• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I do think the good outweighs the bad by far in South Walton, however I was a little taken aback yesterday when a friend from Panama City of all places told me how backwards Walton County is, in reference to the battle flag flying over the tombstone at the courthouse.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Flags are coming down but that's just a small step...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/lens/2015/06/30/making-a-confederate-flag-invisible/?_r=0&referrer=

"The problem of racism is not over. Not in the precincts of Southern white supremacy; not in the classrooms and shopping malls of suburban America; not in the liberal cities, whose voters were largely responsible for electing our nation’s first black president. But until we face down racism in all of its quarters, including that which lies within ourselves, it will always be the problem of other people in other places, worlds apart from the one in which we live... "

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Don't confuse my position Poppy...the bottom line is I don't care one way or another. A piece of material doesn't define my personal beliefs or how I treat my fellow man, woman or child. We all bleed the same color.
I do believe you're the one causing confusion on your position.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I do believe you're the one causing confusion on your position.
Not sure what you're confused about...I've said from the beginning "that a piece of material doesn't define me or my past, never flown any flag, pretty agnostic about religion in general and don't have an issue in regard to the current flap over the Confederate flag.

My question was who will those of you blaming a piece of cloth for the murders of blacks in South Carolina blame for the recent deaths in TN....which flag now?

Last edited:

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Not sure what you're confused about...I've said from the beginning "that a piece of material doesn't define me or my past, never flown any flag, pretty agnostic about religion in general and don't have an issue in regard to the current flap over the Confederate flag. My question was who will those of you blaming a piece of cloth for the murders of blacks in South Carolina blame for the recent deaths in TN....which flag now?
I've just never seen someone so passionately defend something they claim to care nothing about.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I've just never seen someone so passionately defend something they claim to care nothing about.

I have not defended anything. Honestly, I don't care if the flag stays or goes and would just like for someone to tell me who or what you're going to blame for the next mass murder? If you can't explain TN I don't have much hope for an answer...at least not one that makes any logical sense.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Last edited:

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Poppy, poppy poppy and all you deflaggers!?! I now see that it is not compassion that drives you but an extreme misguided passion. Yes, by continuing to try and link the Confederate Flag with the kkk, white supremists, Isis and all of racism is at the least ironic if not hypocritical. You do not want to talk about mental health, gun safety and the existence of racism in society. I have asked you, no make that challenged you to give us a story where you have actually shown respect toward African Americans because this spewing of your compassion to destroy an entire history and culture is getting old. Again, I ask that you tell us a story where you have hired, invited over for dinner, supported the NAACP or Black Panthers or just have conversations with African Americans to back up your passion against racism. Voting for President Obama does not give you a shield against your own biases and prejudices and even racism. Be truthful about your passion against racism and how to rid society of it. Removing the Confederate Flag is now becoming just a way for you deflaggers to cover up for something else (and I for one am not buying it).

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I am seeing more and more rebel flags around town, mostly rigged up on pickup trucks (maybe the time to attach that flag could have been put to better use cleaning the beer cans and trash out of the truck bed, but I digress). Anyway, the whole visual, including the demeanor of the drivers and passengers (not seeing many people who bathe, wear clean clothes, or seem to have any pride in personal appearance drive these vehicles), made me recoil. I am sure I am not the only one on the road who was uncomfortable (OK I snickered first)- if this keeps up and are more prevalent, our main economy might take a hit. Because the majority of people vacationing here aren't coming to SoWal to see this kind of "southern pride". They are here to experience the "southern pride in hospitality" that feeds so many people here, including the dumbasses that don't make that connection as they leave their job at the resort, vacation rental company, or construction job site, flying their southern pride on their trucks. Yeah, that flag is such a money and success magnet....
You are projecting a lot of negativity (to put it mildly) on to people you do not even know. It is this division between humans that actually leads to biases, prejudices and even racism. Drinking beer and throwing a can in the back of their truck does not separate you from drinking a beer. Now if these "dumbasses" that you so eloquently put start shooting people then of course you would have a point. We all need to be tolerate of other lifestyles otherwise the division that is created is not good for society. Society gives us laws to live by and if they are not broken then you might just have a bias against the way someone else lives their life when you make these very negative projections.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
You are projecting a lot of negativity (to put it mildly) on to people you do not even know. It is this division between humans that actually leads to biases, prejudices and even racism. Drinking beer and throwing a can in the back of their truck does not separate you from drinking a beer. Now if these "dumbasses" that you so eloquently put start shooting people then of course you would have a point. We all need to be tolerate of other lifestyles otherwise the division that is created is not good for society. Society gives us laws to live by and if they are not broken then you might just have a bias against the way someone else lives their life when you make these very negative projections.

Are you able to post your own views and observations without being so negative about others here? You are making a lot of assumptions about others who see things differently than you do. The idea here is to share your ideas. Not criticize the ideas of fellow posters.

Everyone has their own perspective. Respect that. Share your own. Respectfully. And with passion if you wish..