• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

roger that

Beach Comber
Jan 26, 2015
Tell your chicken to be careful crossing 30-A......

This hearkens back to the noise ordinance from a few years back.
Yes...there was a decibel threshold established
Yes...the WCSO and code enforcement were supposed to enforce it
No...nobody knew how to take accurate level readings resulting in erroneous issues both ways
No...it was not clearly enforced and in many cases over enforced without meter proof.

It was a mess that finally just went away.

I'm all about the chicken and the egg thing, though. It boils down to who was there first. It's just like people who buy homes next to busy airports and then beeatch about the noise. Sorry...the airport was there. You came later knowing it was there. Too bad so sad.

If the offending establishment was there first and operates legally within prescribed limits, then, it's not much of a case and comes down to trying to work it out with the business that has no legal obligation to change a thing if they don't want to. I think a lot of businesses want to be good stewards of 30A, but it may take congenial conversations to make that happen.

.... because of the ever increasing traffic congestion or his egg may get scrambled. Also, haven't seen any airports along 30-A either. What I have seen reading through this Forum's posts is the oh so greatly overused and myopic argument that if you do not like a situation then just move or the "i was here first" mantra typically used by grade schoolers. But to your point of view I would agree that one should be very cautious about moving in next to a historically loud venue. I can't see those owners trying to work out anything and typically you get "I will run my business the way I want to. I'm not doing anything wrong." That is a no win situation. But ever increasingly along 30-A especially with the ever increasing Village Mixed Use sites, those loud and obnoxious venues were NOT there first. Those VMU sites are typically 75% Residential and 15% commercial. That is when the minority offending venues are violating the rights of the majority. That is also why Noise Ordinance 2014-16 was passed by the BCC. You are going to see much more enforcement of this Ordinance as the summer season gets going. Tell your chicken to be careful.

ecopal

Beach Fanatic
Apr 26, 2005
Airports do attempt to limit noise with sound barriers and encourage of the develpment of quieter jet engines.

Along highways the govenment has erected sound barriers.

The problem with some businesses along 30 A is they do not even try to mitigate noise or nuisances .

Go to the rear of most restaurants along 30A and their is no sound barrier screening aroud kitchen blowers or massive air conditioners.

This is not a legal issue-it is common courtesy.

If my neighbor came to me and said my AC was disturbing him I would build a screen around my AC. If my window was open while I was listening to loud music in my house I would close it at a neighbors request. If my outside speakers were disturbing my neighbor I would turn down the volume.

Would you really trust a restaurant to fix your food if its owner has the attitude that " I will run the business the way I want to" and does not care about the concerns of residents.

It is not unreasonable to ask a business to at least attempt to minimize nuisances in consideration of residents.

VoiceOfReason

Beach Comber
Jan 11, 2015
If the ways to fix the problem are such easy and inexpensive to install, I would offer the business owner to pay for the cost on installing the items. If someone is seaking a benifit from a expenditure, it seems only right they should be the one for pay for. I have spoken with people on the planning an development office on numerous occasions and it is almost impossible to have any land rezoned village mixed use or commercial and most the commercial businesses along 30A have been here for awhile. Curious to where these bars and places are that are just popping up and were not here first considering there is hardly any commercial land around and the land there is was here or had been zoned that way. If I wanted peace and quiet, I wouldn't buy a piece of property backing up to the RedBar, Pandoras, Shades, Whiskey Bravod,Old Florida Fish House, Local Catch or McTighs. I'm shocked how little research and due diligence people seem to do when looking for a place to live.

ecopal

Beach Fanatic
Apr 26, 2005
it is a good point that one should exercise "due diligence" prior to buying a property.

The problem is when the source of the noise pollution is built after you purchase your property.

What about people who have owned their property for over a decade and a new restaurant is built with massive AC and exhaust fans, and early morning delivery and garbage pickup?

The business should have common courtesy to mitigate the noise pollution with sound barriers.

The county should have regulations requiring such mitigation when a business adjoins a residential area.

roger that

Beach Comber
Jan 26, 2015
It may be the Vof R but certainly not the voice of logic.

If the ways to fix the problem are such easy and inexpensive to install, I would offer the business owner to pay for the cost on installing the items. If someone is seaking a benifit from a expenditure, it seems only right they should be the one for pay for. I have spoken with people on the planning an development office on numerous occasions and it is almost impossible to have any land rezoned village mixed use or commercial and most the commercial businesses along 30A have been here for awhile. Curious to where these bars and places are that are just popping up and were not here first considering there is hardly any commercial land around and the land there is was here or had been zoned that way. If I wanted peace and quiet, I wouldn't buy a piece of property backing up to the RedBar, Pandoras, Shades, Whiskey Bravod,Old Florida Fish House, Local Catch or McTighs. I'm shocked how little research and due diligence people seem to do when looking for a place to live.

You're saying that if one is the perpetrator of a noise source that is irritating to its neighbors that the neighbors are the one that should pay for the remedy? Really! This post has not stated anything about converting existing commercial areas to Village Mixed Use. The discussion has been about existing ( and future) VMU areas. If you were talking to the Planning Board you are both confused. The existing businesses you mentioned are all reputable stand alone businesses not located in VMUs are fine. One knows they are there and they are relatively independent of disturbing their neighbors. The post is discussing irresponsible businesses ( really their Owners) in VMUs that have no regard for their neighbor' rights. Businesses in VMUs are located within a predominantly residential neighborhood and whoever was there first each should respect each others rights. Just because you have a business does not give you the right to disrespect others especially when the business percentage of VMUs is small ( 75-15%) to the residential space. And yes, there are businesses located in VMUs along 30-A today that are totally disrespecting their residential neighbors with loud noise issues. I'm shocked at how closely you read or understood the discussion.