• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mac T

Beach Comber
Aug 3, 2014
Family of 3 with two very well behaved/trained indoor dogs in need of a home this week. We were supposed to move in to a home today (6/1). The lady contacted through an ad on Sowal Long Term forum. When I contacted her I specifically asked if she owned the home or if she was an agent. We toured the home last week. Submitted an application, agreed to deposit, monthly rent and a non-refundable pet deposit on Thursday. She asked on Friday if we could set up a time on Saturday to sign the lease and pay the deposit, etc. We scheduled a time and about 45 minutes before she said she had been too busy that day and asked if we could do it on Sunday, so we scheduled a time. We were planning on starting to move in today (Monday). Before the time came for our meeting I received a voicemail from an older gentlemen telling me he was her father, that he actually owned the home and even though she had a dog in the townhome he did not want renters that had dogs. We have a Chihuahua that is all of three pounds and an 8 year old German Shorthaired Pointer that has lived his entire life inside. We are professionals, in fact local business owners and very responsible with plans to build a home in the next couple years. I respect the fact that he does not want pets in his rental home, however we were misled and made to believe that the daughter owned the home and she approved our pets. This has put us in an almost unbelievable predicament that we are homeless at the end of the week in a market that is extremely difficult to find suitable long term rental properties and even more difficult looking for a place on 6/1 that is available on 6/1.

Is there a forum or resource that a consumer/ potential renter can use to protect themselves against such a thing? Landlords want the renter to be completely transparent and forthcoming about their history but the renter has to just trust the landlord. Just like our last landlord, told us he had professional landscapers and would have the house painted, neither of which was true. We were the black sheep of the neighborhood because he was always behind paying his HOA dues and had a lot of deferred maintenance, we paid on time every time and even paid in months advance sometimes, but there was no way for us to know what kind of landlord he was going to be. We didn't complain or cause problems with him we just paid rent and waited until we could find something else and this happens.

If you are a homeowner that has a long term 3 plus bedroom available now or even a short term available starting this week through the summer please contact me.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Family of 3 with two very well behaved/trained indoor dogs in need of a home this week. We were supposed to move in to a home today (6/1). The lady contacted through an ad on Sowal Long Term forum. When I contacted her I specifically asked if she owned the home or if she was an agent. We toured the home last week. Submitted an application, agreed to deposit, monthly rent and a non-refundable pet deposit on Thursday. She asked on Friday if we could set up a time on Saturday to sign the lease and pay the deposit, etc. We scheduled a time and about 45 minutes before she said she had been too busy that day and asked if we could do it on Sunday, so we scheduled a time. We were planning on starting to move in today (Monday). Before the time came for our meeting I received a voicemail from an older gentlemen telling me he was her father, that he actually owned the home and even though she had a dog in the townhome he did not want renters that had dogs. We have a Chihuahua that is all of three pounds and an 8 year old German Shorthaired Pointer that has lived his entire life inside. We are professionals, in fact local business owners and very responsible with plans to build a home in the next couple years. I respect the fact that he does not want pets in his rental home, however we were misled and made to believe that the daughter owned the home and she approved our pets. This has put us in an almost unbelievable predicament that we are homeless at the end of the week in a market that is extremely difficult to find suitable long term rental properties and even more difficult looking for a place on 6/1 that is available on 6/1.

Is there a forum or resource that a consumer/ potential renter can use to protect themselves against such a thing? Landlords want the renter to be completely transparent and forthcoming about their history but the renter has to just trust the landlord. Just like our last landlord, told us he had professional landscapers and would have the house painted, neither of which was true. We were the black sheep of the neighborhood because he was always behind paying his HOA dues and had a lot of deferred maintenance, we paid on time every time and even paid in months advance sometimes, but there was no way for us to know what kind of landlord he was going to be. We didn't complain or cause problems with him we just paid rent and waited until we could find something else and this happens.

If you are a homeowner that has a long term 3 plus bedroom available now or even a short term available starting this week through the summer please contact me.

Sorry to hear this. I don't have anything to rent, but I learned the hard way that you have to be very careful renting around here. Suffice it to say that the county's searchable property database will tell you quickly who owns a particular property you are interested in, then, once you figure out who that is, you can go to the clerk of court website and search anyone there, and if an owner's name pops up with a bunch of negative proceedings (liens, forclosures, suits, etc.) you have a pretty good idea that you need to move on. I wish you good luck and suggest that you look into a complex like TerraMar on HWY 98 as a landing place, even if temporary.

BeachMac

Beach Lover
Oct 3, 2008
Oh Sowalian, I am so sorry to read this. I wish we had something to offer you, but we don't yet own any rental properties. But I did want to thank you for warning people and sharing your experience, and wish you all the best on your search today. We just moved into what should be our last rental as we too are small business owners working on building ourselves, and we've learned like you that this market is really something when it comes to finding (and signing) long-term rentals.

It is good advice you have given to warn people, as we have had commercial and residential transactions in other areas, and never seen things in other markets like we have down here. My advice for locals (almost learned the hard way): Do not pay a deposit until AFTER signing the lease. We looked at a place we found on SoWal and because the demand is so strong down here, the owner asked for a deposit to hold the unit (he had a long list of people coming to see it that day as the listing on SoWal was full of replies), and he said he would draw up the lease and send it to us. In the moment, since they hit it off well and knew some similar people, my spouse wrote the check. Then we received the lease and it had language that we did not feel comfortable signing. The original fine print would have made us legally liable for things that are normally the responsibility of a homeowner, and also responsible for paying monthly rent until the structure was rebuilt in case of something like a fire, and responsible for paying the difference between the actual reconstruction cost and the homeowner's insurance. As tenants and not homeowners, you cannot get an insurance policy to cover reconstruction differentials as it is in a homeowner's policy to cover reconstruction, so we were in a pickle. Given that the owner was used to someone previously signing the lease without question, ultimately it fell through and they walked away when we asked for multiple compromises of the lease language. That's what was best for them, which I understand and thankfully the owner immediately offered to send us the deposit back. But I couldn't help but think that with a different owner we may have been out that deposit.

Best of luck to you. The previous poster is right about trying the apartment complex on 98, they had some units that were move-in ready in the new building when we toured a month or so ago. Not ideal, but will at least get you through high season, and I believe they allow pets. You also might want to try contacting A Simple Faith church, they recently sent out an email blast looking for a long-term rental for a couple, and if the response they received back was greater than the couple's need, they might have a few leads re: available inventory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Sorry this happened to you, if you do not mind Miramar Beach, I have a 2400+ 3 bed 2.5 bath with a huge loft and it is for sale but I am willing to help you and rent it out, call me @ 850-865-0997 Thank you
Hanie Nasri

You're a good guy Hanie! Miramar Beach is a wonderful spot to live.

Not all landlords are good ones. Always be very thorough. Our long term rental market is very difficult due to a lack of homes on the market. Sorry this has happened.

Mac T

Beach Comber
Aug 3, 2014
Mr. Nasri, that is very kind of you. I will be in touch with you today. Is there a better time than others to reach you?