• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

HappySkipper

Beach Comber
Mar 24, 2015
Tallahassee
Hey y'al! Looking to buy a house in either Santa Rosa Beach or Freeport. Can anyone tell me their thoughts on the Freeport area, specifically Hammock Bay? I'm wondering if I get a job in SRB, Miramar, or Destin what the commute would be like driving from Freeport.

Thanks!

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I drive it every third day and it takes me 20-30 minutes to get to 393. Depending on time of day determines travel time. With construction it can sometimes get a little longer. If you don't mind paying the toll it will take about 25 minutes to Destin from Hammock Bay. I like living in the area and I live off of Bay Loop. There are so many other areas besides Hammock Bay although it is nice

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Commute isn't horrible, but there still isn't much there there in some ways. A former coworker bought in Hammock Bay and despite the nice amenity center, their family found they were spending almost all their free time south of the bay and eventually sold (at a loss at the time) in favor of a place on 30-A where they were closer to the stuff they really enjoyed.

hottytoddy

Beach Lover
May 26, 2009
I have lived in Windswept Estates since 2010. I work from home, but choose to send my daughter to Emerald Coast Middle School so I drive through construction/over the bridge four times a day (two there, two back). It's really not that bad. I live on over an acre on a golf course lot. That's hard to come by in other areas. Homes are starting to sell in here again. I've even noticed lots selling and some new construction taking place.

If you have children, there are a lot of families here with toddlers through teenagers. We have a community pool, nothing like Hammock Bay, but it's typically quiet. Everyone for the most part is very friendly.

We will hopefully be getting our Publix soon as they have already had the groundbreaking ceremony. Until then you'll have to drive to SoWal to buy groceries, unless you choose to go to The Food Depot.

All in all, I think Freeport is a great community. I truly believe it is going to grow once the bridge and 331 are completed. I don't see myself ever leaving.

hottytoddy

Beach Lover
May 26, 2009
All in all, Freeport is a great community. I truly feel like it will grow once the bridge and 331 are complete. I am looking forward to seeing what businesses comes here in the future. I don't see myself leaving anytime soon. You'd be welcome anywhere you decide to live!

Jackalope

Beach Lover
Jan 24, 2015
I have a lot in Windswept. It's a nice neighborhood, reasonable HOA dues and decent amenities. I like to go up there and chill by the pool when I need a break. I'm looking forward to the completion of Publix and 331. I'd like to build up there some day.

cwalen

Beach Comber
Apr 5, 2016
Baltimore
I have lived in Windswept Estates since 2010. I work from home, but choose to send my daughter to Emerald Coast Middle School so I drive through construction/over the bridge four times a day (two there, two back). It's really not that bad. I live on over an acre on a golf course lot. That's hard to come by in other areas. Homes are starting to sell in here again. I've even noticed lots selling and some new construction taking place.

If you have children, there are a lot of families here with toddlers through teenagers. We have a community pool, nothing like Hammock Bay, but it's typically quiet. Everyone for the most part is very friendly.

We will hopefully be getting our Publix soon as they have already had the groundbreaking ceremony. Until then you'll have to drive to SoWal to buy groceries, unless you choose to go to The Food Depot.

All in all, I think Freeport is a great community. I truly believe it is going to grow once the bridge and 331 are completed. I don't see myself ever leaving.
What is your development?