• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
A message from the members of For a Better South Walton...

New community group and upcoming meetings regarding potential incorporation of South Walton County.

Recent events such as the
Hampton Inn proposal have brought to to light many shortcomings of our current system of governance. As a new wave of development sweeps across South Walton the question ariseswhat can we do to gain more control over the direction of our community?

For a Better South Walton is a group of community-minded individuals that are coming together to find the answer to that question. Over the next month we will hold 3 community meetings in different areas of South Walton to begin the discussion. The conversation will include having a Community Vision, Growth Management, the role of Voting & whether Incorporation is right for us.

May 1 | Rosemary Beach Town Hall 6pm
The first meeting will be held on the east end of South Walton @ the Rosemary Beach Town Hall, on Monday night, May 11th at 6 p.m. The meeting is free & open to the public. All are welcome to attend. Your participation is critical in exploring our options.

May 21 | Seascape Resort Conference Room 6pm
The second meeting will be held on the west end of South Walton in the Seascape Resort Conference Room on Thursday, May 21st @ 6 p.m. This is the same facility where the first Hampton Inn meeting was held. The Seascape Resort & Conference Center is located off US 98 at 100 Seascape Drive in Miramar Beach. The Conference Center is a separate building in the resort. The guard will direct you to the correct building.

May 31 | Bayou Arts Center 4pm

The third meeting will be held in the center of South Walton in the Bayou Arts Center on Sunday, May 31st @ 4 p.m. The Bayou Arts Center is located off Hwy 393 1.7 miles north of US 98, on 105 Hogtown Bayou Ln, Santa Rosa Beach. It is on the West side of 393 just before the Cessna Landing Park.

We look forward to your thoughts & ideas for a Better South Walton.

For a Better South Walton meetings.jpg

Visit the new website, read the blog and sign up for news at
http://forabettersouthwalton.com

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
More info from a recent press release from For a Better South Walton...

Recent events including the development of a new 50,000 square foot Hampton Inn in Seagrove Beach have prompted property owners in the south Walton area to organize a new community organization, Citizens for a Better South Walton. Its purpose is to consider options to better control the amount and type of development taking place in our community. Citizens for a Better South Walton (CBSW) announced today that incorporation into a municipality is among the initiatives they are exploring.

“We feel the best way to control our own destiny is to consider all alternatives which may include incorporation.” said Kelley Mossburg, one of the founding members. “Many of us feel that development is out of control and is changing the nature of what makes south Walton unique and special. The people I talk to are not against development per se, but instead want more responsible, smart development that compliments the assets in our community like our beaches, parks and coastal dune lakes instead of putting them at risk. We want a better overall approach to development in our area that protects what makes us unique while allowing for thoughtful, responsible growth in the future. We don’t want to see our community go the way of so many other places where property values and rental rates fall as the character and natural assets of the area are compromised.”

Citizens for a Better South Walton is tapping into the institutional knowledge of similar communities such as Estero in Lee County, areas that have experienced similar growth issues processed at a rapid pace with little perceived public input. “We want to move thoughtfully through the process of considering all the alternatives and explore whatever solutions the citizens of the area feel best meet our needs,” said Mossburg.

Citizens for a Better South Walton has established a website, www.forabettersouthwalton.com. More information about the effort can be found there. The group intends to conduct informational meetings with the public in the immediate future to promote dialogue within the community, examine the best alternatives to the current system of governance and provide information on the progress of CBSW. All public meetings will be noticed in the press and listed on the website. The public is welcome and indeed encouraged to attend. “Anyone who is interested in learning more or wants to help out with the effort should definitely plan to attend the meetings or reach out to us directly,” said Mossburg.

Citizens for a Better South Walton can be contacted at info@forabettersouthwalton.com for more information.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The first meeting is tonight! You will learn a lot- there will be speakers covering the different things about incorporation, terminology associated with the process, and how we as citizens are important in trying to find the best path to gain control over the direction of our community. 6 pm, and it's free. Bring an open mind- every incorporation is different and is tailored to met the needs of each specific community.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Two community meetings coming up this week sponsored by Citizens For A Better South Walton...

May 20 | Bud and Alleys 6pm
A gathering is planned in the herb garden at Bud and Alley's in Seaside this Wednesday, May 20 at 6pm. Please rsvp: info@forabettersouthwalton.com. This is to help support the new For a Better South Walton group and find out more about the mission.
11248952_10153013185614480_3142916616884393116_o.jpg

May 21 | Seascape Resort Conference Room 6pm
A meeting will be held on the west end of South Walton in the Seascape Resort Conference Room on Thursday, May 21st @ 6 p.m.

11122061_10207121100930145_3045901756159277193_o.jpg

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
While I understand the desire to have more say in what happens in South Walton, I am not at all sure incorporation is the ultimate answer to the assumed problems. The topography, infrastructure and resident population are all things, among others not mentioned, to be considered in such an undertaking. If Seaside, Rosemary Beach, and other such established enities wish to take on more taxation and necessary obligations such as waste management, law enforcement and other public requirements, that is fine. As for areas such as BMB, as far as I am concerned, leave me out of it. While not perfect, I am fairly pleased with our situation now. Looking at such incoporated enities such as Freeport and DeFuniak Springs I do not see a really great improvement over our present condition.

JoeWormwood

Beach Lover
Oct 9, 2008
Only time you see me in an herb garden is when I'm in Washington state or Colorado.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Andy, all of these things will be discussed in upcoming meetings. Incorporation means different things in each city. For anyone with interest I would suggest attending a meeting to find out more. The future of South Walton is up to you.

I'm proud of those who are working to initiate the discussion, regardless of its outcome. We have so many very talented citizens who will help shape our future.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
While I understand the desire to have more say in what happens in South Walton, I am not at all sure incorporation is the ultimate answer to the assumed problems. The topography, infrastructure and resident population are all things, among others not mentioned, to be considered in such an undertaking. If Seaside, Rosemary Beach, and other such established enities wish to take on more taxation and necessary obligations such as waste management, law enforcement and other public requirements, that is fine. As for areas such as BMB, as far as I am concerned, leave me out of it. While not perfect, I am fairly pleased with our situation now. Looking at such incoporated enities such as Freeport and DeFuniak Springs I do not see a really great improvement over our present condition.

Andy, why would you assume these things would happen? I would suggest that you come to a meeting. I learned a lot of things I didn't know.

Also, we already have garbage pickup, law enforcement, mosquito control, fire department. From what I see, the reasons for incorporation are more about being in control if our land use, zoning, etc.

spaglioni

Beach Lover
Dec 31, 2012
Good morning, I just signed up for the newsletter. Part-timer at the moment in the area so I'm not available to get to the meetings. I'm slightly confused on the topic and would appreciate clarification. Would incorporation result in one city of South Walton? I know in Atlanta a few years back the citizens of Sandy Springs incorporated into a new city of John's Creek. I read the article from the first meeting and I get why this movement is growing.

Last edited by a moderator: