• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
So it was a self selecting survey and not a scientific poll. All this tells you is the flag lovers are more angry than the opposition. No surprise there.

Cuff

Beach Lover
Feb 3, 2013
"Fold it up and put it away...I think it wisest to not keep open the sores of war...and to commit to oblivion the feelings it engendered." Robert E Lee
Indeed.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Poppy, come on, what is the difference between a survey and the petitions that were presented by both sides? CNN did a scientific poll on the subject of the flag since the tragedy in South Carolina and 57% polled said the flag represented heritage. We could certainly have a referendum on the subject, which would be the ultimate poll.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Poppy, come on, what is the difference between a survey and the petitions that were presented by both sides? CNN did a scientific poll on the subject of the flag since the tragedy in South Carolina and 57% polled said the flag represented heritage. We could certainly have a referendum on the subject, which would be the ultimate poll.
Danny don't get your blood up, I am merely stating a fact. If I am wrong please correct me and I will admit my mistake. It is a fact that the angriest people respond to self selecting polls. I'm not as pissed as you flag supporters and I didn't sign the petition even though I believe the flag should come down. Doing what is right shouldn't take a referendum.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Yes the 10 commandments and Christmas display should be removed, but that has nothing to do with the battle flag, unless Danny is somehow using religion to support flying the flag, which would be really scary, but not surprising.
Common sense would suggest not breaching the separation of church and state, it protects everyone. Once that door is opened it's open to all and any religion can pass through it.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
This is a direct quote from the Cornerstone Speech of the Confederacy:

"Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.

This is what The Confederacy was founded on. The Confederate flag represents the Confederacy. All this entirely stupid conversation has been about one person trying to deny this. Shame on all of us for letting one person's willful ignorance occupy our time.
Our American Government was founded with an acceptance of those very same WRONG ideas. As I have already explained the Confederacy made that statement primarily to generate money (it is always about money) from the plantation owners. Most of the Confederacy had NO slaves. Lincoln did the same thing with his so called cornerstone speeches and declarations to confuse the issue of States Rights. The war was wrong. That statement was wrong but it is the nature of WAR to motivate the soldiers to make the ultimate sacrifice. Southern Generals freed their slaves BEFORE the war ended while Northern Generals kept their slaves until the end of the war. Does that not seem hypocritical to you? Slavery could ended without that war but the winners of the war wrote the history to justify the war. Read more about the dilemma that Lincoln faced to garner support for the war. He knew he would go to war to protect Northern money and power but used the slavery issue to generate support from wealthy industrialists who feared that the South was gaining too much wealth and power.

Lake View Too, you have become one of the name callers in this forum who I am going to put on my ignore list. However I will be glad to sit down with you over coffee or go fishing or just watch the sunset with you because I think you are better than that.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
A TN GOP rep. is claiming Forrest was one of the original civil rights leaders. How funny is that? Next they will claim the south fought to end slavery.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Abraham Lincoln was a brilliant politician. He was also a very good man. Unfortunately politics and goodness is bad chemistry. The movie was brilliantly acted and it was wonderfully entertaining. I actually enjoyed however it was just a movie and not perfect in the retelling of history. I do believe that Lincoln was a master political strategist. I just wish he could have used that ability to prevent the war.