• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
It's just my thought that an honorable soldier knows when the battle is lost and the flag and its ideas are surrendered and retired. Though the memory of the war and the soldiers who lived or died lives in our hearts, history, museums, art, and hearts. I'm pretty sure the Union flag was put away as it was no longer needed. And yes, this thread probably ought to also retire honorably and respectfully with a look at our living history: Civil War Reenactment at Eden Gardens State Park [old photos]...

090124-eden-011.jpg

Thank you for posting this pic... I took my kids to these every year to see what is was really like during those times. My kids have been raised with the best of both..mom from Birmingham, dad from Brooklyn..they went to these reenactments and we encouraged them to hear "both sides" ... now they only judge people by their
actions..not their skin,religion.sex etc.. sad to say that some of their prejudices have everything to do with some "religions" and "races"....it is NOT something they were taught..it is something they have witnessed and drawn their own conclusions about.....

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Just curious...

Which flag would folks like to see banned after the shooting incident in TN?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
The local newspaper comes out with an opinion statement...

EDITORIAL: nwfdailynews

Posted Jun 29, 2015 at 12:01 AM
Updated Jun 29, 2015 at 4:10 PM

If, as The Associated Press reported, the Confederate battle flag has “quickly … fallen into official disrepute” across the South, not all the latest developments are discouraging. There is good news to report.

First, politicians’ efforts to remove the flag have focused on banners waving atop government property, such as state capitol grounds and war memorials. Individuals who wish to display the Confederate flag can still do so, as long as it’s on private property. That’s the way it should be.

If you’re a fan of the flag, you can run it up a flagpole outside your home, tape it to the side of your car or truck, nail it to your roof or go wild with it on social media. Nobody’s stopping you.

On your own property, we believe, you can do pretty much whatever you want.

Public property is different. It’s maintained with taxes paid by everyone and is supposed to be accessible to everyone. So, ideally, public property should not boast features deeply offensive to large segments of the public.

That’s what the Confederate flag is. In the 1860s, it rallied troops into battle. A hundred years later, it rallied opposition to the civil rights movement. Many find it a troubling emblem.

Our second item of good news, then, is that petitions are circulating to have Confederate flags removed from the county courthouse lawn in DeFuniak Springs and from a Civil War memorial in Crestview. Local officials say they’ll consider the requests.

Find the petitions at www.change.org.

Our June 26 report on the petition drive mentioned how many signatures had been collected, but that’s not important. Leaders in Walton and Okaloosa counties should take down their Confederate flags because it’s the right thing to do.

Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley figured it out. Last week he ordered the removal of four Confederate banners from outside the capitol in Montgomery. He didn’t ask anybody. He just did it.

If the rebel flag has outstayed its welcome in Alabama, it certainly has in Northwest Florida. Let’s put this behind us.

Northwest Florida Daily News editors
http://m.nwfdailynews.com/article/20150629/OPINION/306299996/15921/OPINION

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Just curious...

Which flag would folks like to see banned after the shooting incident in TN?

Good question. I now see the similarities between the Confederate flag and the Isis flag.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Speaking of Tennessee, here are some like minded brothers for you flaggers.

Don't confuse my position Poppy...the bottom line is I don't care one way or another. A piece of material doesn't define my personal beliefs or how I treat my fellow man, woman or child. We all bleed the same color.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I am seeing more and more rebel flags around town, mostly rigged up on pickup trucks (maybe the time to attach that flag could have been put to better use cleaning the beer cans and trash out of the truck bed, but I digress). Anyway, the whole visual, including the demeanor of the drivers and passengers (not seeing many people who bathe, wear clean clothes, or seem to have any pride in personal appearance drive these vehicles), made me recoil. I am sure I am not the only one on the road who was uncomfortable (OK I snickered first)- if this keeps up and are more prevalent, our main economy might take a hit. Because the majority of people vacationing here aren't coming to SoWal to see this kind of "southern pride". They are here to experience the "southern pride in hospitality" that feeds so many people here, including the dumbasses that don't make that connection as they leave their job at the resort, vacation rental company, or construction job site, flying their southern pride on their trucks. Yeah, that flag is such a money and success magnet....

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
They have a right to display their flag. They should just let it all hang out and the whole world can see what this place is all about, for better or for worse. Let the chips fall where they may.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I guess there is a bright side. We might see s decline in traffic and crowds on the beaches.