• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Thousands of dollars are missing and it takes weeks to look in the car of the person who regularly does the deposits? Why was this not the first place they checked as soon as it was found missing?

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
FREEPORT-- A missing deposit bag from Freeport City Hall has been located.
Last month, officials at Freeport City Hall reported a deposit bag containing nearly $5,000 missing.
On Monday, a Walton County investigator found the missing bag in one of the employee's cars .
Deputies say the bag fell down on the floorboard and behind the seat.
Everything was accounted for and turned back over.
=============================================================================================

Nothing to see here, please move along...

Really, does anyone truly believe this?

Next Freeport will use this excuse when they loose money to pay back another County Loan...

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
John, why not go ask the sheriff for the investigation notes? I realize this won't do any good but it's fun trying. I lost a pocket knife and looked all over for it. I am not the most tidy person to what I have in my truck but I tore it a apart and didn't find it. Year later slammed on my brakes and the thing slid out from underneath the drivers seat. Not saying this is what happened, not saying that there should not be accountability but sometimes mistakes happen. The funny thing is, according to the news reports they found it with nothing missing, including the checks. Had someone stole it and was intent on using the cash you would think they would have got rid of the checks. So in closing I have given you a reasonable alternative to the conspiracy theory you want to perpetuate. I will now go put on my aluminum hat and see if I can contact those folks at Roswell because what they got buried there is real!

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Wells,

You fail to recognize the complete lack of competency of the employee. Someone tasked with handling large sums of public funds should not wait one month to thoroughly search their vehicle for a missing money bag (which is larger than your knife).

Additionally, just because nothing was missing doesn't mean the intent wasn't there to steal.

That's why the title of the post is who are they related too? A normal employee at a governmental agency that was this incompetent would be discipline or terminated.

But this is Walton County where unqualified employees continue to collect pay checks and benefits while making "mistakes" on a daily basis. In this case, its a city employee. Didn't Freeport have an issue with a fire dept employee not being certified for years? Got paid...Got Benefits. Its a pattern.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
John G, it is not only governmental employees who make mistakes, it is many others. One I can think of immediately is the one in the White House and the team that is there supporting him. If you are of the opinion that those employees in the private sector do not make mistakes, you are operating under false impressions. If you can do better, either run for office or move to a place more suitable to your way of life. Some of us here recognize the faults, ways and attempts to do as well as possible in Walton County and accept what we have while striving for necessary improvements. Often changing things in life takes time, of which I have very little left. So I, along with others, do the best we can with what we have and are grateful to live in such a wonderful area.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Andy A, you are right and I am wrong. It's all Unicorns and Rainbows in Walton County. I just need to open my eyes and take it all in.

Thanks.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
John G, every location where one lives can stand improvement, including Walton County. It is just that I can accept it with the intent to make it better.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Don't blame the investigators - they have many, MANY cases and due to transfers, promotions and retirements :), there are only a handful of people left in the Criminal Investigations Division at the moment.

but just an observation from a lifetime of cash handling - and I'm sure I know the employee but I don't know which one it is - when you make a bank run for your employer, you don't make any other stops, you don't do it on your way home...you leave your office, go to the bank, and come back to your office with the deposit slip. If you have to slam on your brakes and the bag goes flying (a distinct possibility in Freeport or on 331), you stop and locate that bag ASAP.

And if protocol or policy is that an employee makes a bank run on the way home...that needs to change.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I agree Shallowsnole.. I am pretty sure the investigators jumped on this the same day they heard of it. But finding it in an employees vehicle weeks later is not acceptable. The timeline just doesnt jive to me. My question is "who did they report it to?" "Why wasnt the person responsible for making that deposit questioned/searched THAT day?" Every job that I have ever worked at that I was responsible for making deposits required the deposit slip back at the office THAT day, the next morning at the VERY latest.