• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Anyone who thinks roundabouts are a good idea should go over to Pier Park and watch people attempt to navigate their roundabouts. Noone has a clue how to drive in them.

Roundabouts have to be large to become a circular flow of yielding instead of a wheel of confusion.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I am curious. Have the area environmentalists weighed in on all of this? Are they attending meetings? It seems to me that incresing construction and land development, vehicle emitted smog (or any other), garbage, over-use of land and ocean (increased foot traffic, fishing, etc, WILL upset 30A's fragile eco system, not to mention quality of human life. I know many who come to 30A to heal, rejuvinate and enjoy nature.

Community members from Purtee much every group plus a whole lot more have been attending lots of meetings.

ann watson

Banned
Jun 26, 2012
Seagrove Beach
I am curious. Have the area environmentalists weighed in on all of this? Are they attending meetings? It seems to me that incresing construction and land development, vehicle emitted smog (or any other), garbage, over-use of land and ocean (increased foot traffic, fishing, etc, WILL upset 30A's fragile eco system, not to mention quality of human life. I know many who come to 30A to heal, rejuvinate and enjoy nature.
I thought M.C. Davis was THE environmentalist in Northwest Florida.

Glambo

Beach Comber
May 2, 2013
At our most heavily trafficked intersection, 30-A and 395, I just don't see how a roundabout would work,as long as the bike path is involved. The only way I could see a roundabout there is if the bike path was re-routed south of 30-A which has many property rights issues involved, or re-routed much further north to Grove Street or Forest. Then you still have to deal with the lack of right of way to build a large enough roundabout.
The roundabout project in Washington State incorporated all of that (pedestrian,bike path) I believe. A roundabout moves traffic, prevents t-bone collisions, and can eliminate the need for additional lanes (395 at 30-A would be right turn lane Westbound, protected left turn lane Eastbound). Either way, right of way would have to be purchased at fair market value by the county. Probably not going to happen...unless locals and state put up some money, as was the case in Washington State.
There are other methods of reducing gridlock at intersections: add a lane. This does nothing to calm traffic in my opinion.
The ideas of more perpendicular avenues between 30-A and 98 is dangerous to the protected forest areas and/or invites more development in the area(s) if any,
that are not protected.

Glambo

Beach Comber
May 2, 2013
Roundabouts have to be large to become a circular flow of yielding instead of a wheel of confusion.

You are correct, they can be large. Protected left turn lanes also take up a good amount of real estate.