• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
I think that property gets very steady business year round in part because it's the closest chain hotel to the Navy EOD school, which does a good number of short term programs for federal and local law enforcement.

You have an extra 6.195 mil laying around, I am good for 5k!

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
My only question is...is the issue that is Hampton, that it is a 90 room hotel, or both? [...]

My only issue is that it's a 90 room hotel. It's way too big, and if this one goes in, what is there to stop others, which will be way too big x2 x4 x8, etc. The ordinance that was changed to allow larger bed numbers in specialty lodging should NEVER have been changed, and certainly with no discussion the way it was. The planning commission and the county commissioners are moving in the wrong direction. They need to be erring on the side of increasing protection from irresponsible development, and this to me is a clear example of irresponsible. Has nothing to do with being elitist. I don't care if it's a designer hotel, or a Motel 6. Nothing that big should ever be approved on 30A, definitely not in that location, and not anywhere near any dune lake. Put it up on 98. That's what that stretch of road is for. 98 has the traffic capacity as well as the ability to be 4 laned if it needs it to accommodate more traffic in the future. 30A doesn't. Allowing something like this on 30A just from a traffic density stand point alone is just silly. And that is without even looking at the flooding problems that everyone knows will be caused from the large parking lot, the stress it will put on the lake, and the negative traffic impact it will have on the nearby residential neighborhoods.

ann watson

Banned
Jun 26, 2012
Seagrove Beach
My only issue is that it's a 90 room hotel. It's way too big, and if this one goes in, what is there to stop others, which will be way too big x2 x4 x8, etc. The ordinance that was changed to allow larger bed numbers in specialty lodging should NEVER have been changed, and certainly with no discussion the way it was. The planning commission and the county commissioners are moving in the wrong direction. They need to be erring on the side of increasing protection from irresponsible development, and this to me is a clear example of irresponsible. Has nothing to do with being elitist. I don't care if it's a designer hotel, or a Motel 6. Nothing that big should ever be approved on 30A, definitely not in that location, and not anywhere near any dune lake. Put it up on 98. That's what that stretch of road is for. 98 has the traffic capacity as well as the ability to be 4 laned if it needs it to accommodate more traffic in the future. 30A doesn't. Allowing something like this on 30A just from a traffic density stand point alone is just silly. And that is without even looking at the flooding problems that everyone knows will be caused from the large parking lot, the stress it will put on the lake, and the negative traffic impact it will have on the nearby residential neighborhoods.

The best argument I've read on this issue. Good points without sounding hysterical or elitist.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The streets that hotel beach goers would use (May, Williams, Lake, etc) are not maintained by the county. Not sure of their technical status, but it would stink to have to pay for your neighborhood's maintenance only to have the Hampton Inn folks flowing freely through your privately maintained $$ neighborhood to go to the beach access with no parking.

Last edited:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
It's all about traffic density to me, also. There will be a complete stand still of traffic from Eastern Lake to 395. It's that simple.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
I just saw a commercial for Chateau 30A condos on cable. The commercial showed "beach access" as the dirt roads through Seagrove Eastern Lake neighborhood. It highlighted May, Williams and Dalton streets. There is no access at the end of those streets.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
I just saw a commercial for Chateau 30A condos on cable. The commercial showed "beach access" as the dirt roads through Seagrove Eastern Lake neighborhood. It highlighted May, Williams and Dalton streets. There is no access at the end of those streets.
hence project failed. Even with St Joe offering free membership to both golf courses and pool privileges with ownership.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake

Yeah, it's a pretty crappy neighborhood we got here: dirt roads, rusty trailers, mad dogs, feral cats. I bet those elite Hampton Inn clientele will be rather disappointed to walk three quarter's of a mile down dusty dirt roads to get to one measly little beach access with no parking. This just doesn't seem like a good idea for anybody, ya think?

Oh yeah, that's right, they can get in their cars and get out on 30-A and look for no parking accesses in Seaside and no parking accesses in Grayton, and then they can attempt to do u-turns in Seaside and u-turns in Grayton, and try to make it back to Seagrove and Eastern Lake and then again walk three quarters of a mile down a dusty dirt road to one measly little beach access with no parking...

JKBeach

Beach Comber
Nov 4, 2012
Seagrove, FL
Yeah, it's a pretty crappy neighborhood we got here: dirt roads, rusty trailers, mad dogs, feral cats. I bet those elite Hampton Inn clientele will be rather disappointed to walk three quarter's of a mile down dusty dirt roads to get to one measly little beach access with no parking. This just doesn't seem like a good idea for anybody, ya think?

Oh yeah, that's right, they can get in their cars and get out on 30-A and look for no parking accesses in Seaside and no parking accesses in Grayton, and then they can attempt to do u-turns in Seaside and u-turns in Grayton, and try to make it back to Seagrove and Eastern Lake and then again walk three quarters of a mile down a dusty dirt road to one measly little beach access with no parking...

I plan to increase my "mad dog" breeding program and release a couple each day during the peak season. Nothing we like more in our "crappy neighborhood" than to watch folks run from our mad dogs only to be attacked by our feral cats.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Who owns the property and who is the developer?

http://www.waltonsun.com/news/familiar-face-behind-proposed-hampton-inn-project-1.421801?tc=cr

When it comes to the proposed Hampton Inn on 30A, mum is the word for the project’s developers, despite a tremendous backlash from locals who have taken to social media and internet-based petitions to voice their displeasure.

Realtor Charles W. Rigdon of Destin is listed as the registered agent of Chateau 30A LLC, the company behind the hotel project. When contacted by The Sun, Rigdon refused to comment on the project, except to say that he and MC Davis, a familiar name in Walton County , are partners in the project.
Rigdon said he and Davis would not comment on the project and referred all other questions to his Tallahassee-based attorney, David Theriaque.
Currently a development order application for the Hampton Inn project is on file with Walton County planners. The developers seek to build a 44,205-square-foot, 90-room limited lodging hotel and a 660-square-foot retail space on a 2.4-acre parcel of land on east CR 30A, north of Williams Street.
The project, previously known as Chateau 30A, is being reviewed by the county’s senior planner, Brian Underwood and will go before the planning commission during a Jan. 14 meeting.

Last edited by a moderator: