• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
It will be interesting to see if the vendors comply, and if they don't comply, how the rule will be enforced. We were in Seagrove for the past 8 days. Our beach "hangout" is west of One Seagrove. In the 14 years that we have owned our little piece of the paradise pie, we have NEVER seen as many vendor beach chairs spread out in a huge area as we have this past week ...definitely more than their allowance! Is this just their way of throwing a hissy fit? They used to set up only in front of One Seagrove, and usually only 2 deep. This past week they were 3 deep (in some places more than that) in front of One Seagrove, and for the first time to my knowledge they were also set up west of One Seagrove all the way to the "Private Beach" sign to the west of the public access. They even set up several chairs almost at the water line. The poor visitors were left with a small space to crowd in and set up their umbrellas. I guess when our family comes down to visit this summer we will have to race down there before the vendors can set up in order to secure space. If the vendors refuse to comply, who can we call? It's not even busy season yet....I hate to think what it will be like in the next few months!

This is how it is in Destin. Just about every 'resort' is overcrowded by the beach chair vendors. They are out there before the sun rises to get their chairs as close to the water's edge as possible. People that have their own set-ups are screwed. I call them 'chair nazi's'. There may be a few that don't set up until the chair is rented, but it's not the norm. I'm ready to move away from the beach and go live on a nice lake.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Everyone concerned about signage on the beach should call each County Commissioner and lodge a complaint. The BCC controls signage in the scenic corridor and says what can and cannot be displayed. There is no reason that signage on our beaches cannot be stopped. It is an ugly distraction to the ambiance and beauty of our pristine beaches. When I first moved here in 1991, there wasn't a sign to be found on any of our beaches. Fences and signs should be outlawed. If they want to stop people from leisurly sitting on THEIR beach, let them go down and tell them so in person.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
It will be interesting to see if the vendors comply, and if they don't comply, how the rule will be enforced. We were in Seagrove for the past 8 days. Our beach "hangout" is west of One Seagrove. In the 14 years that we have owned our little piece of the paradise pie, we have NEVER seen as many vendor beach chairs spread out in a huge area as we have this past week ...definitely more than their allowance! Is this just their way of throwing a hissy fit? They used to set up only in front of One Seagrove, and usually only 2 deep. This past week they were 3 deep (in some places more than that) in front of One Seagrove, and for the first time to my knowledge they were also set up west of One Seagrove all the way to the "Private Beach" sign to the west of the public access. They even set up several chairs almost at the water line. The poor visitors were left with a small space to crowd in and set up their umbrellas. I guess when our family comes down to visit this summer we will have to race down there before the vendors can set up in order to secure space. If the vendors refuse to comply, who can we call? It's not even busy season yet....I hate to think what it will be like in the next few months!

Sowal beaches on May 21st!

sowal.jpg

ktape

Beach Comber
Sep 25, 2007
The beach vendors know the rules, if they break them and you report them they will be cited. If this doesn't work be assured that the next push will be to completely outlaw vending on the public beaches. Some vendors do not understand what public means. If the step to limit vendors to 1/2 the beach at regional accesses doesn't work, it will be the vendors who ultimately suffer. They have created the pushback and non compliance will result in more restrictions. If they do it right vendors can provide a useful service, if not they become a public nuisance. Some have chosen the latter course, they will not last.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The beach vendors know the rules, if they break them and you report them they will be cited. If this doesn't work be assured that the next push will be to completely outlaw vending on the public beaches. Some vendors do not understand what public means. If the step to limit vendors to 1/2 the beach at regional accesses doesn't work, it will be the vendors who ultimately suffer. They have created the pushback and non compliance will result in more restrictions. If they do it right vendors can provide a useful service, if not they become a public nuisance. Some have chosen the latter course, they will not last.
When we were in Bradenton at the middle school state track meet 2 weeks ago, we went over to Anna Maria Island for a little reconnaissance mission, looking at traffic, beaches, and infrastructure as compared to ours. The most striking thing we noticed- there was almost no beach vending. Beach goers had their own chairs and umbrellas. No beach chair venders at the public neighborhood beach accesses. Very limited at the several municipal owned accesses, and it was limited to one vendor, who did not set up chairs until about 10 am, and then only about half dozen about midway back- not hogging the front row. It reminded me of how it used to be here when people actually carried their own chairs to the beach. It is one thing to be at staying a condo or resort- one of the reasons people stay in such places you are for these amenities. But when staying in our sleepy beach neighborhoods, why would people expect resort amenities like beach chair set ups at the public accesses?

