• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
I will be glad to donate to a memorial for the Native Americans. I also believe that Sowal should find some funding (bed tax) to advertise for more African Americans. I do not see that many African Americans on our South Walton Beaches but it would be very respectful if they could increase those numbers. Does anyone second this motion?
Ditch the flag and they might feel more welcome without any special marketing.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Why don't we ask the Native Americans what they think?

You mean what do they think about denigrating symbolism that celebrates their massacre? I think I know the answer to that. That's why I don't go around displaying denigrating symbolism that celebrates their massacre.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Also what about the Native American Heritage. Our American Heritage pretty much eradicated an entire culture of human beings. How was that different than Nazi Germany? Yet we all are proud Americans! Why do you try so hard to be in denial of the hypocrisy?
You're still looking for the strawman.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Good grief, I'm communicating with a wall.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
You mean what do they think about denigrating symbolism that celebrates their massacre? I think I know the answer to that. That's why I don't go around displaying denigrating symbolism that celebrates their massacre.
You do not believe the American Flag was waving when they were massacred?

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Good grief, I'm communicating with a wall.

I am just trying to understand why it is okay for you to talk about Southern Heritage being linked to nooses and lynchings but we can not talk about American Heritage being linked to an eradication of an entire culture. It is not a strawman argument.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Ditch the flag and they might feel more welcome without any special marketing.
The point is that bed tax money is used to advertise right so why not market for more African Americans as a show of respect because this whole thing is about how to show respect for African Americans.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
No potential tourist would have known the flag even existed if the eradicators of history had not discovered it and decided it should be on the eradication list. I visited Stone Mountain last year and quite a few African-Americans were there touring the grounds under several Confederate Battle Flags so I guess only Walton County experiences this drop in tourism due to the flag. Of course the eradicators want to blast the figures off of Stone Mountain so they can nip that tourism problem in the bud before it starts. Since the Indians offend your sensitivities as well, guess we have to scratch the Sam Story monument idea.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
The problem in a nutshell is this: Those offended by the flag see it in the context of how the Confederate battle flag or navy jack (or Southern Cross or however you refer to it) was used during the fight for the end of segregation and those who want it to remain see it as a remembrance of those who fought in the Civil War. Two completely different eras and different interpretations. And many on both sides cannot see the other point of view.
But both connected by the oppression of the same people because of the color of their skin.

Poppy, if you wish to fund a memorial that respectfully depicts those who suffered those types of tragic acts, I will help you find a place to display it at the courthouse. But not "under" the existing monument. Those men had absolutely nothing to do with burning crosses or lynchings. They were already dead.
You just want to ignore it's more modern day heritage. Not very fair to it's history.