceville is on the market for 6.2 mil.

Last edited:

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I believe the Hampton in Niceville is on the market for 6.2 mil.

I think that property gets very steady business year round in part because it's the closest chain hotel to the Navy EOD school, which does a good number of short term programs for federal and local law enforcement.