• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
http://m.nwfdailynews.com/Section/259/Article/1|467554

Is this the person best suited to represent Walton County to the rest of the nation?

possible "reprimand"? For saying he wanted to "shoot someone in the face"?

How many times must one go through sensitivity training before it realized that the subject is incapable of behavioral change?

There must be numerous potential candidates that can fill this position without further tarnishing the TDC's and Walton's reputation.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Lets see if we can put this all in perspective. First of all, it allegedly happened a year and a half ago. Why is it coming up now? I think I have a reason, and here it is.

There is a group of beachfront property owners who want beach renourishment stopped. They have never attended a workshop on the reason for it, have no idea why it is needed but are afraid they will lose "private property rights" they shouldn't have in the first place. Jim Bagby and the TDC are fully supportive of this effort. I feel sure they would rather find someone who supports their position as head of the TDC instead of a successful ex-manager of Rosemary Beach and retired decorated Marine. They manageed to drive Brad Pickle off which was unfortunate as he was a marine biologist who knew what he was talking about. To any who have followed this issue from its infancy to the present, that the only apparent reason for oppposing it is pure unadulterated greed! I live on a "private beach". We fully support use of that beach by all provided they are respectful and leave it as they found it. Too bad we have some nyophyt owners who do not really appreciate what they have that others might also share. As far as tarnishing the TDC's and Walton's reputation is concerned, the "private beachfront owners" are doing a far better job of that than Jim Bagby ever could.

Last edited:

JoeWormwood

Beach Lover
Oct 9, 2008
He asked for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
Can someone paste the story?

I get
There was a problem loading the requested article.....

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
By TOM McLAUGHLIN | Daily News
Published: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 01:36 PM.
Walton County Tourist Development Council Director Jim Bagby could face a reprimand for saying he’d like to shoot a fellow county employee in the face.

An internal investigation stemming from a complaint by an unhappy TDC employee cleared Bagby of several charges that he’d created a hostile workplace.

But investigator Gary Wheeler found “concerning” a statement Bagby allegedly made “that he would shoot Gerry Demers in the face if he was there.”

DOCUMENT: Bagby investigative report.

“While this comment appears to have been an isolated or stray comment made approximately a year and a half ago, it was plainly inappropriate” and violated the county’s personnel policy, Wheeler said in his report.

Bagby denied making the statement, but three TDC staffers, including the woman who launched the original complaint, clearly recalled it, Wheeler said in the report.

“I don’t remember making the remark but three people said I made the remark,” Bagby said Tuesday. “Obviously it wasn’t a credible threat since it was made a year and a half ago.”

He said he couldn’t even recall the context in which the statement would have been made. The report indicates only that the comment was made “in a meeting” Oct 24, 2013.

Bagby was appointed as Walton County’s TDC director in May of 2013. Demers served as the county’s interim administrator from April of that year until Larry Jones took over our months later in August.

Bagby said he has been attempting to call and email Demers to offer apologies since being notified of Wheeler’s findings.

“I don’t remember why I said such a thing and I apologize if it hurt him,” Bagby said. “I will apologize personally.”

Wheeler recommends in his report that Bagby be admonished for his comment and required to take sensitivity training.

Bagby said he has not been formally notified of any action to be taken against him.

Walton County Commission Chairman Bill Imfeld said he didn’t understand why the investigation’s findings would be newsworthy. He said he wasn’t sure whether a reprimand for the statement would be forthcoming or not.

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
The Walton Commission Chairman officially called for an Admonishment of the TDC Director over comments made on the job. Commissioner Bill Imfeld said he was going to Admonish TDC Director Jim Bagby based on the recommendation of the independent attorney review of an allegation charge by an employee.

Imfeld said the recommendation is to Admonish Bagby for comments made and for Bagby to take training for proper conduct in the workplace. Imfeld’s recommendation is based on a report from a legal firm hired to review the charge brought by Michele Ray, who also listed witnesses.

the Memorandum by Constangy, Brooks, Smith and Prophete, LLP lists people interviewed. The report details Ray’s job and pay changes, comments she says Bagby made about “getting rid of her” and says Bagby has unfairly scrutinized the work of two male employees. She also detailed other decisions she disagreed with and conduct she considers inappropriate, a comment about church and a comment that possibly had a sexual connotation. Some of these were verified by witnesses. There was also a comment she says Bagby made in a meeting about shooting county employee Gary Demers in the face .

Bagby denied making some of the comments, including the remark about shooting Demers and the questioned sexual statement. Not all the witnesses said they heard all the remarks. Bagby also denied he had an agenda to get rid of Ray.

The findings by the firm say Ms. Ray was not subjected to a hostile work environment based on her gender. It also states that the majority of Ms. Ray’s complaints call into the wisdom and fairness of Bagby and the level of scrutiny he subjected to her, but concludes there is not a factual basis to suggest Bagby discriminated against her. The investigation says the wisdom and fairness of Bagby’s decisions are beyond the scope of the investigation. The report also states the comment reportedly made about shooting Demers is concerning and likely did happen based on the amount of witnesses. It notes the statement reportedly happened a year and a half earlier and is against policy. This is the why there was a recommendation of Admonishment.

Commissioner Cecilia Jones said the allegations are very serious and should not be taken lightly. She said there are other complaints she has heard of. She said Bagby is one of the highest paid employees and he should know what is appropriate. Jones said she had an hour and a half talk with Bagby about the charge and other issues. She said employees have left crying.

Imfeld said he has given the direction and admonished Bagby. Jones said she knows the two are friends. Imfeld said he has, “No problem chewing his butt off.” Commissioner Cindy Meadows said she has heard inappropriate comments and the issue took place over a year ago. She recommends that next time something happens they come forth quicker. Meadows said there are a lot of other issues and they need to move forward.

Art Miller, with the TDC Board, thanked Imfeld for his decision. Miller said the way this was handled has been an effort in character assignation. He said making this part of the public forum is unconscionable. Don Riley echoed what Commissioner Meadows said. He also noted that most everyone in the room have said something inappropriate or tried to say something funny, but it fell flat. He said this is not improving things for Walton County. Riley said Bagby might be guilty of a bad joke, but firing him would not make the county better. Bill Fletcher said, if the employees felt the comment was that bad, then why did it take almost two years to bring it up. Commissioner Jones said the employees were scared.

Meadows said an employee was retained after she had discretions, she left the TDC, but came back and Bagby hired her back. She said this does not indicate a hostile workplace.

Bagby is admonished and has to take proper workplace training. He was not at the meeting due to being out of town on job related business.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
This makes very little sense. If it is a frequent occurrence, why was the main focus a comment made a year and a half ago? And if they didn't report it at the time because they were scared, what has changed in 18 months that makes them suddenly not scared?

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
This "incident" does not meet the smell test. Sounds more like a political vendetta against the director than a hostile workplace against employees. There is no way to quantify these mysterious " I heard" statements and "people are saying" accusations. If you do not like his performance then say so, give your reasons and leave this sort of stuff alone. A Biblical passage certainly applies: "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."