• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
There's never been the snob issue like you seem to want to replay. It's about quality of life. It's about getting away from gridlock traffic and overcrowding. I have pride in my hometown and large hotels are ugly, not the people that stay in them (although there will be carloads of that type come spring break).

Again, I smell hypocrisy. If this structure was going up next door to you, I doubt you would be defending it.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Is the developer of the proposed Hampton Inn promising guests beach access? Isn't there a public beach access across the street from the Tom Thumb? And what is the argument going to be going forward? I don't think "We're better than trashy people who stay in chain hotels" is going to stand up as a legal argument.

I stay in Hampton Inns when I travel because it's one of the best values for my Hilton Honors Points. I have never seen people of a class I wouldn't associate with. I can't say they didn't look at me and feel the opposite.

luca brazzi

Banned
Jan 6, 2013
There's never been the snob issue like you seem to want to replay. It's about quality of life. It's about getting away from gridlock traffic and overcrowding. I have pride in my hometown and large hotels are ugly, not the people that stay in them (although there will be carloads of that type come spring break).

Again, I smell hypocrisy. If this structure was going up next door to you, I doubt you would be defending it.

"Big hotels are ugly". Now there's a compelling legal argument. If you want ugly, just look at the Emerald Grand.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Oh right. Legal argument trumps common sense. My bad.

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
Forget all this legal stuff and lets talk traffic! During lunchtime from January to March 15, I can do the drive from Eastern Lake to the gym at Watercolors in 8 minutes. During the tourist season it has taken me 45 minutes to get to Seaside!! I don't like the hotel in my neighborhood but legally speaking, planning had no alternative but to approve it. My suggestion.. Find every piece of dirt you can on our commissioners and bring it forward, just like our national politicians do and get them to vote NO!!:D

luca brazzi

Banned
Jan 6, 2013
Legal stuff always trumps any other argument. When murderer walks because some cop didn't read him his rights, legal stuff trumps common sense. If the county commission votes it down and the developers take legal action the courts usually don't consider emotionally charged arguments. If I sunk over a million bucks into a piece of land with plans to develop it and it got the ax you better believe I'd go to court.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Again, the core of this issue is who makes the zoning laws. Is it elected officials? Is it appointed members of a board who arbitrarily set whatever standards they want? It was rather quietly exposed that the rules were significantly changed last spring. I'm a working stiff who has to work 12 hours a day to keep my head above water, so I can't attend many meetings, but surely some citizen's group can give me a little more insight in how this process works, and why it is apparently going downhill.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Again, the core of this issue is who makes the zoning laws. Is it elected officials? Is it appointed members of a board who arbitrarily set whatever standards they want? It was rather quietly exposed that the rules were significantly changed last spring. I'm a working stiff who has to work 12 hours a day to keep my head above water, so I can't attend many meetings, but surely some citizen's group can give me a little more insight in how this process works, and why it is apparently going downhill.
From what I have read it is evidently the lawyers of the developers.

Easternlake lady

Beach Comber
Jun 17, 2013
Wow - I just spent my Saturday afternoon watching the video of the planning commission meeting. I have to say I was so impressed and proud of all of those citizens and representatives who spoke in opposition to the Hampton Inn project. From Seagrove Baptist church representatives to neighborhood association presidents to urban planners to attorneys and, most importantly, residents of 30a communities and specifically Eastern Lake residents, many valid arguments were made. So sorry that the planning commission saw fit to pass it.

A great concern I have is that the County Commissioners will follow the advice of the Planning staff and the Planning Commission attorney (Mark ?) and automatically approve it as well because it meets the strict criteria (measurements) of the development policy of VMU. As Ms. Harris stated, is there never a time when the Planning Commission should use discernment to determine if a project should be approved? If not, just let the developer enter the project site plan, including number of proposed parking places, number and type of VMU buildings, height of light poles, traffic study findings, proposed drainage system, etc. into a software program and the screen will say "APPROVED" or "DENIED". No need for a Planning Commission or for a development proposal to go to the County Commission.

Sorry to sound cynical, but I just don't understand why citizens VALID concerns can't be taken into account!