• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
Walton is homophobic.

There is a very strong and professional "gay" community in the south end.

Alford must go to the Baptist Church in DFS.

A lot of people in this county live in fear of change and fear of anything different. It comes from living in a small little world without education, without travel, without differing points of view.

seabythegrove

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2012
The generalization that Walton County is homophobic is the same as saying Walton County is racist or any other negative connotation. Homophobes, racist, haters, liberals, conservatives, etc. exist everywhere. Please don't characterize me as such...

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Walton County Website:

ISSUANCE OF SAME-SEX MARRIAGE LICENSES IN WALTON COUNTY
Under the direction of U.S. District Judge Robert L. Hinkle’s clarifying order dated January 1, 2015, the Walton County Clerk of Courts & County Comptroller’s Office will begin issuing same-sex marriage licenses beginning at 8:00 a.m. on Tuesday, January 6, 2015. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. – 4:30p.m., Monday through Friday.

Effective immediately, the Walton County Clerk & Comptroller’s Office will no longer perform marriage ceremonies. “Due to limited resources and facilities, we are no longer able to offer this service,” says Alex Alford, Clerk & Comptroller. Upon request, couples will be provided information regarding options available for this service, including regularly ordained ministers or elders in communion with some churches, other ordained clergy, and notaries public of the state of Florida.

I can understand if they want to get out of the marriage ceremony business but come on... why now? That does say a lot about our county govt.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Q. Why is there a Holmes County?
A. So even Waltonians have people to look down upon (although I'm sure some look up to them).

Leaders Protest In Holmes County

From WJHG.com

Local religious leaders expressed their opposition to same sex marriage Tuesday. A new committee formed in Holmes County met on the steps of its courthouse to protest the decision, and the group says voters feel silenced. As gay couples across Florida prepare to marry, others say it's a step in the wrong direction and goes against their core beliefs.

"Marriage is between a man and a woman. We were created to procreate, to have children and multiply the earth," explained Holmes County resident Gail Messer.

Many in the Holmes County religious community agree. They recently established the Concerned Citizens for the Positive Development for Holmes County Committee.

"We want to have our voices heard that we need to uphold the will of the people, and what Judge Hinkle did was obviously overturn the will of the people," Committee Chair Pastor Eddie Eaton said.

As reported on WZEP AM 1460, U.S. District Judge Robert Hinkle ruled the ban on same sex marriage unconstitutional last summer after Florida residents voted to define marriage as between a man and a woman in 2008.

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
Q. Why is there a Holmes County?
A. So even Waltonians have people to look down upon (although I'm sure some look up to them).

Leaders Protest In Holmes County

From WJHG.com

Local religious leaders expressed their opposition to same sex marriage Tuesday. A new committee formed in Holmes County met on the steps of its courthouse to protest the decision, and the group says voters feel silenced. As gay couples across Florida prepare to marry, others say it's a step in the wrong direction and goes against their core beliefs.

"Marriage is between a man and a woman. We were created to procreate, to have children and multiply the earth," explained Holmes County resident Gail Messer.

Many in the Holmes County religious community agree. They recently established the Concerned Citizens for the Positive Development for Holmes County Committee.

"We want to have our voices heard that we need to uphold the will of the people, and what Judge Hinkle did was obviously overturn the will of the people," Committee Chair Pastor Eddie Eaton said.

As reported on WZEP AM 1460, U.S. District Judge Robert Hinkle ruled the ban on same sex marriage unconstitutional last summer after Florida residents voted to define marriage as between a man and a woman in 2008.

Amazing that this ultra conservative BS still happens in 2015. Wednesday on NBC this lady..I think...twanged live from Johnny Holmes Co. that "mareg is betwixt a man and a woooman." Cleary she hadnt checked a mirror in a while.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
"We want to have our voices heard" - Pastor Eddie Eaton

What's that you said? I can't hear you over all the wedding bells ringing.:clap:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Is this really a big surprise to anyone?
Not really. Pretty sure our county got sued years ago for the Nativity scene on the courthouse lawn (separation of church and state etc.) but it still goes up every year.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Not really. Pretty sure our county got sued years ago for the Nativity scene on the courthouse lawn (separation of church and state etc.) but it still goes up every year.

Not sure that there was a lawsuit but I do remember the ACLU's arrival when Quinn McMillan was Sheriff and they put a stop to him leading prayer prior to football games over the schools public address system, put a stop to the use of prisoners being put to work building churches from the ground up and the Nativity scene was also an issue, along with the 10 Commandments being posted in the Courthouse (those did come down).

I'd personally have no problem with the Nativity scene if all religions were represented but that's never been the case. I do have problems with Christmas Reflections because it's not a function of the City to close off public streets and charge people money to drive around the lake yard (at Christmas time ONLY). People are not charged any other time of the year for any other occasion. Christmas Reflections is a private organization period!

As for the same sex marriage issue...the ACLU is involved and I believe this is pure, unadulterated homophobia. I do believe the bigots in the Church are allowed to be heard (freedom of speech yada, yada, add nauseaum) but I don't believe ANY religious organization or government entity has the right to tell someone who they can or can't marry, who they can or can't love or dictate what goes on between 2 consenting adults behind closed doors. It's none of our business!!

The Churches in this area have the absolute right to be offended in regard to same sex marriage. I have the absolute right to call them homophobic bigots!