• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
On April 1st, the Walton County Board of County Commission Administration Department will begin the submission period for their annual beach driving permit lottery. Each year, the county issues 150 permits via the beach driving permit lottery. The in-person submission deadline for inclusion into the lottery will be close of business on May 9th. Applications will be accepted online through May 10th at midnight.

Applications will not be accepted unless all eligibility requirements are met and all documentation is provided at the time of application. Incomplete applications will not be eligible for the lottery draw.

In order to qualify to be entered into the lottery, the following documents must be submitted in the name of the applicant at the time of application:

Proof of full-time residency (Driver's License with Walton County address or Walton County Voter's Registration)
Copy of Driver's License (if using voter registration card as proof of residency)
Copy of Voter Registration (if not a property owner)
Proof of real property ownership (if property owner)
Proof that property taxes are current (if property owner)
Current 4-wheel drive vehicle registration (registered in the State of Florida, in applicants name, 4x4)
Completed 2014 lottery application
Copies must be provided by applicant, and will not be made on behalf of the applicant
Lottery applications will be available on the County’s website beginning April 1st at 12:01am and may be submitted in one of three ways:

Obtain an application from County Administration or the South Walton Annex Planning Department and complete and return it with the required documents to either location.
Download and complete the application and return it, along with required documents, to the County Administration office or South Walton Annex Planning Department.
Submit an application online by completing the web form and attaching required documents. (Link will be active on April 1st at 12:01am - http://www.co.walton.fl.us/FormCenter/Administration-3/2014-Beach-Driving-Permit-Lottery-Applic-49)

If you should have any questions, please contact the Department of Administration at 850-892-8155.

jkmason

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2014
Has anybody received notification regarding the results of the lottery? The drawing was supposed to take place on the 15th. Thanks!

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Last edited:

robvanepps

Beach Lover
Aug 7, 2008
Santa Rosa Bch
County Website: http://www.co.walton.fl.us/index.aspx?nid=896

Then click on the link: 2014 Beach Driving Permit Lottery Results

Which brings you to the link below:
http://www.co.walton.fl.us/DocumentCenter/View/9121

It's unfortunate but my name is not on the list.

What's really unfortunate is seeing the beaches so empty 95% of the time. The reason for the lottery to keep the beaches from being crowded on just a few weekends a year. Seems unfair to me! What's really unfair is: I spent my 2012 bringing my son to an empty beach and had to tell my 4 year old son why we can't drive (the 4x4 vehicle we bought to drive on the beach) on the beach. To keep it positive, I kept answering his question "why, Daddy?", I had to keep telling him "Hey buddy, maybe next year... we will be luck ones"...Then 2013 arrives and again, NO win for us. So, I spent 2013 telling a 5 year old "Sorry dude, It wasn't our year"..."maybe next year is our year". Fast forward to today, where I get to tell my son who been asking everyday if we won. "Hey buddy, looks like we didn't get it this year either"..."maybe if someone doesn't pay for theirs'...we might get lucky but lets keep our hopes down and our spirits up". So, it looks like I will be driving a 6 year old to the beach all year to an empty beach (with maybe 2-20 vehicles on it 300 days a year) and tell him "Sorry dude"... as we will be lugging our fishing gear, mom's beach chair, beach-gear, and sandcastle making stuff down to the waters edge.

I think after today. My son and I will probably give up on driving on the beach. I will probably not tell him next year when I apply for the Beach Driving Lottery. Basically, I am giving up on the 'Maybe next year" hopes. It is sad but true.

That doesn't get in the way of the fact that some individuals were actual winners and they should be happy and congratulated! So, Congrats to all of you who have won and please get out there and drive on the sand!! Make my comments of 'showing up to empty beaches' a false statement.

Thanks for reading and God Bless!

CampCreekLou

Beach Lover
Feb 25, 2005
How maddening.

Why not sell 150 permits for even days, and 150 permits for odd days? Double the revenue, double the opportunity to enjoy this facet of our beach, and not increase the crowding by 1 car?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Keep whining and you'll have to be a boat captain to drive on the beach.

unclecarl

Beach Comber
Feb 9, 2013
Has anyone seen the 2015 version of the beach driving permit application? The link on the Walton County web site does not work.