• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
"prickly poppy", I like that.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Howdy y'all! :wave: Long time/no post.

I'm a Southern gal from Louisiana. Little story here: My dad, born in New Orleans, had a shot glass that said "Darn Tootin' I'm A Rebel" and he was one of the most loving, respected men I know. 2 purple hearts, Silver Star, well-educated and cultured - just a fine man and father. Before he passed, we had discussions about the Confederate flag - and he, like me, saw it very clearly. He should be allowed to have his shot glass, he should be allowed to fly the Confederate flag at his house (he didn't and never would have), his church should be allowed to fly the Confederate flag (though he never belonged to a church), but the Confederate flag should not be flown on public land. The exception, as we saw it, might be a historic display of ALL flags that have flown over said state. Such as http://www.museumsouthernhistory.com/flags/flagsofflorida.html

I was in DeFuniak this weekend and went to see the monument and flag up close. I was surprised to learn that when the monument was first erected, it was not on public land. It was later moved to the lawn of the public courthouse.

I think this is not about what the Confederate flag means to an individual. No one will ever see eye to eye on that and everyone is entitled to their beliefs and convictions. This is about whether or not the flag should be displayed on government land. I say no. Fly it privately as you wish, but keep it off the courthouse lawn.

:thanks:

Thanks for your thoughtful post. I do believe many confuse the right to privately own and fly the Rebel Flag as they wish with whether it ought to be displayed on public grounds. We all know it's part of our history and want to respect that history, and tell that whole history with all its truths, in a museum. In books. In movies. In stories. I've learned a lot recently about this flag and it's history.

JoeWormwood

Beach Lover
Oct 9, 2008
There are so many private things I do that you would not want to see public.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Howdy y'all! :wave: Long time/no post.

I'm a Southern gal from Louisiana. Little story here: My dad, born in New Orleans, had a shot glass that said "Darn Tootin' I'm A Rebel" and he was one of the most loving, respected men I know. 2 purple hearts, Silver Star, well-educated and cultured - just a fine man and father. Before he passed, we had discussions about the Confederate flag - and he, like me, saw it very clearly. He should be allowed to have his shot glass, he should be allowed to fly the Confederate flag at his house (he didn't and never would have), his church should be allowed to fly the Confederate flag (though he never belonged to a church), but the Confederate flag should not be flown on public land. The exception, as we saw it, might be a historic display of ALL flags that have flown over said state. Such as http://www.museumsouthernhistory.com/flags/flagsofflorida.html

I was in DeFuniak this weekend and went to see the monument and flag up close. I was surprised to learn that when the monument was first erected, it was not on public land. It was later moved to the lawn of the public courthouse.

I think this is not about what the Confederate flag means to an individual. No one will ever see eye to eye on that and everyone is entitled to their beliefs and convictions. This is about whether or not the flag should be displayed on government land. I say no. Fly it privately as you wish, but keep it off the courthouse lawn.

:thanks:

Glad you are back!
One interesting fact is that the monument is where it is partly as the result of a decision of the Florida Supreme Court, see below. The monument was restored since the time this article was published.

Walton County Heritage Association looks to restore Confederate monument
Aug 2nd, 2012 |
By JEFFREY POWELL
Current visitors to the Walton County Courthouse must enter the building from the east. This allows everyone entering to be screened by security personnel. This entrance also routes citizens away from two war monuments that sit on the courthouse’s south lawn. One of those monuments honors Walton County soldiers killed in battle after the American Civil War. The other honors those killed during the American Civil War. The Civil War monument sits on the western edge of the property and has a unique history of its own.
Shortly after the Civil War, a group of Walton County women, led by Jennett McCullom, felt the need to have a monument dedicated to those men that had perished during the conflict. The group was able to raise enough money to have a New Orleans artist sculpt the monument and have it delivered to the Euchee Valley Presbyterian Church which was the center of activity during that time. Shortly after the monument arrived several men in the community suggested that the monument should sit next to the Eucheeanna Courthouse a couple of miles west. This of course caused quite a stir in the community. The men prevailed and the monument was moved, for the first but certainly not the last time.
Florida Constitutional Convention Delegate John Morrison had lost two sons and a nephew during the war. He had also contributed generously to have the monument built and placed, so he believed, at the church. After the monument was moved he hatched a plan to bring the monument back there. He and his son took this upon themselves and moved the stone under the cover of darkness.
After the Supreme Court of Florida became involved the monument was ordered returned to the Eucheeanna courthouse. The monument remained there until moved to DeFuniak Springs, the new county seat.
Today, the much traveled monument is in need of restoration and the replacement of an urn with a skyward pointing hand that once adorned the obelisk. No one is quite sure what happened to the original obelisk cap. The repairs will cost approximately $3,500 with GLMCO donating some of the services.
“Restoring this monument will be good for the city, county and state,” said Walton County Heritage Association President Diane Merkel. “Many of the names on the monument are still names that can be found among the citizens of Walton County. This was the first Civil War monument in the state of Florida and it honors those men who died while serving for their state and defending their homeland. This project is purely about history and heritage and is by no means a political statement. It is imperative that we preserve the history of Walton County.”

http://defuniakherald.com/?p=5477

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Even if the flag is to remain in place, maybe people will have learned a little bit more about their true history and heritage...

11717507_10207306261923699_9105420643394800509_o.jpg

11696524_10207306261283683_3305335082853854714_o.jpg

11221490_10207306260603666_1267838259123341625_o.jpg

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Dear Mr. Ortiz, Though I strongly agree with your conclusion regarding removing the confederate flag I strongly disagree with your "opinion" that the only reason Walton County raised the confederate flag at the memorial was out of protest. I am very disappointed that you would use your status in History Education to make a projection of character on those people so long ago. You further only mentioned atrocities on the confederate side of that war knowing full well that there was atrocities on both sides. I know why it is correct to remove the flag but NOT because of your one sided history.

seal

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2006
West Coast liberals...err "Progressives" like Ortiz don't like to share that there were free black men who owned slaves or that black men fought for the Confederacy. It doesn't fit their revisionist narrative. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF-QIJyLhKQ

For Southerners, this flag flew above our great great grandfathers as they defended their COUNTRIES (then) or now, states.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
It was eye opening all over again to read the Ortiz letter. Educators permeating their biases to young people who then believe they have all the "facts" and "evidence" from which to make the proper choices in life. Bias usually raises it's ugly head from people who tell half truths and one sided stories (a prime example is the news media). Hypocrisy, prejudice and racism come from those same people who call themselves intellectuals (educated people that easily spew out elitist rhetoric and believe their education puts them in a higher class of existence). I have heard people in this thread believe that they "know" another persons character because of the flags they are waving. Human behavior has potential for good but we seem to get caught up in "things" to divide us and that is what promotes hatred. Ortiz did not mention a word about mental health and gun safety which should be the issue yet feels compelled toward judgement of people. Until he responds I will give him the benefit of the doubt and believe that he was just trying too hard at being politically correct instead of socially correct and finding answers to the questions of mental health and guns.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
This subject should be closed by now with most people in an agreement of "opinion" and it should be left up to the people of Walton County with a true "history" in this county and probably know very "clearly" what their intentions are with flying the confederate flag. For any of us to pass "judgement" is very worrisome. While our opinions are important in discussions and debates our biases and prejudices first need to be recognized so that we can check our historical facts against this bias. As I read Mr. Ortiz's letter I realized that some educators are an important root cause of bias and that is the reason why so many people have "evolved" into followers instead of leaders.