• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
A message from Alaqua Animal Refuge...

ACTION NEEDED! On April 15, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) will vote on whether or not to open a hunting season this year on Florida black bears.

These bears were just removed from the threatened species list in 2012. At that time, biologists estimated 2,000 to 3,000 bears. This was the last time a statewide count occurred and the proposal is to kill 275 bears each year, likely beginning in the Panhandle. There is no science behind this number and a decision should be shelved until they complete a current bear census before declaring open season on the animal that graces the state’s “Conserve Wildlife” license plates.

Concerned citizens over recent human-bear conflicts should be made aware that there is no scientific evidence that a hunt will be effective in reducing these incidents. Trophy hunting a bear in the woods minding it’s own business doesn’t address the problem. The real issue is large-scale trash management in bear country and stiffer fines for those who feed them.

The Governor’s office and FWC needs to hear from YOU. It only takes a minute to call and let them know that you oppose trophy bear hunting in Florida. Call Governor Rick Scott and email FWC at BearComments@myfwc.com, and commissioners@myFWC.com and say: “I am opposed to opening hunting season on Florida black bears”.

Please share and thank you for being the voice for those who do not have one.

13788_10153770439329616_2254268572124577563_n.jpg

Low Brow

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2014
Concerned citizens over recent human-bear conflicts should be made aware that there is no scientific evidence that a hunt will be effective in reducing these incidents. Trophy hunting a bear in the woods minding it’s own business doesn’t address the problem. The real issue is large-scale trash management in bear country and stiffer fines for those who feed them.

Trash management would not have stopped a single one of the recent bear attacks. The facts are the facts and it is high time that we manage the resource that we are stewards of. A selective bear harvest is good for the human population as well as the bear population.
Furthermore, the Alaqua Animal Refuge is spewing garbage info because the bear hunting proposal being reviewed puts the greater panhandle area to receive the fewest bear tags. The closest area to Walton County that would see a bear hunt will be the northern reaches of Bay/Calhoun county and the Appalachicola National Forest. Eglin area isn't even to be mentioned in the proposal.
The bulk of the bear hunting is to be done in Ocala National Forest(Central Florida) and Big Cypress(South Florida).

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Good points. However, the State of Florida spent years protecting and helping bring back the black bear population and its a success. It is true that trash management (such as North Carolina mountains) makes a big difference in bear behavior but Florida hasn't put into practice any of those practices at this time that I know of. Learning to live with bears will take effort. Killing them takes little effort at all.

Chanticleer Eatery

Beach Comber
Oct 14, 2012
55 Clayton Lane, Grayton Beach
We have to think about the bears everyday at work. Every time we throw trash away at night we all do the bear talk so we don't surprise the bears. We have named them all and cleaned up after them many times. However, we don't have a bear problem we have a people problem. We have done what we can to deter the bears from our dumpster. We worked with WM to get us a bear "resistant" dumpster and that did us no good at all. The bears used the cage they built across the top as a hammock to lay across and pull garbage out of the dumpster. We have improvised - we have two metal clasps holding the side doors closed and put a heavy pallet across the top with truck tie downsstrapped across the pallet and chain the metal cage down with heavy gauge chain and a heavy duty lock. This works well, except for trash day and I swear our bears are on a schedule and know exactly when to come out to eat at Chanticleer. Its surprising to me people don't ask more often why we have our dumpster chained up like that as it is a pretty strange sight!

The answer is better trash protocols all around. Bears should not be used to people, but they are because where there are people there is an easy food source. We need to address our bear/people interaction problem with better garbage management/ not a made in the back lot bear resistant dumpster like WM sent us and certainly not by killing such awesome creatures. The bears that are a problem will most likely be the ones who are not culled during the hunt since they reside in close contact with people. Therefore, the "hunt" will do no good to eliminate the "bad bear" issue it has set out to resolve. I am a realist - I eat meat, grew up on a farm, but I am also a conservationist and feel very strongly we should learn to live with the natural world not eliminate it. I am so sad and disgusted this hunt may take place.

I will do all that I can to stop this hunt and I encourage all of you to do the same. The hunt is not the answer - better control over our waste mgmt system is. Help protect the 'real' locals and contact BearComments@myfwc.com and commissioners@myFWC.com and say: “I am opposed to opening hunting season on Florida black bears”

Low Brow

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2014
I am a realist - I eat meat, grew up on a farm, but I am also a conservationist and feel very strongly we should learn to live with the natural world not eliminate it. I am so sad and disgusted this hunt may take place.

I will do all that I can to stop this hunt and I encourage all of you to do the same. The hunt is not the answer - better control over our waste mgmt system is. Help protect the 'real' locals and contact BearComments@myfwc.com and commissioners@myFWC.com and say: “I am opposed to opening hunting season on Florida black bears”

Nobody is talking about eliminating anything. Deer and turkeys benefit heavily from a limited hunt that has been on going for decades. We have no choice but to manage the animals and that means selectively harvesting some of these animals.

