• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
This Week: Beach Activities Ordinance Changes Take Effect

This week on May 22, 2015 several changes go into effect for the beach activities ordinance. The following changes in the beach activities ordinance, adopted by the Walton County Board of County Commissioners, will take effect:

• 2013-04-22-60(b)(1): Verbiage changed to distinguish the rights of “specific place” permitted vendors at a “specific beach” or “specific location” from those of a delivery vendor.
  • 2013-04-22-60(d)(1): The word “concession” replaced with “vending operation.”
  • 2013-04-22-60(d)(3): Verbiage inserted that prohibits vending set-ups in front of a lifeguard tower. The ordinance will now read that vendor chairs and umbrellas “must allow for a 10’ clear corridor from lifeguard towers to the water.”
  • 2013-04-22-60(d)(4): Verbiage changed to allow vendors beach access between “7:30 a.m., or after the morning sea turtle nesting survey has been completed, or whichever is earlier, and one hour after sunset. “
  • 2013-04-22-60(d)(6): Verbiage inserted to define that only “specific place permitted vendors” have the right to store a temporary beach storage box at the toe of the dune, provided it adheres to all of the guidelines listed in ordinance 2013-04-22-60(d)(6).
  • 2013-04-22-60(d)(9): Verbiage changed to allow properly permitted vendor vehicles access to the beach starting at “7:30 a.m. or after the morning sea turtle nesting survey has been completed.”
  • 2013-04-22-60(d)(10): New Ordinance Created: “Beach vendor’s operations are limited to no more than 50% of the beach frontage at any public beach access. The frontage shall be designated by the Walton County Tourist Development Council prior to March 1st of each year.”
  • 2013-04-22-60(e)(4): The words “lifesaving training” replaced with “a CPR certification or water safety certification recognized by the American Red Cross.”
  • 2013-04-22-60(h)(2)(a): Sentence added which reads: “Walton County Board of County Commissioners shall be listed as certificate holder and additionally insured on the insurance policy.”

The revised ordinance in its entirety can be found on Walton County Florida’s website: http://www.co.walton.fl.us/documentcenter/view/7847

For more information or questions about the changes in the beach activities ordinance contact Brian Kellenberger at Brian@visitsouthwalton.com, (850) 267-4578 or (850) 333-6236.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Copied from Jdarg. We should follow like PCB did with FT. Lauderdale on stopping spring thugs and violence

When we were in Bradenton at the middle school state track meet 2 weeks ago, we went over to Anna Maria Island for a little reconnaissance mission, looking at traffic, beaches, and infrastructure as compared to ours. The most striking thing we noticed- there was almost no beach vending. Beach goers had their own chairs and umbrellas. No beach chair venders at the public neighborhood beach accesses. Very limited at the several municipal owned accesses, and it was limited to one vendor, who did not set up chairs until about 10 am, and then only about half dozen about midway back- not hogging the front row. It reminded me of how it used to be here when people actually carried their own chairs to the beach. It is one thing to be at staying a condo or resort- one of the reasons people stay in such places you are for these amenities. But when staying in our sleepy beach neighborhoods, why would people expect resort amenities like beach chair set ups at the public accesses?

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Just heard all beach vendors had a mandatory meeting yesterday to discuss new rules and enforcement. Anyone attend?

Jackalope

Beach Lover
Jan 24, 2015
Not good enough. It's for public not private use. I'm all for entrepreneurs (l've been watching Shark Tank lately) but, infringing on 50% of public use is unacceptable. Hell, if my car breaks down on the side of the road and I can't get it moved in time I'll get a citation, right? You see where I'm coming from?

Mike Smith

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
Adding to other comments... 7:30 am is too early. As far as I'm concerned these set-ups are just polluting the morning sunrise and ocean views. They are usually sit empty until mid morning at the earliest. Move the start time back to something like 9am and ONLY allow set-ups to start once the person who purchased those set-ups are in occupancy. I don't believe 3/4 of what is set up is ever sold in advance or really occupied if they were sold. Anyone have any stats on this?

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Great Points.

Let's also not forget that this business is 90% CASH.

So probably not too many "records" of anything...

Mike Smith

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
Just an observation this morning... Looks like 9-10 beach set-ups were in place at the Walton Dunes beach access before 7:30. So much for the beach vendors respecting the new ordinances...

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Just an observation this morning... Looks like 9-10 beach set-ups were in place at the Walton Dunes beach access before 7:30. So much for the beach vendors respecting the new ordinances...
call JEFF 850-428-0089 beach enforcement. FYI BMB guy was set and gone at 6:45AM today

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
2013-04-22-60(d)(4): Verbiage changed to allow vendors beach access between “7:30 a.m., or after the morning sea turtle nesting survey has been completed, or whichever is earlier, and one hour after sunset. “