• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Well if it comes to pass that the decision is made to keep it we should demand a burning cross and a hangman's noose be installed under it. That's also a part of southern heritage and you should display all of it.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
The problem in a nutshell is this: Those offended by the flag see it in the context of how the Confederate battle flag or navy jack (or Southern Cross or however you refer to it) was used during the fight for the end of segregation and those who want it to remain see it as a remembrance of those who fought in the Civil War. Two completely different eras and different interpretations. And many on both sides cannot see the other point of view.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Poppy, if you wish to fund a memorial that respectfully depicts those who suffered those types of tragic acts, I will help you find a place to display it at the courthouse. But not "under" the existing monument. Those men had absolutely nothing to do with burning crosses or lynchings. They were already dead.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Poppy, if you wish to fund a memorial that respectfully depicts those who suffered those types of tragic acts, I will help you find a place to display it at the courthouse. But not "under" the existing monument. Those men had absolutely nothing to do with burning crosses or lynchings. They were already dead.

How about amputations, castrations, and whippings?

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Well if it comes to pass that the decision is made to keep it we should demand a burning cross and a hangman's noose be installed under it. That's also a part of southern heritage and you should display all of it.

That is also part of our American Heritage because it has happened in the North, West, East and South. None of us are proud of that heritage and that is NOT what we are talking about.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Also what about the Native American Heritage. Our American Heritage pretty much eradicated an entire culture of human beings. How was that different than Nazi Germany? Yet we all are proud Americans! Why do you try so hard to be in denial of the hypocrisy?

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
I think a memorial to Sam Story and the Euchee Indians would be very appropriate for the courthouse. The Trail of Tears is part of our history and I can claim the Indians as well. One of my grandmothers was 1/2 Creek Indian. And one of my ancestors was killed in the last Indian massacre in Walton County in 1837. Maybe some of these could be displayed at the South Walton Annex. Just need to find private funding for them.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Also what about the Native American Heritage. Our American Heritage pretty much eradicated an entire culture of human beings. How was that different than Nazi Germany? Yet we all are proud Americans! Why do you try so hard to be in denial of the hypocrisy?

Most of America has changed in the last 100 years. Flaggers can't get their head out of their 19th century ass.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I will be glad to donate to a memorial for the Native Americans.

I also believe that Sowal should find some funding (bed tax) to advertise for more African Americans. I do not see that many African Americans on our South Walton Beaches but it would be very respectful if they could increase those numbers. Does anyone second this motion?