• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Every time you breach a dune lake, an angel loses its wings.

sunny850

Beach Lover
Jul 16, 2012
As a child, we used to spend hours, sometimes weekends, digging out Eastern Lake to the Gulf just so we could play in the strong rush of water as the water poured out of the lake into the Gulf. That was in the late 60's & early 70's. Didn't hurt the lake one bit. Also used to roll in innertubes down the huge dunes that sat right where that yellow house sits now- the one who doesn't want anyone walking over "their" beach. Even built bonfires right in the low parts of those rolling dunes...without a permit- gasp! Kids with shovels and inner tubes do far less damage than homes built all over the dunes. Wish my kids and grandkids could do the same without fear of being arrested.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
As a child, we used to spend hours, sometimes weekends, digging out Eastern Lake to the Gulf just so we could play in the strong rush of water as the water poured out of the lake into the Gulf. That was in the late 60's & early 70's. Didn't hurt the lake one bit. Also used to roll in innertubes down the huge dunes that sat right where that yellow house sits now- the one who doesn't want anyone walking over "their" beach. Even built bonfires right in the low parts of those rolling dunes...without a permit- gasp! Kids with shovels and inner tubes do far less damage than homes built all over the dunes. Wish my kids and grandkids could do the same without fear of being arrested.

And dogs were running free...

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I've said it before, but you know you're from Sowal when your idea of whitewater rafting includes a dune lake outflow, an inner tube, and a six pack!

Ah...the good ole days!