• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bluesman

Beach Comber
May 22, 2015
Hello All!

I am heading to Seaside/Watercolor for the week, and I hoping to get in lots of road miles as I am training for a HIM Triathlon. I am looking for some 30-50 mile routes.

I was thinking that 30A early morning would be a good route, just out and back (either direction) 15-25 miles towards Destin or Panama City. But I landed here because Google directed me to a posting here from 2013, with many being unhappy with cyclists on 30A. Also tried Map My Ride but did not find anything on there.

Any cyclists/triathletes among the board here? Any recommendations for good routes, roads/places to avoid, etc.?

Thanks in advance for the advice. Looking forward to a week of sun, running, biking, and swimming!

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
It is roughly 18 miles from one end of 30a to the other before you get to 98 so almost anywhere on 30a would fit your requirements (15-20 miles round trip). You are right that cyclists on 30a are not appreciated and that is because 30a is a narrow, 2 lane county road with a lot of tourist/workmen/delivery traffic, morning, noon or night. Getting around a cyclist with the required 3 foot buffer requires going into the other lane when oncoming traffic breaks. This can take some time as there is always oncoming during most of the year anymore. Road rage will one day hit. My suggestion would be to bike on 98 as there is a bike lane designated and plenty of room for cars to pass.

Bluesman

Beach Comber
May 22, 2015
It is roughly 18 miles from one end of 30a to the other before you get to 98 so almost anywhere on 30a would fit your requirements (15-20 miles round trip). You are right that cyclists on 30a are not appreciated and that is because 30a is a narrow, 2 lane county road with a lot of tourist/workmen/delivery traffic, morning, noon or night. Getting around a cyclist with the required 3 foot buffer requires going into the other lane when oncoming traffic breaks. This can take some time as there is always oncoming during most of the year anymore. Road rage will one day hit. My suggestion would be to bike on 98 as there is a bike lane designated and plenty of room for cars to pass.

Wow, that is disappointing to hear ... 98 is pretty much the opposite of what I am looking for ... Unless I have my roads mixed up (I have been down to Seaside maybe 2-3 times but never brought my road bike) ... 98 is basically a limited access highway with traffic traveling 55-65 mph range ... I have seen bikes on that shoulder and feared for their safety. Certainly not the fun/scenic ride I am looking for ...

Here where I live (SW Ohio), there are a number of great bike routes on country road and up in the Cape where we also vacation, they have a great rails-to-trails, although need to get out early to avoid the crowds. Are there really no comparable routes in the South Walton area?

Bluesman

Beach Comber
May 22, 2015
Thanks NotDeadYet ... a couple of quick follow-ups ...

1. Is Gayle's Trail paved? Looked on Google and seems like maybe it is mt. bike trails.

2. While I was looking, I saw that 79 looks like it has a dedicated bike path, maybe five miles long. It would be 20 miles there on 30A and I could pick up 10 miles on an out and back on 79 perhaps.

3. Is traffic bad on 30A even EARLY morning, like 6:00 a.m.? I know it gets congested in Seaside/Watercolor and probably other spots, but I have never really observed or experienced any cyclist/vehicle problem ...

4. Seaside is usually loaded with cyclists, mostly cruisers of course, but I assume it had probably had a good cycling community built up as well. Are there any Seaside or 30A cycling groups that go out for regular organized rides?

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
1. Paved, it's right there on the link.
2. Well, not exactly. Check a map and locate Rosemary Beach. You run out of 30A there and get dumped out onto 98. Maps may be confusing because 98 is actually State Road 30. (The "A" is for alternate.) You can pick up the beach road again after a few miles but it's slow too and the bike path on 79 only starts a ways north. I believe the dedicated bike path on 79 is one of the loops you can connect to from the Gayle's trailhead. I wouldn't recommend biking to 79 even early because you would have to return either on 98 or on a very crowded 30A.
3. Not too bad at 6, but by 7, yes. One hour won't get you enough miles, will it?
4. Hook up with Big Daddy's. They are good people and the shop for the pros. The others are bikes for the tourists, beach cruisers. They will be slammed this week - maybe call them now. They have a web site.

Bluesman

Beach Comber
May 22, 2015
Gayle.jpg

Thanks for the advice, NDY.

I did check out the link ... If you drop in street view from Google Map, the portion of the trail they show (east of 79) looks unpaved, but just checked again and west is paved.

I will definitely check out Robins and Big Daddy's.

Thanks again!

pennstater

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
NJ/Inlet Beach
30A at 6:00 AM is ok. You'll see cyclists in the roadway all day long. The heat can be brutal after 10 AM in the summer. I routinely go out at 6:00 AM and am comfortable in the roadway. Many sections are now posted 25 MPH. It is not narrow, has a good line of sight and even has a shoulder in some sections. I combine trail sections in low density areas with on road through denser Santa Rosa Beach, Seaside, Watercolor, Seagrove, Alys Beach and Rosemary Beach. It is not as pleasant as I would like, but not as bad as some have posted. Most drivers are courteous. But I've had more drivers harass me here than in Manhattan.

The trail along 30A can be more hazardous than the roadway as motorists are prone to blow through the path from driveways and side streets stopping or slowing only at the roadway.

I stay off 98 where the speed limits are as high as 65 MPH. But you can add miles by using trail spurs on many connectors between 30A and 98 like on 283 and 395.

I like the ride along Front Beach Road in Panama City Beach as long as it is not Spring Break. Not much cross traffic west of 79. It's a newly paved roadway with shoulders designated as bike lanes. This requires a short ride on 98 but in a 45 MPH zone. It can be reached from the extreme East End of 30A. Good line of sight and few traffic lights. It's also possible to easily connect to the path along 79 and Gayle's trail which is totally paved but relatively short. The east end of Front Beach Road is more crowded but I have had no issues cycling to the old airport or for that matter the new airport.

I've also ridden North of the 331 bridge on side roads. I did not like cycling over the bridge. But you could drive there and just meander around the backroads.

No climbs here, but the wind can be as tough as a long climb.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Check with Big Daddy's Bike Shop in Blue Mountain Beach. They are presently riding all the forest bike paths and would have information you can use. My daughter and her husband just completed a 25 mile ride on Wednesday. Also she works there. I have been informed they also have maps available as well.

Last edited: