• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I'm glad we can still say y'all...

Y'all means all. As in everyone. It's part of my Southern Heritage that no one can change no matter what happens to a flag.

When I think of my heritage, I think of wonderful Italian immigrants, poor farmers in Birmingham, finding their dream and building their lives and families, awesome food, casseroles and pasta, sweet tea, big porches, hard work, Sunday dinners, family, good friends, Sunday mass, funerals, weddings, baptisms... all the good stuff. And the hard times. Southern heritage is family and traditions to me. And giving food and comfort to friends, family, and neighbors of any color - whatever they had that they could give. Visiting the sick. Taking food to the elderly. Protecting their own, but extending their love to anyone who needed it.

The confederate flag never was part of it for us - perhaps we weren't quite white enough back then to adopt it as our heritage. That makes me glad. But, no one could be more patriotic and proud to be an American in the deep South.

We love our Southern Heritage.

VoiceOfReason

Beach Comber
Jan 11, 2015
Seems a little near sighted IMO to characterize the rebel flag as a symbol of hate and saying that it what it represents. Couldn't someone say the Flag of the USA represents hatred of Asians just because of the Internment of Japanese Americans and/or hatred of people of Midle Eastern heritage because of the torturing revelations.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Seems a little near sighted IMO to characterize the rebel flag as a symbol of hate and saying that it what it represents. Couldn't someone say the Flag of the USA represents hatred of Asians just because of the Internment of Japanese Americans and/or hatred of people of Midle Eastern heritage because of the torturing revelations.

I've heard this argument and it doesn't fly, in my opinion. The American Flag represents a great nation which has been a beautiful work in progress since its birth. It flies over a history of greatness and hardships and wrongs eventually made right - the evolution continues always.

VoiceOfReason

Beach Comber
Jan 11, 2015
I agree with you in regards to the US Flag. My point is that same logic and reasoning should be applied to the Confederate Flag

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I agree with you in regards to the US Flag. My point is that same logic and reasoning should be applied to the Confederate Flag

Well, one reason is that the war was lost. Another is that the rebel flag has not evolved because it has no country to fly over, though it has been raised from the dead and put to use by white governors against civil rights, the Klan for terror, and white supremacists to represent their causes. I doubt very much that our confederate ancestors want to see it fly. Memorials are dedicated to their lives and honor. Let them be honored well.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Buy yourself a Confederate flag, run it up your flag pole and apply whatever logic and reason that makes you happy. The rest of us will honor the official US flag. Is this a great country or not?

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Well, one reason is that the war was lost. Another is that the rebel flag has not evolved because it has no country to fly over, though it has been raised from the dead and put to use by white governors against civil rights, the Klan for terror, and white supremacists to represent their causes. I doubt very much that our confederate ancestors want to see it fly. Memorials are dedicated to their lives and honor. Let them be honored well.
Please try not to project what you think our Confederate Ancestors would want to do with the Confederate Flag. My opinion is that they would fly the Confederate Flag out of respect for those that died. I am hoping that this thread can die an honorable death. Don't you think it is time?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Please try not to project what you think our Confederate Ancestors would want to do with the Confederate Flag. My opinion is that they would fly the Confederate Flag out of respect for those that died. I am hoping that this thread can die an honorable death. Don't you think it is time?

It's just my thought that an honorable soldier knows when the battle is lost and the flag and its ideas are surrendered and retired. Though the memory of the war and the soldiers who lived or died lives in our hearts, history, museums, art, and hearts. I'm pretty sure the Union flag was put away as it was no longer needed. And yes, this thread probably ought to also retire honorably and respectfully with a look at our living history: Civil War Reenactment at Eden Gardens State Park [old photos]...

090124-eden-011.jpg

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012

Yes.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012

No.