• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I take it that Mr. Davis is the owner or part owner of the property? Is this the same Mr. Davis that the state "bought" a million dollar plus piece of property to "protect" Eglin AFB from development and he still owns the property? And the same guy who recently sold the school district property to build a future school? And isn't he the same guy who has contributed thousands to all of Walton County's elected officials?

:scratch: Now that this info has come to light and he is directing all correspondence to his attorney seems like some good ol" Walton county back scratching is behind all this.

ann watson

Banned
Jun 26, 2012
Seagrove Beach
Normally zoning or land use code decisions are decided on a case by case basis by the planning commission and the BCC. There is no precedent set by previous court decisions. Also, decisions are not normally fought by property owners unless you have a ton of money like Jay Odom has. If Walton County had ridgid zoning codes instead of vague land use codes, Jay Odom would never have won his case if his request did not fall in a proper zoning area. Proper zoning is the difference between controlled well planned growth and helter schelter development.

I believe Mr. Davis also has a ton of money. Possibly more than Mr. Odom. And both seem to have a lot of influence with politicians. I understand Odom managed to have a highway moved to accommodate one of his developments. And since Mr. Davis is already deferring to his lawyer, I suspect that he's able to out lawyer his opponents.

Last edited:

VoiceOfReason

Beach Comber
Jan 11, 2015
I think this is a horrible idea. Worse then the dollar general. As far as density goes, Walton county has already screwed the pouch on that one. IE they approved another hotel to go into the land next to Rosemary Beach and we know how crowded that area already is. Look at the Seacrest beach beach access area that they share with Sunset. No way that can accommodate that much density. Plus Alys Beach has a ton of more growing to go. However at least they are putting in a boutique upscale hotel. A Ramada Inn is on the lower end of the hotel chains and I believe it will negatively impact property values throughout Seagrove. What's next? Walmart? Tattoo parlors? Scooter Rentals? Fast Food? Night Clubs? It just doesn't fit with the current zoning and will bring in more of the spring break crowd that has pulled down the PCB property values, which they are now having to figure out how to clean it up. I know Seaducer said something along the lines of being pro property rights but this infringes/devalues the property rights and values of the property in Seagrove and possibly the entire 30A. If you want to develop your property to the max be my guest but make sure your can account for the water drainage and have a little more class then putting in a Ramada Inn, motel 6, ect. The Chateau works, Ramada Inn doesnt

ann watson

Banned
Jun 26, 2012
Seagrove Beach
Are they building a Ramada Inn too? And I thought Butterfly already rented scooters in Seagrove Beach. I also hate what's happened to Seagrove Beach but more building and development is coming and there appears to be no stopping it. That's why I moved away from Seagrove. What we found in Seagrove Beach and 30a more than 20 years ago is gone forever.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
The points being made in the blog are all valid and consistent with proper land use development for the proposed area.

ricky bobby

Banned
Aug 24, 2011
Tallahassee, Fl
"spirit" of the code doesn't hold much water in the legal process. And the discretion of the county commissioners is what should worry some people. Money usually is a big influence on the discretion of politicians.