• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jackalope

Beach Lover
Jan 24, 2015
Hip roof, 2x6 or cmu exterior walls (ICF may be worth looking in to), spray insulation (do your homework), hurricane glass, standing seam metal roof (proper installation is the key), make sure not to have trees to close to your house (especially sand pines), screened in outdoor living space so you don't get tore up by yellow flies, ceilings higher than 8', don't skimp on things inside the walls (may elaborate later) and durable siding are a few things to consider. To be continued..... maybe.

TinaAufdenkamp

Beach Crab
Apr 11, 2015
I am new to the area...recently moved from Ohio. We bought our lot in SRB. Four days before our departure in October he (58 yrs old) had a debilitating stroke. Our house was sold so I lived in our RV in my sisters driveway thru the winter. I just got down here a couple months ago to get arrangements made for him and am living in the RV with electric only...awaiting the water and sewer hookups. He came last month and is in a rehab facility. We were going to built our house as we had the money as there are no build out times in our subdivision. Because of all this our savings is gone, 401K gone...had just enough thankfully to pay the impact fees for the water and sewer. Being that our RV is a fifth wheel he can not reside in it nor is he able to be cared for by me alone as yet and now I must try to build a handicapped accessible small house. I am putting this on here in case anyone comes across building materials that are leftovers from new construction homes or materials no longer wanted from remodels. My son-in-law has graciously offered to do the build since he is a contractor. Another son-in-law, my daughter and I have been working to clear the property. I don't want to take anything that may have otherwise been donated to the ReStore. So things that may be given to me I also plan to donate to the ReStore items I no longer will need since we will be downsizing. I have a storage unit full from selling our house. That way the giving goes full circle. It has been suggested to me to do a GoFundMe account but I do not feel comfortable accepting money nor feel deserving as there are others in much greater need. I will do this from leftovers, recycled and repurposed items. Thank you for reading this. Many blessings to you!

Jackalope

Beach Lover
Jan 24, 2015
I don't know if I should go on but, in continuation, wire for cat5 or even cat6. Does anyone use #14 wire anymore? I hope not, but that's just me. Buy the highest SEER a/c you can stand. The Mitsubishi mini splits are worth taking a look at. Celing fans everywhere, no white fixtures outside (maintenance nightmare). BTW, from what I'm told, light kits for said fans are "out". FYI, all water heater tanks are made by the same company but go tankless, gas, instant heat if you can. I personaly don't like PEX for water supply lines but a lot of people don't have an issue with it. Delta single handle fixtures are the easiest to repair and the parts are readily available. Braided stainless steel supply lines on everything.Granite looks nice but don't prepare raw food on it, its very pourus. Stainless appliances take more effort to keep them looking nice and dent easier but Ive heard they are a must have. Say no to soft pine floors. The first pair of high heals that walks across it will explain why. Carpet and sand dont go well together.As you grow older, an elevated house isn't as appealing. Account for more storage than you think you'll need. Tin Christmas trees may come back in style. TMI? This is the stuff that makes life easier. Native vegatation for landscaping. Not because I'm green, I'm practical and I have better ways to spend my time than trying to make things thrive out of their element. 3 BR 2 Bath minimum if you want to make it more resellable. Are you finding my input useful or is it verbal vomit?I've been working in related industries since before I could legally drive so I have all this crap stored in my DNA. Sorry if I'm rambling. Hopefully, you'll find a decent builder. I, in general, would recommend a small one with a good rep over a high production "semi custom" one. The later of, which we have an abundance of. My post has gone on too long and is meandering...... With that, good luck!

BlaineAtk

Beach Comber
Mar 31, 2012
Jackalope,

Very very informative and helpful! I appreciate the info and the time you took to write that up.

I'm thinking concrete counter tops, I just like the idea.

As far as gardening, I'll let nature take care of that.

Metal roof is a must.