• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
Our land use code is not the same as rigid area zoning codes are. There is plenty of room for interpretation in the code. I agree that if both the Planning Commission and BCC decide to allow the project it is probably a dead issue. The point is there is enough varibles and serious issues regarding the project to allow an interpretation that is not in the interest of the developers. Drainage, COMPATIBILITY, traffic and I am sure others can be found, come to mind. Emotion does not enter the equation, but common sense and the uniqueness of the area certainly does.

Every one of these points mentioned here was brought up at the Planning Commission meeting by concerned residents. Every one of these concerns was shot down at the meeting by the developer's attorney who detailed his interpretation of the codes. The Planning Commission bought off on this bs.....In fact, as I recall one member even congratulated the attorney on his thorough preparation in defending the proposal. Common sense was not a part of any of this. The desire for "Uniqueness" was considered an emotion. Drainage, compatibility and traffic were all brought up by numerous residents, and each point was shot down by the developers attorney who provided his interpretation of the law. And the planning commission bought off on that interpretation (at least three of them did).

There are plenty of variables, but it appeared that the 3 members of the planning commission who voted in favor of the developers were either: 1. Not knowledgable enough of the codes to vote against the attorney; 2. Intimidated by the developers and their attorney or 3. Fearful of repercussions from the developers side if they voted against them. If this is the case, hopefully the BCC does not feel this same intimidation.

On the same subject but off the subject, I am a little suspicious of what the developer's plans are for the 600 sq ft portion of the VMU space that is not going to be part of the hotel. When asked, there was a lot of hesitation from the developer....he mentioned something like "maybe they would sell shirts or suntan oil or rent bikes....." Nothing firm. I find it hard to believe that a developer who has this Hampton Inn idea so thoroughly researched and planned out doesn't know what his plan is for that 600sq ft. What is usually near a Hampton Inn? Is a Waffle House next? Just sayin'.

ann watson

Banned
Jun 26, 2012
Seagrove Beach
Keep in mind that the county commissioners are the ones who have received thousands in campaign contributions from Mr. Davis, not to mention the thousands that he's contributed to the sheriff, school superintendent and some of the school board members.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Keep in mind that the county commissioners are the ones who have received thousands in campaign contributions from Mr. Davis, not to mention the thousands that he's contributed to the sheriff, school superintendent and some of the school board members.

Everyone that is feeling upset, defeated, disappointed here because of the Planning Commission's decision needs to keep one thing in mind. Mr. Davis may have lots of money, but we have lots of people. The opposing interest this generated and organized in just a couple of weeks came within one vote of getting it pushed back from planning. I'm really proud of the SWCC and the "Not on My 30A" group for the progress it made.

I also think the opposition is much larger than what was represented at the meeting. Things haven't been going right for a long time on 30A. It's time to change.

bentley williams

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
SoWal
I've seen this Walton Family movie before.

The planning commission approves. If enough voters raise a ruckus, the BCC will vote against on compatability issues. It's the gray area that is open to interpretation and lawyers are stymied. Developers have the money but the public has the votes.

Having said that, the county has rolled over many times because of fear of lawsuits. Or backed down when sued.

If it is approved then the people can sue and drag it out. No hotel wants to open with 2 black eyes.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
The BCC has a variety of options to stop the project or reduce its size without gray areas or a lawsuit.

Simplest solution is for them to not grant the Preservation Buyout.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I've seen this Walton Family movie before.

The planning commission approves. If enough voters raise a ruckus, the BCC will vote against on compatability issues. It's the gray area that is open to interpretation and lawyers are stymied. Developers have the money but the public has the votes.

Having said that, the county has rolled over many times because of fear of lawsuits. Or backed down when sued.

If it is approved then the people can sue and drag it out. No hotel wants to open with 2 black eyes.

And hopefully MC Davis realizes that should he continue with a full court press lumbering this project to fruition, despite all of his past good works, he will 'go out' with the shiners on his reputation and legacy. Reputations are hard to come by, easy to lose and no amount of money can ever really repair one once damaged.

Great idea not to call it a Hampton Inn. Maybe they could call it the 'Hamlet Inn' with no overt affiliation with Hilton or any other chain or franchise. And since everyone is so consumed with chains and franchises that don't belong, perhaps they can close the Tom Thumb store and any other "chain operation" that may be operating along 30a. Would you be OK with a hotel called Motel 7?
Wasn't Tom Thumb grandfathered in? Or was it allowed because it no independent gas station was interested in building on 30A? I've always wondered about this. I mean, you can't have people running out of gas on 30A. I for one frequently run low. Couldn't make it to 331.

luca brazzi

Banned
Jan 6, 2013
Although I realize it's highly unlikely, how would most of you feel if the owners of the Watercolor Inn were to sell out to Omni Hotels or enter into a franchise agreement with another hotel chain or group?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Although I realize it's highly unlikely, how would most of you feel if the owners of the Watercolor Inn were to sell out to Omni Hotels or enter into a franchise agreement with another hotel chain or group?

That is fine. Hotel and its density already exists. Doesn't really matter about the name.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Wasn't Tom Thumb grandfathered in? Or was it allowed because it no independent gas station was interested in building on 30A?

IIRC, you can't ban based on whether a business is independent or a franchise that's part of a national chain; it has to be for other reasons. The 'no drive through' rule for 30-A effectively kept a lot of fast food chains out because it's a necessary part of their business model. But they couldn't explicitly say 'no fast food chain restaurants' in the land plan ( or whatever it's called) and eventually a Subway that didn't need a drive-through did open up rather uneventfully along the road and there was briefly a Lee's Chicken franchise in IIRC, Gulf Place.