• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GoBuckeyes

Beach Comber
Sep 23, 2013
I'm trying to find a good dog and grill-friendly area to spend the day. We stay in seagrove, but I have no problem with driving to find something. For the dog.. The toughest requirement is that it's a decent place for the dog to be off-leash.. He stays right with us, we don't mind picking up after him and all that, but don't want to be hassled over it. I usually keep him on a screw in leash. We have had really good luck in the national forest areas and fire roads. I've seen gators in the bay and would prefer something on the ocean. For the grill.. Charcoal friendly would be amazing but most places don't seem to allow it. At the very least I would like to be able to use my Weber Q (small propane grill) Any suggestions? We are really comfortable outdoors, don't mind canoe-ing, hiking, pretty much whatever needed to find a good spot. I have heard that Okaloosa Island is a good place to take the dog since it's part of the national park system.... Thanks all!

tomboymuldowney

Beach Comber
Jul 3, 2012
I'm trying to find a good dog and grill-friendly area to spend the day. We stay in seagrove, but I have no problem with driving to find something. For the dog.. The toughest requirement is that it's a decent place for the dog to be off-leash.. He stays right with us, we don't mind picking up after him and all that, but don't want to be hassled over it. I usually keep him on a screw in leash. We have had really good luck in the national forest areas and fire roads. I've seen gators in the bay and would prefer something on the ocean. For the grill.. Charcoal friendly would be amazing but most places don't seem to allow it. At the very least I would like to be able to use my Weber Q (small propane grill) Any suggestions? We are really comfortable outdoors, don't mind canoe-ing, hiking, pretty much whatever needed to find a good spot. I have heard that Okaloosa Island is a good place to take the dog since it's part of the national park system.... Thanks all!

Glad you "don't mind"picking up after your dog. If you are going to have your dog on the beach (leash or no leash) in Walton county you need a permit.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
dogs NEVER ALLOWED OFF LEASH ON 30A Beaches..heavy fines and patrolled daily. But, even on leash dogs NOT allowed on beaches after 8:00AM or before 5:00PM....it's the Law.....( hint times change during the year and DST)..

GoBuckeyes

Beach Comber
Sep 23, 2013
:) Hear you loud and clear! I suppose I was hoping for a remote beach, maybe difficult to access, rather than a public beach. And no we don't mind picking up after him, although many people seem to think it's beneath them to pick up after their pets. To pile on with a random question... When surf fishing, what do you with your catch? Is it legal to gut and put them on ice (not filet, I grill them whole anyway). Yes I have a salt water permit, yes I know about size and catch limits :)

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
contrary to what some people try to tell..ALL beaches in Florida are public..

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
you might have better luck in staying in some of the more "forgotten" coasts , like Mexico Beach, Pt.St. Joe...etc..

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
South Walton is very dog friendly except on the beach. Try taking your family and pup to Grayton Beach State Park or Eden Gardens State Park for grilling and exploring. Dogs not allowed on the beach at Grayton Beach State Park but they are allowed in other areas of the park.

Jackalope

Beach Lover
Jan 24, 2015

That sounds like a great family outing but the only place you'll find a place like that is on a pharmaceutical commercial between episodes of your favorite TV show.