• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I don't think a separate county is possible, but would like to learn more about how incorporating would work. As pointed out earlier, we have other incorporated areas in Walton County, we aren't asking for something strange. And if our county commissioner districts can use bodies of water to claim things are contiguous, we can do the same for an incorporated area!

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
Residents of NoWal, seem to make this claim over and over. How has the northern part of the county ever "funded" the southern part?

Misty, never say never. Maybe the elected officials in Defuniak are starting to get it based on the no vote for Hampton, but I doubt it.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Residents of NoWal, seem to make this claim over and over. How has the northern part of the county ever "funded" the southern part?

Misty, never say never. Maybe the elected officials in Defuniak are starting to get it based on the no vote for Hampton, but I doubt it.

Do you honestly believe that SoWal paid every dime for the multi-million dollar school(s) that were built there or the multi-million dollar Courthouse Annex? Do you believe you have a Sheriff sub station and police/fire/EMS protection down there because it doesn't cost NoWal a dime? What about the water that is piped to you from the North end?

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
We were here long before you had any of those things m1a1mg and so were those beaches.

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
You must be really old Misty. What's this "we" you speak of? There was industry and agriculture south of the bay more than 100 years ago.

Danny made a claim that the north funded the south. Put up or .............

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Do you honestly believe that SoWal paid every dime for the multi-million dollar school(s) that were built there or the multi-million dollar Courthouse Annex? Do you believe you have a Sheriff sub station and police/fire/EMS protection down there because it doesn't cost NoWal a dime? What about the water that is piped to you from the North end?
The fire protection doesn't cost NoWal a dime. SWFD is an Independent Fire Protection District. As for the EMS SoWal pays for that also in taxes that are sent back down for the SWFD to provide. What about the water, Destin Water Users, South Walton Utilities and Regional Utilities I believe have laid those pipes and maintain them. I believe Freeport, the only government organization that is involved in it.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
You must be really old Misty. What's this "we" you speak of? There was industry and agriculture south of the bay more than 100 years ago.

Danny made a claim that the north funded the south. Put up or .............

This is fairly easy. Walton County was formed in December 1824. So that is almost 191 years of history. SanDestin was the first big development on the coast and it started in the mid-1970's. Prior to Sandestin there was really very little in Sowal. The first bridge across the bay was built in the 1940's. It was a narrow drawbridge. Prior to the bridge the only access was by boat or inland from Bay County on dirt roads. Even into the early 1970's all that was located in Sowal was JD Miller's store, the Grayton store, Barrett's store, Saltzman's store, a few beach cottages, Bay elementary and lots of sand and woods. Until the 1950's the few high school age children attended school in DFS and Sowal students attended Freeport High School into the 1990's. There were simply too few students to justify anything else. One Seagrove Place came along in the early 1980's and Highway 98 was widened in the 80's and 90's. So. until the 1970's, the tax base in sowal was not so big. In fact, land could be purchased very cheap until the 50's and 60's. Simple reason is that beach sand will not grow crops.
Meanwhile, DeFuniak Springs was home of the Winter Chautauqua which included a 4,000 seat auditorium, several large hotels and dozens of large homes. DFS also was home to a college, a couple of large lumber mills, numerous stores and many other amenities. Lakewood, which is known today only as Florida's highest point, was an important rail-head with a large lumber mill and a turpentine operation. Glendale was a small town and Freeport was a thriving port. DFS was home to a shirt factory and a large chicken plant into the 1980's.
Do the math as to which area had the biggest tax base for the first 150 years of Walton history.

Misty, I promise those were not my clothes, I agree the image is frightful. LOL. As far as past politicians, you are right, they are a mixed bag. Not much has changed there and if you read the news around the state, Walton County is not unique in that regard either. We cannot change the past but we can do better in the present and future.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Do the math as to which area had the biggest tax base for the first 150 years of Walton history.

Nuff said.

Misty, I promise those were not my clothes

OH, thank goodness. :D

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
Pick your poison ye dadburn northerners. Danny, while much of what you say about the happenings in the northern part of the county are true, you completely miss the bus on what was going on south of the bay.

http://www.visitsouthwalton.com/history

http://sowal.com/history-of-sowal-and-walton-county-florida

You have any actual facts to support your assertions Danny? I agree, it sounds logical, but business interests in the south paid for a lot. You tell me to do the math, but don't provide any numbers with which to do math. And there was a lot happening in the south before the 1970s.

Finally, I'll move the goal posts a bit. Let's look at the entire history of Walton County, what has paid more to the tax base? North or South?

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Thanks for sharing some history. Very educational and entertaining. I would love to have been able to see what this place looked like back then. But this matter doesn't seem to be about what made the most sense yesterday as it does what is best for today and tomorrow.