• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
The problem, per usual, isn't the good dog owners. It's the idiots who haven't taught their dogs, who allow them to run roughshod on the beach.

mydogbabe

Beach Comber
Feb 2, 2014
Contact Furry Fanatics to meet like minded dog people.

Thanks Skunkape! From Furry Fantics I found their website The Dogs of 30A which has good resources. http://www.thedogsof30a.com/

Thanks Happy Camper, that is encouraging!

Happy to Be - that is kind of my instinct. I am hoping that there are "hidden gems" (that we don't even need to talk about online) where dogs can roam off leash away from crowds.

Thanks for suggestions Teresa. check out dogs of 30a. It's a pretty good start for newbies like me, but def doesn't have the forum/community of Sowal.com (yet)

m1a1mg- always the problem!!

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
Sep 24, 2007
Sowal
Just don't get caught with your dog off the leash in Pt Washington.....the dogs are nice, but their people not so much. Self-appointed hall monitors in serious need of a life......if the shoe fits, put it on and kick yourself with it.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Just don't get caught with your dog off the leash in Pt Washington.....the dogs are nice, but their people not so much. Self-appointed hall monitors in serious need of a life......if the shoe fits, put it on and kick yourself with it.
Sad but true.. Pt.Washington (South Walton in general) used to be dog-ruled. I have lived in the area for decades and my dogs always ran loose. My neighbors might not really know me but they knew my dogs.We always looked out for our furry friends and once animal control even returned my dog to me when they found out they had picked him up from in front of my house in his spot in the road. I cant ever remember an aggressive dog around here, maybe some that were a bit too friendly. But with increased population comes increased attitude about what is "acceptable". Some folks moved in that were afraid of dogs running loose and it all changed ..my current furry friend has never known "off the leash" as she is a pitbull. (well...maybe a couple of times she got off the leash and raided the neighbors cats food bowl....LOL) But she has never been aggressive to any neighbor or their pet (even if that cat was defending its food bowl). Sorry to say, but now there are laws "on the books" we all have to abide by.

amw1016

Beach Comber
Nov 14, 2014
Check out "What's Up Dog?" Training and retail (food and training gear). They have great boarding options as well. This is the place to get the best dog food on the market. The owner, Steve, is also really friendly and knowledgeable and is happy to answer any questions. I highly recommend them for training (even if you don't need it-tips are always great), food, and boarding.

http://www.bestobedience.com
http://vonherderhaus.com/
https://www.facebook.com/bestobedience

Also, Melanie with 30Aswimdog is awesome! She does hydrotherapy with dogs...not necessarily always for injuries, but sometimes for good exercise since it gets so hot here and we can't always take our furbabies to the beach. Her website is www.30aswimdog.com.

As someone previously mentioned, the closest dog park is in need of a make over and the other 2 are pretty far away. However, there is the website called meetup.com and people can start up meet up groups....I'm not opposed to having a group for those of us in SRB and nearby that want to do some dog/people socializing. Perhaps organizing it via that website and meeting at the dog park, but eventually once the group were to get to know one another it could be in other settings like parties, bbq's, etc. Thoughts?

Sorry to high-jack the post, but I've been having the same thoughts about dog/people socialization!

-Ashley

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Make sure to visit Bow Wow Meow Pet Company in Seagrove Beach for all your pet supplies and a wonderful do it yourself bath facility. John can advise you on all you need to know about dogs and resources in SoWal.

Also, we love Kindness Pet Hospital in Dune Allen Beach for any vet needs.

seal

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2006
Slightly off topic here, but seeing that this thread is mostly dog lovers.

Have been to the site www.dognition.com? I first heard about it on a 60 Minutes piece, "The Smartest Dog In the World". You can see that clip at the site. It's a site where you can purchase a pretty extensive, but simple, set of tests that you do at home to see how intelligent your dog is and how he sees and navigates the world. I guarantee you will know your dog much better after you do this. I am not affiliated with this site and I don't get anything if you try it out. I just think it's great.

Kindness Pet Hospital

Beach Comber
Feb 8, 2013
Thank you for the referral, Teresa!! KINDNESS PET HOSPIAL is DEFINITLEY dog friendly!!

www.kindnesspets30a.com

Kindness Pet Hospital
6744 W Co Hwy 30A
Santa Rosa Beach FL 32459
paws@kindnesspets30a.com

Make sure to visit Bow Wow Meow Pet Company in Seagrove Beach for all your pet supplies and a wonderful do it yourself bath facility. John can advise you on all you need to know about dogs and resources in SoWal.

Also, we love Kindness Pet Hospital in Dune Allen Beach for any vet needs.