• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Good questions. But, really, we just need there to be very few vendors anywhere on the beach. Part of keeping our beaches beautiful and free of "stuff" is to keep them commercial free.

I'm afraid that train left a long time ago. People are going to come and they want chairs and such available. The reason so many vendors are out there is that there is money to be made. Unless you string fence across the county lines I don't see that stopping. What we need to figure out is how to make the atmosphere the best possible. If vendors are not available then Dollar General will make a fortune selling tourists 10 dollar beach chairs.

Mike Smith

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
As Andy A mentioned....My preference would be to ban the vendors from public beaches, too. They are out of control. All these umbrellas and chairs take the prime locations on the beach and then they sit there all day long unoccupied.

Another option short of a complete ban would be to ban any chair & Umbrella set-ups before they are purchased AND occupied. And enforce immediate removal once they become unoccupied or not in use. No more staking out all of the beach in the hops of selling some chairs. One vendor per beach - have them bid on the rights, pricing, limits on the number of chairs, etc.

spaglioni

Beach Lover
Dec 31, 2012
I found the answer. They cannot set-up within one hour of sun-up according to Ch. 22 of the Waterways and Beach Activities.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I'm afraid that train left a long time ago. People are going to come and they want chairs and such available. The reason so many vendors are out there is that there is money to be made. Unless you string fence across the county lines I don't see that stopping. What we need to figure out is how to make the atmosphere the best possible. If vendors are not available then Dollar General will make a fortune selling tourists 10 dollar beach chairs.

I don't think we were covered up in vendors until the last few years. As in everything that comes with our town's growth, Walton County needs new rules to contend with these new issues, and keep our beaches beautiful and open for everyone - whether they use a chair or not. I don't know the answer, but I'm certainly very happy that the County and TDC are tackling it now.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
dollar general selling is fine. I don't mind people bringing their own stuff when they Arrive!! It's just a setup at 6:00AM that may be used by 10:00 or noon or 2:00 or never that day. So YES let's just all bring our own.