• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Starting June 20, 2015 personal articles left on the beach in South Walton one hour after sunset will be removed before one hour after sunrise. In accordance with the existing Walton County Leave No Trace, Obstruction on the Beach Ordinance 2010-05 Section 22-54(g):

It shall be unlawful for items generally used for swimming, sunbathing, or beach recreation to remain on the beach between one (1) hour after dusk and one (1) hour after sunrise, except otherwise permitted in this ordinance. As used in this section, the phrase “generally used for swimming, sunbathing, or beach recreation“ shall include, but not be limited to, beach chairs, umbrellas, tents (including tent frames), hammocks, volleyball nets, picnic tables and tiki huts.

In the past, a courtesy warning through a tagging system may have resulted in a one day grace period by Code Enforcement; starting as of June 20, 2015 items left on the beach will be removed nightly, which helps to protect South Walton’s rare and endangered sea turtles that nest on our beaches annually May through October. This will ensure our beaches are kept safe, clean and free of obstructions.

Ordinance 2010-05 Section 22-54(g) for “Obstruction on the Beach” can be viewed online: http://www.co.walton.fl.us/DocumentCenter/Home/View/2279 . If you have any questions, please contact Walton County TDC Beach Operations at 850-267-4578.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Now, if we could only get them to remove the ridiculous signs and any fencing on the beach. Both are unnecessary and useless.

beachkitten

Beach Crab
Jun 1, 2015
What about the signs?

Hmmm...it seems this policy has been in place for a while and I understand its necessity to keep these beautiful beaches clean...but safety of beach goers? The sign telling me about the policy during my recent stay to the area was more hazardous to my health than someone's cast offs. At least I can see a pop up tent and a Winn Dixie chair lying on the sand. What I couldn't see was a sand-colored post while playing frisbee in the blinding sun during a red flag beach day. Just glad I was the one who took one for the team and not my 6 year old son. I agree with Andy A. I hope you plan to remove some posts and not add more to the pristine beach/dunes we love to visit (and hope to invest in very soon)

Last edited:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Yeah, the "sign Nazis" are able to leave their "stuff" on the beach night after night... what's up with that?

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
It's Godwin's Law!

Seriously, though. I agree about the private property signs, fences, and markings. They should be taken up at night.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
It's Godwin's Law!

Seriously, though. I agree about the private property signs, fences, and markings. They should be taken up at night.

They should be taken up, period. They are an affront to every sane thinking local and tourist.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
I agree, Andy. The private property signs, fences, markings should be removed from our beaches, period, for many reasons.