You can put your head in the sand and say no to hunting or you will have the FWC continue to euthanize bears. A dead bear is a dead bear. I am pro hunting. It will help with nusiance neighborhood bears. Many if not most of these problem bears get caught/tagged/and relocated. Once they are relocated they are pushed from their area by other resident bears. Thinning the bear population, which is higher than many other states that do allow limited hunting, has a proven record of reducing bear/human interactions.

Again, nobody wants to kill all the bears. We have a responsibility to manage these animals, no different than deer. It's time to reinstate bear hunting in Florida.

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Nobody is talking about eliminating anything. Deer and turkeys benefit heavily from a limited hunt that has been on going for decades. We have no choice but to manage the animals and that means selectively harvesting some of these animals.

You can put your head in the sand and say no to hunting or you will have the FWC continue to euthanize bears. A dead bear is a dead bear. I am pro hunting. It will help with nusiance neighborhood bears. Many if not most of these problem bears get caught/tagged/and relocated. Once they are relocated they are pushed from their area by other resident bears. Thinning the bear population, which is higher than many other states that do allow limited hunting, has a proven record of reducing bear/human interactions.

Again, nobody wants to kill all the bears. We have a responsibility to manage these animals, no different than deer. It's time to reinstate bear hunting in Florida.

We eat deer and turkey. We don't eat bear. We haven't protected and encouraged population growth of deer and turkey - but we have for bears since they were considered a threatened species due to hunting and development.

I do like the fact that Florida Fish & Wildlife actively monitors and manages bears and it appears that the bear hunt is one of their proposals. Very interesting info on their website.

I just think we as humans have the responsibility to make whatever changes are needed to live with bears and other animals. A trophy sport just doesn't seem right for bears. At least the hunt is highly regulated and for licensed hunters only.

Regardless of your stance on bear hunting, YOU have an opportunity now to voice your opinion:
FWC wants to hear your thoughts on these topics and will provide your feedback to the Commissioners at the April 2015 meeting which will be held in Tallahassee.
Fill out a brief form to submit your thoughts and feedback on these topics

attachment.php

Mama and baby bears in Grayton Beach 2013 | the bears hung out in a tree all day while crowds watched from below. They waited until night time when no one was around to come down (and do their dumpster diving).

Low Brow

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2014
We eat deer and turkey. We don't eat bear. We haven't protected and encouraged population growth of deer and turkey - but we have for bears since they were endangered due to hunting and development.

I do like the fact that Florida Fish & Wildlife actively monitors and manages bears and it appears that the bear hunt is one of their proposals. Very interesting info on their website.

I just think we as humans have the responsibility to make whatever changes are needed to live with bears and other animals. A trophy sport just doesn't seem right for bears. At least the hunt is highly regulated and for licensed hunters only.

Regardless of your stance on bear hunting, YOU have an opportunity now to voice your opinion:
FWC wants to hear your thoughts on these topics and will provide your feedback to the Commissioners at the April 2015 meeting which will be held in Tallahassee.
Fill out a brief form to submit your thoughts and feedback on these topics

We absolutely eat bears. Black bears are a excellent table fare.

Bears have never been in danger due to hunting. That has never been the case, especially in Florida. In fact, I can make an excellent case that because of hunting animal populations thrive. Just look at deer hunting. It's a multi-billion dollar, yes that's billion with a B, business and deer herds have never been stronger.

I have been very much involved with the FWC hearings concerning Bear Hunting. My concern is the knee jerk reaction to hunting by an uninformed populace. People think that hunters want to kill mama and cubs for no reason other than to watch them die. This couldn't be further from reality.

I encourage everyone to at least watch the meetings online and listen to the biologists and sportsman discuss the issue.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
We absolutely eat bears. Black bears are a excellent table fare.

Bears have never been in danger due to hunting. That has never been the case, especially in Florida. In fact, I can make an excellent case that because of hunting animal populations thrive. Just look at deer hunting. It's a multi-billion dollar, yes that's billion with a B, business and deer herds have never been stronger.

I have been very much involved with the FWC hearings concerning Bear Hunting. My concern is the knee jerk reaction to hunting by an uninformed populace. People think that hunters want to kill mama and cubs for no reason other than to watch them die. This couldn't be further from reality.

I encourage everyone to at least watch the meetings online and listen to the biologists and sportsman discuss the issue.

Yes, Florida Black Bears were considered a protected species over a long period of time (not endangered, though some wanted this designation) - due to hunts, development and loss of habitat - according to the FWC. the management plan has some good info about the population of black bears over the years: http://myfwc.com/media/2612908/bear-management-plan.pdf

Perhaps the FWC recommendations are good ones. It does bear discussion...:cool:

You really eat bear?

Low Brow

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2014
You really eat bear?

This is why I am concerned. People are trying to impact the vote of the bear hunts do not even understand the usefulness of the resource.

Bear, Deer, Pig, Turkey, Dove, Quail, Squirrel, Duck(s), Turtle, Rattlesnake, Alligator are all excellent eating that Florida has to offer.