• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
The recreational facilities at the bridge are one of the few times Walton County has thought long term. As the beaches continue to get more crowded and disputed, bay usage is going to increase exponentially.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
The new bridge is way higher than the "old" bridge. If they are planning on keeping it, it looks weird to me. I'm to young to remember the draw bridge that was there originally. But, I did enjoy reading about it in the book "the way we were". After reading the story of Clyde Wells, I had a yearning to go fix up the little concrete block cabins on the north side. I hope they survive the construction, they are a part of our history. Do we have a historical society working on this? Or are they doomed just like the villas?

SRBGirl, the little block cabins were one part of the Bay Grove Motel and yes, they are part of local history but I am fairly certain they will be gone if they aren't already. The Bay Grove Restaurant is long gone. :sosad: The bridgetender's house was a small building on the south side of the causeway and it too has been gone ever since the drawbridge closed.

I don't recall Clyde Wells being in the Way We Were; he was county/circuit judge for many, many years and was killed in a private airplane crash in Pensacola. His son, Kelvin Wells, is our current judge.

I'm glad you had the idea of saving the cabins; I'm all about stuff like that :cool:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
The recreational facilities at the bridge are one of the few times Walton County has thought long term. As the beaches continue to get more crowded and disputed, bay usage is going to increase exponentially.

I didn't realize at the time it was announced what an exceptional addition the rec area would be. Someone deserves big kudos for this! Can't wait to see the final product and go out and hang out under the bridge!

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
It is long overdue to do some kind of beautification/improvements to the causeway. It has looked like a construction site for about twenty years. I can't tell a lot from the hokey computer generated renderings, but my hopes are that quality landscaping will prevail. It should be a showcase for what South Walton is all about.