• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Leader of the banned, we are way beyond slavery I hope (in this country). The issue is way beyond the Confederate Flag and who has hijacked it for their own symbolism. The issue is about how to respect both a race of people and how to respect an accurate history of slavery, southern culture and the causes of the war between the states. More importantly the issue should be about mental health, racism and gun safety otherwise we may never come to an understanding of how to prevent mass shootings.

I believe the first step is finding common ground. Some of you believe that the first step is removing the confederate flag which I do not agree with and you have all proven my point by continuing with an attack on character of those that disagree with you. Is it possible for us to engage in tolerance or not?

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
You are like the pesky child who continues to ask why when given an answer. You are so off base on this issue you have lost all credibility. There is no common ground except to remove the Rebel Flag from all public spaces. It should be removed along with any religious symbols because they are not officially recognized and do not represent all citizens. This thread should continue, but you and I are officially done.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I have tried to answer each and every one of your questions but I guess you are not going to answer mine. Since this will be our last encounter (agreed) I just want to say that I hope we have more in common than you give us credit. The reason being is that the human race and how we communicate, tolerate, associate and debate is very close to my heart. I admit it bothers me when I am judged, labeled, ridiculed and condemned for not agreeing with another perspective but I am trying to engage in more tolerance of other beliefs. I am not perfect by any means and will continue to learn how to communicate better. I do apologize for any inflammatory or negative words or phrases that I used as it was never my intent. I would like for this thread to end because I will forever be just as passionate about the subject(s) as you and everyone else and I would rather be more productive.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
What do you do as for as actions or is it all words?

I just told you I don't support slavery. What are you stoned or something?

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Leader of the banned, we are way beyond slavery I hope (in this country). The issue is way beyond the Confederate Flag and who has hijacked it for their own symbolism. The issue is about how to respect both a race of people and how to respect an accurate history of slavery, southern culture and the causes of the war between the states. More importantly the issue should be about mental health, racism and gun safety otherwise we may never come to an understanding of how to prevent mass shootings.

I believe the first step is finding common ground. Some of you believe that the first step is removing the confederate flag which I do not agree with and you have all proven my point by continuing with an attack on character of those that disagree with you. Is it possible for us to engage in tolerance or not?

In this world we are certainly not beyond outright slavery, and even in this country there are those who live a life of bondage and servitude. I avoid people who proudly and nostalgically fly a symbol that represents the worst of an era when that stuff was legal.

Last edited:

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I just told you I don't support slavery. What are you stoned or something?

I have never been "stoned" so to answer your question NO. If you are going to practice what you preach then please share with me where you have done anything other than words to "support" your position. I have not shied away from answering your questions. Why is it so hard from answering mine? The point is this thread has become a lot about words and very little anything else.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
In this world we are certainly not beyond outright slavery, and even in this country there are those who live a life of bondage and servitude. I avoid people who proudly and nostalgically fly a symbol that represents the worst of an era when that stuff was legal.
Words are not enough. It is too easy to say "I support or do not support". Share with us a little more about how you personally have engaged in respect toward African Americans.

You avoid people who do not agree with you. That is a step in the wrong direction in my opinion.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Words are not enough. It is too easy to say "I support or do not support". Share with us a little more about how you personally have engaged in respect toward African Americans.

You avoid people who do not agree with you. That is a step in the wrong direction in my opinion.

Um, I think actively supporting the removal of the confederate flag from government, tax-funded property is kind of about respecting African Americans. But call me crazy.:roll:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Teresa, Please go back and read all these posts to find negativity. I thought I was trying to be positive and unifying as a species but as you know it is hard to do when a topic keeps going back and forth and back and forth. It is like you are asking me to not be negative while others keep sounding off plenty of negativity. I am surprised that you would call me out on this and not others. I understand both sides and respect both sides. Don't always use the correct words but attempt to bring people together than apart. If this forum is open to all opinions as you say then I should be able to respond without you telling me to stop being negative.

I agree with many of your ideas but not all. I agree to disagree and stop this back and forth. As you can see there are two sides to this issue with neither side having any moral high ground (just ideas, opinions and yes bias). Can we let this die an honorable and respectful death or not?

Sorry mput. I should have kept it silent. I just see your posts responding negatively to other posts. I would like to see your own thoughts instead of your critique of others. I believe you have so much to say on behalf of yourself.

We've all shared what others see as negative, I suppose. But we don't have to constantly critique another's thoughts and ideas at the same time, do we? State your idea. Leave others out of it.

That's all. Hugs.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I guess I need to explain something. I don't have a problem with racist ahole dumb****s flying the Confederate flag. What I do have a problem with is knowing that my local government consists of a bunch of racist ahole dumb****s who allow the confederate flag to fly on the grounds of their workplace. Do you see what I'm saying?
Well, there you go again hijacking my question for the purpose of what?

Calling people names again? Does that make you feel superior or something? Listen, aren't we mature grownups just trying to have a discussion. Why does it have to go to this level?