• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
As with most things in life, it's the idiots that ruin it for everyone.

I witnessed a moron in a golf cart drive right through the intersection of 30A/SR 83 this summer on the bike path. As if the crosswalk was for him. He had a very small child in the front with him that he was holding with one hand and the other on the wheel with a beer in it. Mom and another child were on the back. I attempted to inform him that he wasn't supposed to be on the bike path with a cart, much less a plated cart. He told me to F off and the if I didn't like he would run me the F over. Yeah tourists!!

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
As with most things in life, it's the idiots that ruin it for everyone.

I witnessed a moron in a golf cart drive right through the intersection of 30A/SR 83 this summer on the bike path. As if the crosswalk was for him. He had a very small child in the front with him that he was holding with one hand and the other on the wheel with a beer in it. Mom and another child were on the back. I attempted to inform him that he wasn't supposed to be on the bike path with a cart, much less a plated cart. He told me to F off and the if I didn't like he would run me the F over. Yeah tourists!!

WCSO and Sheriff Mike Atkinson, please take note and start enforcing our traffic laws on 30A!!!

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
ummm... like you're correct about why Collision insurance would be cheaper. Collision as you probably know is not required, and is a luxury add/rider on to the Liability Insurance you are required to carry. Since it appears you're willing to look into this analytically through math, much like insurance companies, you'll be happy to know that the reason liability is much cheaper on LSV's than on 2000 lb regular vehicles, also has to do with mathematics, and probabilities, and physics equations related to mass, speed, etc., and statistical analysis of injury claims paid for different vehicle types, weights, speed averages, to do date.

You seem to be arguing that since LSVs are cheaper to insure, they are safe ("Opponents say they're dangerous, yet insurance companies continue to beg to differ." If that's not what you are arguing, let me know.

In fact, insurance companies do know that LSV's are dangerous and they have their own crash test data to show that:

Taking the slow lane by storm: Insurance for low-speed vehicles

[...]
Crashes and LSVs

In recent IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) crash tests, the GEM e2 electric vehicle and the Changan Tiger Star minitruck were put to the test. In crashes with a Smart Fortwo (the smallest car on the road that meets crashworthiness standards) the LSV suffered damage severe enough to lead to debilitating injury or death for all of its passengers.

The Tiger Star minitruck was tested in an offset crash with a Ford Ranger XL. Again, the damage was significant enough to indicate debilitating injury, including neck injuries in real-world collisions.

The results were published in an IIHS news release in May 2010, where the combination of vehicles and LSVs on the roads was called a "deadly combination."[...]

By the way, I assumed you were talking about relative cost to insure LSVs vs automobiles as your proof of insurance companies insistence on the safety of LSVs. I made an error taking that claim at face value. Given that insurance rates for LSVs increase by 600 to 900 percent if they simply go 25 mph (as opposed to 20), it's obvious that insurance companies do not think LSVs are safe either.

Lower-speed carts all the rage

Thousands of residents in The Villages are on a waiting list to get their low-speed vehicles made a little slower.

Why bother?

Because dropping the speed from 25 mph to 20 mph can make a huge difference in the cost of insurance, tag fees and registration costs.

“When you have a street legal vehicle, your insurance is costing anywhere $600 to $900 a year; on a regular cart, you’re around $100,” said Greg Kargula, sales manager at Columbia Parcar in Lady Lake. [...]

After looking into it more, insurance companies do not beg to differ on the safety question. They know that LSVs are not safe when they are used outside of gated communities mixed in with 2 and 3 ton cars and SUVs going 25 to 40 mph. Exactly like how they are being used on 30A.

luca brazzi

Banned
Jan 6, 2013
I'd love to wheel into a parking place at Rosemary Beach in a BMW Isetta just to see how the powers that be would react.

VoiceOfReason

Beach Comber
Jan 11, 2015
It would be nice if golf carts exercised some common courtesy and pulled over to let the traffic go by them when they have backed up traffic 10 cars behind them. Same thing with the tour de France bikers who refuse to use the BIKE path.

second wind

Beach Lover
Feb 18, 2013
Yesterday we did observe a cream top LSV with a flat tire it on 30A...was left on the side of the road with two young guys walking away from it. for a split second we thought about stopping...

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Here's one more "whine". Tell your moron LSV drivers to stay off the "no motorized vehicles" bike path. They should at least be able to read much less act responsibly.

seagull, I wouldn't consider obeying the law to be a 'whine'. I'm all for enforcing laws you speak of. This is just as useful as saying that you support the laws that make domestic violence a criminal offense.