• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Doubt it. There are similar battles being fought all over the South. DFS ain't that special.

Now the NAACP asking that the Confederate generals monument on Stone Mountain be removed, that might get interesting.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/naacp-wants-removal-confederate-generals-stone-mou/nmyKH/

And it's a hidden memorial and flag at Walton County court house. Most of us didn't know it existed.

I understand removal of flags from public grounds. But memorials are quite different. We didn't use those memorials as a symbol against civil rights, or to stand for white supremacy and kkk terror over the years. Though I can see how some would say that the memorials glorify the days of slavery. I don't agree. I think they are pieces of history that we should never forget.

The south will rise again. In a good way. Perhaps all the discussion and views about flags and memorials is good for us.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
When someone gives an inch another will take a mile. It is the nature of people. Kind of the reason why it is important to stand for a principal (Confederate Flag, Confederate Memorial and an accurate history). This debate has now been fully hijacked by an agenda. I hope that the South does rise again only to protect our Heritage. In all honesty removing the Confederate Flag is proving to be just an excuse for many to promote a form of bigotry or intolerance toward Southern Conservative Politics AND Southern Culture in general. I for one Southerner have been asleep but now I am awake.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Would someone please tell me who is trying to erase history and how they are doing it?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
When someone gives an inch another will take a mile. It is the nature of people. Kind of the reason why it is important to stand for a principal (Confederate Flag, Confederate Memorial and an accurate history). This debate has now been fully hijacked by an agenda. I hope that the South does rise again only to protect our Heritage. In all honesty removing the Confederate Flag is proving to be just an excuse for many to promote a form of bigotry or intolerance toward Southern Conservative Politics AND Southern Culture in general. I for one Southerner have been asleep but now I am awake.

I would rather not depend on a flag to tell the story. Why don't we demand good history curriculum in school for once? Take out a book, watch history channel, smithsonian, etc... Go to museums. Southerners do not know their own story to the extent that they should. Including all of us. We don't talk about it. No one ever talks about it unless a flag is the subject. Then suddenly, we have a heritage to protect.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Yes it seems that an accurate description of Southern Heritage may be gone with my generation. History books will teach that the confederate flag symbolized bigotry and racism and had to be removed. This is not history! Not even close.

Teresa, who writes the history books? The History Channel needs viewers so they as all TV is not without bias. I do agree with museums being a wonderful resource for accurate history but it takes lots of money. The last time I checked money is being hoarded by the rich to get richer (much of which pays for elections these days). I also agree that Southern children and young adults do not know their own history. Educators like Mr. Ortiz is very likely teaching only one side of history. All I can do is spend my remaining years defending a very rich Southern Heritage to a generation that would rather learn through social media than listen to me. There may not be enough fish in the ocean...

Last edited by a moderator:

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Would someone please tell me who is trying to erase history and how they are doing it?

Telling only one side of history is erasing history. Poppy, there is another side to the Confederate Flag that you and many others do not even know about because you do not want to know about it. I would be glad to try and explain it to you but you are not going to get it no matter what I say. Your mind is made up and you feel like you have the moral high ground or something to that effect. Being intolerant is a choice.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Me thinks the flaggers doth protesteth to mucheth

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Both the north and the south owned slaves. It was truly one of the most dismal periods of our nation. Why would you want to commemorate it?you can remember the fallen soldiers without trying to glorify the fact that they died in a terribly misguided endeavor. Can't we all agree that the Confederacy was just simply wrong, and a waste of countless lives?

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
No one wants to shame those who fought for the Confederacy, we're just glad they didn't prevail. I wouldn't judge anyone today for the misguided actions of their ancestors whether they fought for the north or the south. The only people I take issue with are the ones who have an obsessive need to glorify this most "dismal period", to quote LVT, in American history. It's clear that this has absolutely nothing to do with honoring the fallen, but rather it's a selfish desire for self-promotion.