• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Really, you don't know what my opinion is? In summary I am for an ACCURATE HISTORY OF THE WAR BETWEEN THE STATES, RESPECT FOR THE CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS, RESPECT FOR ALL AMERICAN SOLDIERS, RESPECT FOR ALL PEOPLE REGARDLESS OF COLOR OR RELIGION OR POLITICS. If Walton County chooses to keep the Confederate Flag I will respect their decision and I would hope that you will too. My expectations of others are to be CIVIL but I can tolerate a lot.

I do not really have a response to your comments regarding a whine fest but I do find it out of character for you.

But do you believe the flag should stay or go on public land? That is the only issue here. There are many other related issues. But one tiny step is tied to the flag. Keep it. Take it down. If you had to vote keep or remove. And no one cares about your reasons, because there are so many different ones... From the minds and perspectives of many good people. How would you vote? We ARE Walton County. So how do YOU vote?

You're not the only to engage in whining about the character of others here. Perhaps you have good reason. I just find it unproductive.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
But do you believe the flag should stay or go on public land? That is the entire issue here. There are many other related issues. But one tiny step is tied to the flag. Keep it. Take it down. If you had to vote keep or remove. And no one cares about your reasons, because there are so many different ones. How would you vote? We ARE Walton County. So how do YOU vote?
Not sure what the purpose of this forum is if not for discussing, explaining, reasoning, informing and debating. Several of us have tried to end the thread many days ago! You seem irritated so I will reduce all it all down to YES keep the Confederate Flag as part of the memorial to the Confederate Soldiers. If anyone takes it as disrespect then that would be their choice but it is not my INTENT. I apologize for the slavery and racism that was a part of the Confederacy but it was not part of most of those soldiers.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Not sure what the purpose of this forum is if not for discussing, explaining, reasoning, informing and debating. Several of us have tried to end the thread many days ago! You seem irritated so I will reduce all it all down to YES keep the Confederate Flag as part of the memorial to the Confederate Soldiers. If anyone takes it as disrespect then that would be their choice but it is not my INTENT. I apologize for the slavery and racism that was a part of the Confederacy but it was not part of most of those soldiers.

OK! Thanks.. I understand your position.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Teresa, Thank you for pushing me to be clear about my position. I think I was trying too hard to be middle of the road. There is no middle of the road on this issue. I try to reason when reason is not possible. Next time I try to reason with so many people just tell me to put up or shut up and I will understand what you mean :)

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
I for one do not enjoy this debate nor do I find any easy answers. I completely respect the views of my friends on the other side of this issue and understand why they feel as they do. I remember desegregation in DeFuniak Springs and the pain that it caused everyone. I remember "white only" bathrooms and water fountains. In fact, I can show you where a couple still exist with only the signs removed. I remember law enforcement surrounding Walton High School due to the rioting caused by the black students demanding a Confederate flag that flew at the school be removed. I remember the fighting and the rock throwing very well. My Father was one of the white men in town who was on the side of the blacks and worked to help them. I remember every bit of it.
I also know and respect many of those who have direct ties to the people on that monument. I am one of them as well. I know that they have no desire to hurt anyone but they want their heritage and ancestors respected and remembered. They do not view flying a flag at that memorial as anything but a way to express their respect and draw attention to the monument. When it was placed there and by who has no impact on them, the fact is that it has been there for their lifetime. I want to find a way to mend these wounds and respect both groups of people. Flip remarks and snarky comments about people are no way to accomplish this. This could have been handled much better by trying to reach a consensus first. When you demand things and try to shove them down people's throats, the old line Scots in this area will always bow up. Get used to it.

Cuff

Beach Lover
Feb 3, 2013
Danny
Clear and concise expression of your point of view. Most certainly you should never have to lose the honor you feel for your ancestors. Ever. Finally I understand. Would you be opposed if I want to honor my ancestors next to yours on public property? My ancestors memorial will not be clothed in a fancy uniform . My ancestors do not have a battle flag . My ancestors have nooses, sobbing mothers and fathers and children torn from each other . . My ancestors have whips and dogs and starvation and filth and all kinds of scars. So I offer a compromise. Let's put memorials side by side . Let's honor your ancestors and mine . We do not have a flag. Still, let's put them side by side and let the on lookers draw their own conclusions. Your heritage and mine , shoulder to shoulder, finally.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
"When you demand things and try to shove them down people's throats." Interesting choice of words Danny. How do you think the blacks felt when Rebel flags suddenly begin to reappear during the civil rights era? Would that be considered shoving it down their throats? Hasn't it been shoved down their throats and in their faces long enough? They more than likely are the only ones who truly understand it's modern day symbolism.

Last edited:

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
I would not have any problem with a memorial to those who died in the fight for desegregation or one for those who suffered under slavery, either separate or in combination. If a group of citizens purchases such a memorial, I will be glad to support placing it on the courthouse lawn in a respectful manner.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I for one do not enjoy this debate nor do I find any easy answers. I completely respect the views of my friends on the other side of this issue and understand why they feel as they do. I remember desegregation in DeFuniak Springs and the pain that it caused everyone. I remember "white only" bathrooms and water fountains. In fact, I can show you where a couple still exist with only the signs removed. I remember law enforcement surrounding Walton High School due to the rioting caused by the black students demanding a Confederate flag that flew at the school be removed. I remember the fighting and the rock throwing very well. My Father was one of the white men in town who was on the side of the blacks and worked to help them. I remember every bit of it.
I also know and respect many of those who have direct ties to the people on that monument. I am one of them as well. I know that they have no desire to hurt anyone but they want their heritage and ancestors respected and remembered. They do not view flying a flag at that memorial as anything but a way to express their respect and draw attention to the monument. When it was placed there and by who has no impact on them, the fact is that it has been there for their lifetime. I want to find a way to mend these wounds and respect both groups of people. Flip remarks and snarky comments about people are no way to accomplish this. This could have been handled much better by trying to reach a consensus first. When you demand things and try to shove them down people's throats, the old line Scots in this area will always bow up. Get used to it.

Danny, I experienced the same at my high school. Gangs of blacks would beat the crap out of one white boy. The video brought back painful memories. I was never their target because I had many black friends from the football team but they would always hold me back from helping until the kid was beaten senseless. I was always trying to be the mediator between the blacks and whites. I can relate to your high school experiences. None of us can relate to those Soldiers that died but we should be able to respect them appropriately. I am proud for my tax dollars to be used to fly the Confederate Flag!

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Poppy, I lived it, I do not have to guess how they feel. But do you understand that the vast majority of those who wish for it to remain do not use it for any purpose other than to express pride in their heritage. I understand that opinion as well.