• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Telling only one side of history is erasing history. Poppy, there is another side to the Confederate Flag that you and many others do not even know about because you do not want to know about it. I would be glad to try and explain it to you but you are not going to get it no matter what I say. Your mind is made up and you feel like you have the moral high ground or something to that effect. Being intolerant is a choice.
And your mind is not made up? You are becoming absolutely pathetic with your excuses for the continuation of displaying the flag on public property. Only in your imagination is someone rewriting history.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Both the north and the south owned slaves. It was truly one of the most dismal periods of our nation. Why would you want to commemorate it?you can remember the fallen soldiers without trying to glorify the fact that they died in a terribly misguided endeavor. Can't we all agree that the Confederacy was just simply wrong, and a waste of countless lives?
Northern aggression was wrong and a waste of countless lives. Slavery would have ended without the Civil War. Can't we just agree on that?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Slavery would have ended without the Civil War? That is the most ludicrous statement you have ever made. I've tried to be compassionate about my responses, but that is truly a stupid remark. I'm going back to Pluto.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I did not say that history is being rewritten. All I am saying is that the Confederacy is being misrepresented when it comes to the History.

Poppy, if you read back your sentences as if someone was speaking to you that way how do you think you would feel about it? I know that you can respect another viewpoint better than that. Your opinion matters to you just as mine matters to me. Why is that so hard to understand? If you need to feel superior, well okay go ahead but we are all just human beings trying to get along.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
I did not say that history is being rewritten. All I am saying is that the Confederacy is being misrepresented when it comes to the History. Poppy, if you read back your sentences as if someone was speaking to you that way how do you think you would feel about it? I know that you can respect another viewpoint better than that. Your opinion matters to you just as mine matters to me. Why is that so hard to understand? If you need to feel superior, well okay go ahead but we are all just human beings trying to get along.
You said erasing which is rewriting and I'm sorry I make you feel inferior that is not my intention.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
No one wants to shame those who fought for the Confederacy, we're just glad they didn't prevail. I wouldn't judge anyone today for the misguided actions of their ancestors whether they fought for the north or the south. The only people I take issue with are the ones who have an obsessive need to glorify this most "dismal period", to quote LVT, in American history. It's clear that this has absolutely nothing to do with honoring the fallen, but rather it's a selfish desire for self-promotion.
That is a fair question and I respect your position. It probably does seem like I am trying to glorify the Confederacy but that would not be the correct word to use. Respect and/or Honor would be the correct word. We agree it was a dismal period but that is our only common ground. We will just have to disagree with what the Confederate Flag represents to each person. I can tolerate removal of the flag from the courthouse if you can tolerate our respect for flying the flag on our private property. Do we have a deal?

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
You said erasing which is rewriting and I'm sorry I make you feel inferior that is not my intention.
Thank you but I do not feel inferior or superior in my position. I understand the controversy. I respect your position and in return I would like for you to respect my position. Is that possible?

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Slavery would have ended without the Civil War? That is the most ludicrous statement you have ever made. I've tried to be compassionate about my responses, but that is truly a stupid remark. I'm going back to Pluto.
Lake View Too, calling someone stupid is about as disrespectful and uncalled for as can be. I have read a lot of history and it is my opinion that Slavery would have ended without having a War. Of course that is only a theory and you do not have to agree. Do you really believe that brother would fight against brother for slavery when neither of them owned slaves?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I apologize. Let me re-phrase that. Slavery might have been ended without a civil war, if not for the Confederacy, which declared, as its cornerstone, that Negroes were inferior and should be slaves. The Confederacy, which is what the Confederate flag stands for (duh), was the cause of the Civil War. By defending the Confederate flag, you are defending the Confederacy, which was the cause of the loss of hundreds of thousands of American lives.

Last edited:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I've been holding my tongue so far, but just have to pull a Godwin's law at this point- how would you feel if the Germans decided that the Nazi flag should start flying throughout the country as a sign of the country's heritage and to honor the nation's soldiers?

IMO, it's not really all that different than the Confederate flag hanging throughout the South today.