• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
So, is there a news story with any detail? All I find are the short summaries at the Walton Sun and NWF Times. Are any of the BCC willing to be quoted?

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Poppy, I don't profess to speak for all of North Walton but as a resident of NoWal, I'm personally opposed to the project because it flies in the face of the Counties Comprehensive plan. I do believe that we need to be vigilant, good stewards of our environment and protect public beaches from further development and the myriad of problems associated with over-development but the "donor community" attitude galls me. NoWal isn't asking for SoWal's damned hand outs. Those are "our" beaches not just SoWal's and it doesn't matter a tinkers damn where the money comes from to defend them from further erosion and/or over development. NoWal was here long before many of you moved into your beach cottages and million dollar homes/condo's and will be here long after the next category 5 hurricane does to our beaches what it did to Louisiana during Katrina. You are all guests on the beach until mother nature says otherwise.

Thank you for your post Misty. I was curious how the donor community statement would be taken. As I said I was neither for nor against the project and always felt it should be decided by those who were going to be impacted the most by it. Hopefully it has been settled, but if the developer thinks he has a case he will take it to court which is his right just as it's Alan's right no matter how we see it.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
The problem is that even if you don't live in 30A's "brand" of homes or contribute the "property values" it generates "WE" as a County are impacted by pi$$, poor planning and over development. It effects us all either directly or indirectly.

I live in a $60 to $70 thousand dollar (depending on market value) home in NoWal and if you put my home on 30A it would be worth substantially more because of its "location". If a developer decided he was going to negatively impact the value of my property and/or neighborhood I'd do everything in my power to stop it as well especially if it goes against the Comprehensive Plan....but telling me your home is worth more than mine because it sits on the beach or that because your property generates more property taxes that you have the inherent right to use taxpayer money to defend your little piece of paradise and I should be grateful for your handout is ridiculous.

Yes Alan and the developer have the right to sue but losing sight of the bigger picture is foolhardy as Alan Osborne will (I'm sure) learn.

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
So, is there a news story with any detail? All I find are the short summaries at the Walton Sun and NWF Times. Are any of the BCC willing to be quoted?

I am sure Dotty Nist will have a complete story in the Beach Breeze.

And for the record, "donor community" is a term used in many places where a small geographical area carries the rest of the county/state financially. It is what it is.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Hope the money raised to fight this is donated to the county. It appears we are fixing to be sued...

Possibly. But it will probably cost less than defending a criminal investigation into the nepotistic relationship between the planning commission and developers that mysteriously changed the comprehensive plan and then the land development code to permit 125 room establishments with inadequate parking all while traffic on 30A was coming to a gridlock point.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Possibly. But it will probably cost less than defending a criminal investigation into the nepotistic relationship between the planning commission and developers that mysteriously changed the comprehensive plan and then the land development code to permit 125 room establishments with inadequate parking all while traffic on 30A was coming to a gridlock point.

I will be interested to see who you are accusing of nepotistic relationship.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
And for the record, "donor community" is a term used in many places where a small geographical area carries the rest of the county/state financially. It is what it is.

Donor by definition means; One who gives a gift or transfers title to an asset without receiving any consideration in exchange. By definition your term doesn't hold water because in exchange for being the largest tax base in the County (not the State) you have all the amenities anyone could possibly want at a huge expense to both NoWal and SoWal and you are inclined to believe that if it doesn't suit you or yours then you have the right to the lions share of the tax base.

Community means a group of people living living in the same area, having common interests, goals and attitudes.

Where we disagree is that you believe its an inherent right to sue because you have the most toys. I don't agree. I've called you out before jdarg on the attitude that it's SoWal vs NoWal (because the lions share comes from the South end its owed to us). It is OWED to all of US for the County to follow the Comprehensive Plan...that means "Community"!

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Donor by definition means; One who gives a gift or transfers title to an asset without receiving any consideration in exchange. By definition your term doesn't hold water because in exchange for being the largest tax base in the County (not the State) you have all the amenities anyone could possibly want at a huge expense to both NoWal and SoWal and you are inclined to believe that if it doesn't suit you or yours then you have the right to the lions share of the tax base. Community means a group of people living living in the same area, having common interests, goals and attitudes. Where we disagree is that you believe its an inherent right for you to sue because you have the most toys. I don't agree. I've called you out before jdarg on the attitude that it's SoWal vs NoWal (because the lions share comes from the South end its owed to us). It is OWED to all of US for the County to follow the Comprehensive Plan...that means "Community"!

Really? We have all the amenities we could possibly want?

Maybe many in South Walton are tired of fighting for the basics. I have said it before- it's not about the money for me anymore. I am over having decisions made for us by people who don't live in our South Walton community. I am tired of watching money generated here not spent on things we need to keep generating that money. South Walton has different goals and interests than North Walton. We need our own comp plan. We need our own planners. We need our own leaders. We have people in our community who have the education, experience, talent, and vision to take us into an era of preservation and smart development. We don't live in the same area, and we don't have common interests, goals, and attitudes. I figured that out after about a year after moving here.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Really? We have all the amenities we could possibly want?

Maybe many in South Walton are tired of fighting for the basics. I have said it before- it's not about the money for me anymore. I am over having decisions made for us by people who don't live in our South Walton community. I am tired of watching money generated here not spent on things we need to keep generating that money. South Walton has different goals and interests than North Walton. We need our own comp plan. We need our own planners. We need our own leaders. We have people in our community who have the education, experience, talent, and vision to take us into an era of preservation and smart development. We don't live in the same area, and we don't have common interests, goals, and attitudes. I figured that out after about a year after moving here.

Then go the "incorporation route" and see where that gets you.