• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BlaineAtk

Beach Comber
Mar 31, 2012
This may be an odd request, maybe not so we shall see. I know that our area has many, many people who vary in degrees of success but in general, most seem to be above average. When I'm driving around and meeting new people I find myself very interested in what people have done or what brought them their success.

I often ask many of our local people what they did before they were at their current level to reach their status. Many seem plainly happy that someone is interested in their story and I'm always trying to learn from others. I'm not too interested in what they have acquired as far as wealth goes, just what they did to gain their success.

I didn't come from any real family money or what most would consider successful people. Not saying I was poor or anything like that but I have always wanted to attain a level of success. Not to show off or flaunt, simply to have that level of freedom and security. So many people live their lives burdened with money problems or indebted to their "assets" (in quotations because I struggle to believe that when you are paying for something that isn't putting money back into your pocket that it can be considered an asset, seems more like a liability to me. ) and that's what I want to avoid in my life.

For a little back story on me, I'm a 27 year old guy who moved to the SRB area in 09 from Pensacola. I work offshore on ships, I have a master's license and an unlimited tonnage mates license.

I have made a few business ventures, none being over the top in performance. I attempted buying and selling lots (property) at one point but didn't make much to speak of. I contribute to a 401k with my employer, a personal IRA and a traditional savings account.

What I'm ultimately asking for in this post is for others life experiences on what brought you success and possibly some of the pitfalls associated with it.

Anyone wanting to contribute information, I would love to learn from your experiences! I'm sure there are some fantastic stories that lead you to where you are now.

Thanks everyone!

bentley williams

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
SoWal
If you're able to live in SoWal you're a success.

I'm serious. Although to be happy you may need a little extra money to have some free time, raise a family, travel, or have a hobby or two.

BlaineAtk

Beach Comber
Mar 31, 2012
Thanks for your reply!

It's not that I don't feel as though I have attained a certain level of success, it's that I know there are varying degrees that can be reached. Many people plateau in various areas of life and I feel that success can be one of those areas.

I feel extremely grateful for my ability to live where I live and be able to do some of the things that my level of success has afforded me. There is alway that feeling in the background of stagnation and it makes me want to move forward with new prospects or ideas that come along. I just don't always know if they will be the right decisions.

Coming from my beginnings and knowing the people from the areas where I was raised, many perpetuate the lifestyle that they were brought into. To most people, i have found that whatever situation or atmosphere they were raised in is what they associate with "normal". I actually had no idea about the South Walton area or 30a until I moved to the area and can't imagine leaving. I still wish I could keep the place a secret haha.

Again, I appreciate the reply