• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jill Tanner

Beach Fanatic
Jul 17, 2007
www.alaquaanimalrefuge.org
Last night I watched the new documentary Fed Up. It was very well done and really brings up everything we don't want to hear about what we are eating, especially about what our children are eating. Now, for us South Waltonites, we are very lucky because fast food isn't an option. We really don't even think about it. And it shows in the absence of obese people in our area. However, after watching this movie, I really thought about what our children are eating and the fact that school is a huge part of daily intake. What are South Walton schools serving? Bay, Butler, ECMS, and SWHS? Do they have sodas available? Do they have fast food partnerships? Do they have prepackaged processed meats and foods that they just warm? I don't know. I'm asking. (I don't have children yet). I would like to visit all of them soon and see what a normal kid has to choose from every day.

It is actually cheaper to cook whole foods, than buy this garbage. And with all of the great local farms around, imagine the possibilities. If the farms knew what they needed to supply and had a contract, they could offer a better price. Can you imagine the difference it would make in the children of South Walton if they were getting wholes foods without chemicals or sugar added? This already active community could become a super powered role model for the nation! I know when we do have children, I would like to feel confident that my children are getting the proper nutrition. Anyone interested in started a revolution with me? First watch the film, Fed Up. It's on Netflix. Then, post here or email me at jilletanner@gmail.com. Thanks!

Fed Up Website here.

"If you rant and rave everyday, but do nothing, nothing will happen. If you actually stand up do something, you can change the world." - JET

Last edited:

JoeWormwood

Beach Lover
Oct 9, 2008
Last night I watched the new documentary Fed Up. It was very well done and really brings up everything we don't want to hear about what we are eating, especially our children. Now, for us South Waltonites, we are very lucky because fast food isn't an option. We really don't even think about it. And it shows in the absence of obese people in our area. However, after watching this movie, I really thought about what our children are eating and the fact that school is a huge part of daily intake. What are South Walton schools serving? Bay, Butler, ECMS, and SWHS? Do they have sodas available? Do they have fast food partnerships? Do they have prepackaged processed meats and foods that they just warm? I don't know. I'm asking. (I don't have children yet). I would like to visit all of them soon and see what a normal kid has to choose from every day.

It is actually cheaper to cook whole foods, than buy this garbage. And with all of the great local farms around, imagine the possibilities. If the farms knew what they needed to supply and had a contract, they could offer a better price. Can you imagine the difference it would make in the children of South Walton if they were getting wholes foods without chemicals or sugar added? This already active community could become a super powered role model for the nation! I know when we do have children, I would like to feel confident that my children are getting the proper nutrition. Anyone interested in started a revolution with me? First watch the film, Fed Up. It's on Netflix. Then, post here or email me at jilletanner@gmail.com. Thanks!

Fed Up Website here.

"If you rant and rave everyday, but do nothing, nothing will happen. If you actually stand up do something, you can change the world." - JET

You eat your children??? :eek:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I was always thankful my kids wouldnt eat "school food"......

TeaPartyingHard

Beach Comber
Feb 16, 2015
You folks can very likely find school lunch menus listed on the school website. When I was in school, they used to hand out a menu that showed what was being served for the entire month, and they'd post it online. For instance, I found this on the website for Bay Elementary: http://bes.walton.k12.fl.us/menu Though it does look like they still have February menus posted for some reason instead of the ones for this month. You can probably find something similar on the sites for all the other schools you mentioned.

TeaPartyingHard

Beach Comber
Feb 16, 2015
Sigh...Allow me to also point out how completely CRINGE-WORTHY it is that on the school menu on that site, "lettice and tomato" is on the menu. Not "lettuce," but "lettice." You'd think they could try a little harder to spell correctly on a SCHOOL WEBSITE.

TeaPartyingHard

Beach Comber
Feb 16, 2015
As I look through each menu on each school's website, it appears the exact same menu is used for every school in Walton County. So that misspelling is on the website of each and every one of our schools. Bravo!

Jill Tanner

Beach Fanatic
Jul 17, 2007
www.alaquaanimalrefuge.org
As suspected, the menus all offer chicken nuggets, pizza, corn dogs, and some items like hamburgers and hot dogs. I would imagine all of these come prepared in a box and the school cafeteria employees just have to warm them. The ingredients in "foods" like this include every possible disguised sugar, chemicals, and are usually loaded with corn (starch) which Americans get way too much of. I will be further investigating and will report back.

TeaPartyingHard

Beach Comber
Feb 16, 2015
Your next step is to probably find out who the food supplier is for the school district, and what sort of contract they might have. Then maybe you could research local farmers and see what they have to offer, and what prices for their produce might be like if they were to sell it on a large scale. A large part of the expense of eating healthy comes from shipping and transport costs that get passed along to the consumer. Buying local produce that doesn't have as far to travel could mean lower prices. But it would also mean designing seasonal menus that use what is currently available at a particular time of the year. Then you have the hurdle of getting children on board. I don't know many kids who will be excited about losing hamburgers, chicken nuggets, corn dogs, pizza, etc, in exchange for steamed vegetables and heftier salads. You'll probably need to explore local meat suppliers as well.