• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Garner

Beach Fanatic
Hi Jill,
Alice Waters has done a lot in the Berkeley area in this regard. Here is a link to the Edible Schoolyard. There was also a great article in the Sunday New York Times Magazine, probably in September 2005 about her mission. I dined recently at The Kitchen in Denver. They have a mission of supporting community and school gardens which is one reason I chose to dine there as opposed to many of the other great spots in Denver.
I used to be pretty active in the local school system until I made everybody mad. Having a school garden at Emerald Coast Middle School was always a goal of mine.
Just some ideas and places to look for resources, etc.

Jackalope

Beach Lover
Jan 24, 2015
jackalope, I believe you are referring to Food For Thought. I hope no one flamed them.

http://sowal.com/group/food-for-thought-outreach

Yep that's the one I was thinking about. I think someone was drilling them about whether or not they were a nonprofit or something along those lines. The interrogator was pissing me off but I kept my comments to myself. My wife had talked to the lady that runs it, I believe. From my undersanding, it is so bad for some kids, that they had to hide their backpacks because other family members would take the food. I think that's why they request easy open and ready to eat products. That truly is some food for thought.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
I have proposed a new rule to allow school districts to install deep fat fryers and sell beverages like diet soda. I believe each school district - not the state or federal government - should decide what foods are offered to students. It's about giving back local control and allowing each school district to make the best decision for their community.
Sid Miller-Texas Agriculture Commissioner

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
Sid Miller-Texas Agriculture Commissioner

Poppy it is all about balance, deep fried oreos and a diet coke...everyone knows that. In Texas the Hispanics are raising hell because their obesity rate has gone crazy through the roof because of school food. Fat and carbs are cheap, ask any prisoner.