• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I understand your opinion but disagree with your conclusions. The Confederacy was formed because of the exact same reasons that formed the United States Of America. Before the Confederacy was formed both North and South owned slaves and believed that Negroes were inferior. Why do you think Lee let his slaves go before Grant? The cornerstone was States Rights. Racism existed on both sides. The Confederacy needed cash and where best to find cash but from Plantation owners. The North needed support as well and Lincoln was brilliant in his ability to use Slavery as the moral reason for the war. Lincoln had many moments of despair in which he was not certain whose side God was on. Bottom line: The Civil War was about money and power. Do you understand?

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I've been holding my tongue so far, but just have to pull a Godwin's law at this point- how would you feel if the Germans decided that the Nazi flag should start flying throughout the country as a sign of the country's heritage and to honor the nation's soldiers?

IMO, it's not really all that different than the Confederate flag hanging throughout the South today.
I am so sorry that you do not see the difference. You have no idea how insensitive that statement is to many many people.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I am so sorry that you do not see the difference. You have no idea how insensitive that statement is to many many people.

Explain the difference between defending a system that exterminated Africans along the Middle Passage and the Nazi extermination of the Jews and others they saw as' undesirable. Also explain the fundamental differences between plantation life and concentration camps.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
That is a fair question and I respect your position. It probably does seem like I am trying to glorify the Confederacy but that would not be the correct word to use. Respect and/or Honor would be the correct word. We agree it was a dismal period but that is our only common ground. We will just have to disagree with what the Confederate Flag represents to each person. I can tolerate removal of the flag from the courthouse if you can tolerate our respect for flying the flag on our private property. Do we have a deal?

I can absolutely tolerate flying the flag on private property, I've already said that. Doesn't mean I like it, but I tolerate it. I completely tolerate all forms of private expression no matter how tasteless or offensive I might find it. You would never see me requesting that a citizen remove the flag from his private property.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
I can absolutely tolerate flying the flag on private property, I've already said that. Doesn't mean I like it, but I tolerate it. I completely tolerate all forms of private expression no matter how tasteless or offensive I might find it. You would never see me requesting that a citizen remove the flag from his private property.
It's as if someone hasn't been paying attention to the message.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Explain the difference between defending a system that exterminated Africans along the Middle Passage and the Nazi extermination of the Jews and others they saw as' undesirable. Also explain the fundamental differences between plantation life and concentration camps.
I will be glad to explain the difference to you but we will have to do it outside this forum because I have a consensus with Poppy and Leader of the Banned (smart, knowledgeable and idealistic debaters). So hopefully this thread has died an honorable death.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach

This photo reportedly was taken last night outside the hotel in Oklahoma City where President Obama was staying. He’s there to visit a federal prison, the first sitting president to ever do so.