• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
beach code enforcement Jeff 850-428-0089 I would call him before you arrive back next week and alert him...then follow up after you arrive and see nothing has changed....give him vendor names and numbers....persistence pays off ( i.e. BMB )

Thanks for the info! I will definitely be calling him if I see what I saw last time. Hopefully others will do likewise. Between the private beach signs and the beach chair vendors, there's not much beach left for the average beach-goer, and I'm not going to be forced to rent their chairs when I have a closet full myself.

Thanks again!

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
I'm wondering if they're using some kind of loophole in the new ordinance in order to set up ghost rentals early. Didn't a County Commissioner abstain from the vote due to a relative/conflict of interest, but then participate in the discussion?

We always set up either in front of Eastern Shores or, if our 3 yr old & 9 yr old daughters are with us, in the "Walton County Port Authority" parcel area so they can play in Eastern Lake or the Gulf. We also set up early so that we'll have a spot. We haven't had any conflicts with them and they've been nice to us, but this is ridiculous for them to move people's stuff!

reece

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2005
This makes me nostalgic. I remember our first few trips to 30a 10 + years ago and we were practically the only people on the beach. Boy times have changed. Still the most beautiful though!

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
I'm wondering if they're using some kind of loophole in the new ordinance in order to set up ghost rentals early. Didn't a County Commissioner abstain from the vote due to a relative/conflict of interest, but then participate in the discussion?

We always set up either in front of Eastern Shores or, if our 3 yr old & 9 yr old daughters are with us, in the "Walton County Port Authority" parcel area so they can play in Eastern Lake or the Gulf. We also set up early so that we'll have a spot. We haven't had any conflicts with them and they've been nice to us, but this is ridiculous for them to move people's stuff!

View attachment 41499

ForumRunner_20150710_082045.jpg

ForumRunner_20150710_082110.jpg

View attachment 41499

Sugar Dunes this AM. 40 umbrellas on the waterline so close together that you cannot walk down to the beach. Beachfront Trail same thing. Lots of "rented" set ups that are magically no shows. This our only stretch of beach that is public and it is getting cluttered by greedy vendors and we are letting it happen! A call to Jeff this AM.

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I think, not only should you call Jeff, you should call all five BCC elected officials. A call to Larry Jones, County Administrator, would not hurt, either.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
> Sugar Dunes this AM. 40 umbrellas on the waterline so close together that you cannot walk down to the beach. Beachfront Trail same thing. Lots of "rented" set ups that are magically no shows. This our only stretch of beach that is public and it is getting cluttered by greedy vendors and we are letting it happen! A call to Jeff this AM.[/QUOTE] This is exactly what we witnessed in front of One Seagrove several weeks ago, except that the chairs were 4 deep. They left a small area for the rest of us In an "aisle". then placed several chairs on the waterline on the other side. Right next to that was a "private beach" sign so the remaining public with their own chairs and umbrellas were left to crowd into a small area. We took our chairs and sat at the waterline in front of the private beach signs and were ready to challenge if anyone had approached us, which they didn't. Jeff will be getting several calls next week if we run into the same scene. Vendors need to be tossed off the beach and required to stand at the bottom of the beach walkover with their chairs. If someone wants to rent a chair they can choose their location just like the rest of us. That may sound extreme, but the beach vendor actions are getting extreme and ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
Wow, and two rows deep. And I don't even see where all the rental units are in that area that would occupy all of those chairs in that area; your picture is a good bit east of Beachside Villas. It does look like that chair rental agency is trying to occupy and control that stretch of beach. I've never seen their solid green setups on the other side of the lake (Eastern Lake Road area).

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
And luvthebeach - 4 rows deep is even worse! We saw 4-6 rows deep several years ago when we rented at Seacrest Beach; I've since learned that that community overbuilt beyond their deeded beach access with the development on the beachside of 30A where they trolley their guests.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
OK now you're going to hear from a long time local. I've lived here for over 15 years and our son & wife are here now with our three grandchildren. So there better be room on the beach for us and no one better move our chairs either!!! This whole area is getting a bit ridiculous and sometimes the thought of moving is the only peace I seem to get. Walking our beautiful beach doesn't give me that anymore because even that's too much of a hassle. Just for one, you have all these folks playing football, throwing a frisbee back and forth or hitting a little ball with a paddle at the water's edge and refuse to let you pass by. Oh they see you coming alright but they won't halt their game. I was hit in the back with a frisbee not long ago and I refuse to walk by when someone is throwing anything. Not only do the beach vendors have no manners but neither do our visitors! Calgon take me away........PLEASE!!!