• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mountainbiker

Beach Comber
May 5, 2006
I know the lake connects itself from time to time as Mother Nature does its thing but just about every year we're here some folks take it upon themselves to dig out a channel to connect the lake to the ocean. It makes for some dramatic whitewater for about five minutes but it ruined the natural swimming hole for all the small kids and really uglies up the beach for everyone else.

Is it legal to do this? I would think not as the county works hard to make sure people interfere with nature as little as possible here.

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
The county does not work hard to prevent people from doing things that damage our environment. There are some laws on the book (mostly state) but enforcement is lacking, especially against tourists and Sundays and holidays.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Not only is it not legal, but anyone seeing them do it should immediately call the sheriff's offfice. One number easy to remember is 267-2000,

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Definitely not legal and violators should be reported. That said- while illegal- is this really bad for the environment or are we saying it is simply because it is illegal?

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Definitely not legal and violators should be reported. That said- while illegal- is this really bad for the environment or are we saying it is simply because it is illegal?
why let all those alligators from the lake out in to the beautiful ruff gulf?

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
The alligators keep the sharks away.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
I once saw an alligator surfing in the gulf and posted pics here - years back.

Back to the topic- I don't condone this illegal behavior. Just pointing out that it isn't necessarily bad for the environment. When the rain raises the levels it naturally breaks through a few times a year.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Our dune lakes are a very precious thing.. when the time is right the lakes will break through.. It is illegal to force it and should be reported to the proper authorities. I realize some of our visitors dont realize this and maybe we should be the ones to educate them before we have them arrested.