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
When we were in Bradenton at the middle school state track meet 2 weeks ago, we went over to Anna Maria Island for a little reconnaissance mission, looking at traffic, beaches, and infrastructure as compared to ours. The most striking thing we noticed- there was almost no beach vending. Beach goers had their own chairs and umbrellas. No beach chair venders at the public neighborhood beach accesses. Very limited at the several municipal owned accesses, and it was limited to one vendor, who did not set up chairs until about 10 am, and then only about half dozen about midway back- not hogging the front row. It reminded me of how it used to be here when people actually carried their own chairs to the beach. It is one thing to be at staying a condo or resort- one of the reasons people stay in such places you are for these amenities. But when staying in our sleepy beach neighborhoods, why would people expect resort amenities like beach chair set ups at the public accesses?
hopefully this summer will be the beginning to the end for Public Beach Vendors....because, they aren't likely to follow the new 50/50 beach laws....hope enforcement has the nerve to enforce #wewillsee

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
From Walton County TDC:
COMMUNITY BRIEF
This Week: Beach Activities Ordinance Changes Take Effect
This week on May 22, 2015 several changes go into effect for the beach activities ordinance. The following changes in the beach activities ordinance, adopted by the Walton County Board of County Commissioners, will take effect:​
  • 2013-04-22-60(b)(1): Verbiage changed to distinguish the rights of “specific place” permitted vendors at a “specific beach” or “specific location” from those of a delivery vendor.
  • 2013-04-22-60(d)(1): The word “concession” replaced with “vending operation.”
  • 2013-04-22-60(d)(3): Verbiage inserted that prohibits vending set-ups in front of a lifeguard tower. The ordinance will now read that vendor chairs and umbrellas “must allow for a 10’ clear corridor from lifeguard towers to the water.”
  • 2013-04-22-60(d)(4): Verbiage changed to allow vendors beach access between “7:30 a.m., or after the morning sea turtle nesting survey has been completed, or whichever is earlier, and one hour after sunset. “
  • 2013-04-22-60(d)(6): Verbiage inserted to define that only “specific place permitted vendors” have the right to store a temporary beach storage box at the toe of the dune, provided it adheres to all of the guidelines listed in ordinance 2013-04-22-60(d)(6).
  • 2013-04-22-60(d)(9): Verbiage changed to allow properly permitted vendor vehicles access to the beach starting at “7:30 a.m. or after the morning sea turtle nesting survey has been completed.”
  • 2013-04-22-60(d)(10): New Ordinance Created: “Beach vendor’s operations are limited to no more than 50% of the beach frontage at any public beach access. The frontage shall be designated by the Walton County Tourist Development Council prior to March 1st of each year.”
  • 2013-04-22-60(e)(4): The words “lifesaving training” replaced with “a CPR certification or water safety certification recognized by the American Red Cross.”
  • 2013-04-22-60(h)(2)(a): Sentence added which reads: “Walton County Board of County Commissioners shall be listed as certificate holder and additionally insured on the insurance policy.”
The revised ordinance in its entirety can be found on Walton County Florida’s website: http://www.co.walton.fl.us/documentcenter/view/7847
For more information or questions about the changes in the beach activities ordinance contact Brian Kellenberger at Brian@visitsouthwalton.com, (850) 267-4578 or (850) 333-6236.​

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
11200579_10206994610289529_7386371341695608833_n.jpg

"Rent Gear Here" has set-up shop next to the outflow of Eastern Lake and posted signs reading "beach reserved for RGH customers only." Apparently, this is on private property in front of a home where permission has been given to use it. Not sure about permits or how this is covered in the new ordinance...

Here is a response from RGH owner Jacob W... (on Walton County Visioning group fb page):
Hey again guys, just wanted to answer some of the questions directed to us. This in no way shape or form has anything to do with YOLO, 360 Blue or any other company. This is an agreement between the property owner and Rent Gear Here. We will serve anyone who would like to rent any of our gear. We are not serving any one party, we are open to the general public. We will make sure we abide by all easement regulations. As I mentioned before we are doing our best to operate our business following all obeisances in place. We will abide by whatever rules the county puts into place. Please feel free to reach out to me anytime. We are not trying to harm anyone.

1545564_10206994676771191_3830535183841382664_n.jpg

MORE beach vendor chairs left overnight in this area by: Southwinds, and others.

11693936_10206994610449533_5294410045009037258_n.jpg

photos by friend Lynn of Seagrove Beach.

I'm seeing photos every day posted on FB by locals showing more chairs than ever left on beaches overnight, and basically taking over. What's the deal?

seanote

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2007
"Rent Gear Here" has set-up shop next to the outflow of Eastern Lake and posted signs reading "beach reserved for RGH customers only." Apparently, this is on private property in front of a home where permission has been given to use it. Not sure about permits or how this is covered in the new ordinance... Here is a response from RGH owner Jacob W... (on Walton County Visioning group fb page): Hey again guys, just wanted to answer some of the questions directed to us. This in no way shape or form has anything to do with YOLO, 360 Blue or any other company. This is an agreement between the property owner and Rent Gear Here. We will serve anyone who would like to rent any of our gear. We are not serving any one party, we are open to the general public. We will make sure we abide by all easement regulations. As I mentioned before we are doing our best to operate our business following all obeisances in place. We will abide by whatever rules the county puts into place. Please feel free to reach out to me anytime. We are not trying to harm anyone. MORE beach vendor chairs left overnight in this area by: Southwinds, and others. photos by friend Lynn of Seagrove Beach. I'm seeing photos every day posted on FB by locals showing more chairs than ever left on beaches overnight, and basically taking over. What's the deal?

I've noticed that too. It's an eyesore. Ruins the beautiful view from the beach access. These items should really be moved as close to the dune line as possible or removed completely at night.