• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
I am just trying to understand why it is okay for you to talk about Southern Heritage being linked to nooses and lynchings but we can not talk about American Heritage being linked to an eradication of an entire culture. It is not a strawman argument.
Why are we not talking about the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII? That was under the American Flag. Why do you hate the Japanese people? We invaded Iraq and killed hundreds of thousands of innocents under the same flag, why are we not discussing that? Why the hypocrisy? The two nearest Redbox kiosks to my home were removed even though the American flag was flying high all over the country. Don't you think I have the right to convenient movie rentals, where is the justice in that? Why are we ignoring all these other subjects?

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
No potential tourist would have known the flag even existed if the eradicators of history had not discovered it and decided it should be on the eradication list. I visited Stone Mountain last year and quite a few African-Americans were there touring the grounds under several Confederate Battle Flags so I guess only Walton County experiences this drop in tourism due to the flag. Of course the eradicators want to blast the figures off of Stone Mountain so they can nip that tourism problem in the bud before it starts. Since the Indians offend your sensitivities as well, guess we have to scratch the Sam Story monument idea.
Of course I was being flippant about the flag and black tourism. I have no problem with advertising for tourism. I would love to witness the looks on the faces of locals when 30A beaches fill up with black families.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
No potential tourist would have known the flag even existed if the eradicators of history had not discovered it and decided it should be on the eradication list. I visited Stone Mountain last year and quite a few African-Americans were there touring the grounds under several Confederate Battle Flags so I guess only Walton County experiences this drop in tourism due to the flag. Of course the eradicators want to blast the figures off of Stone Mountain so they can nip that tourism problem in the bud before it starts. Since the Indians offend your sensitivities as well, guess we have to scratch the Sam Story monument idea.
Eradication of an accurate history does seem to be a goal. I am trying to understand why they are hell bent to deny that American History (from corner to corner) if full of the same things they keep linking to Southern History. Denial, hypocrisy or just plane intolerance to our Southern Heritage just makes no sense. ALL my family and friends are from the South and I never hear racist remarks. We have had African Americans in our home and pool (just recently). I live in a black neighborhood and went to a black school. We all respect each other but there is very little respect coming from the eradicators. I have asked these eradicators where is your "actions" regarding to respect to African Americans and I get lectured for being divisive and negative. It makes no sense...

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Why are we not talking about the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII? That was under the American Flag. Why do you hate the Japanese people? We invaded Iraq and killed hundreds of thousands of innocents under the same flag, why are we not discussing that? Why the hypocrisy? The two nearest Redbox kiosks to my home were removed even though the American flag was flying high all over the country. Don't you think I have the right to convenient movie rentals, where is the justice in that? Why are we ignoring all these other subjects?
Yes, I absolutely agree with that and it is hypocritical to not include that history as well. In other words if the subject moves to the history of oppression and the slaughter of many innocent people then we must include that as well. It is a history none of us are proud of. I wish we could let it heal and hope that we have "learned" something to prevent it happening EVER again.

Also agree with your Rebox kiosk being removed. No justice. Common ground...

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I would love to witness the looks on the faces of locals when 30A beaches fill up with black families.

Especially if they are flag wavin, truck drivin, beer drinkin, trash totin, Un-bathed, dirty clothed, black individuals with dirty, UN-cared for children and pets!

Most folks know whites certainly don't have a monopoly on that!

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I think a memorial to Sam Story and the Euchee Indians would be very appropriate for the courthouse. The Trail of Tears is part of our history and I can claim the Indians as well. One of my grandmothers was 1/2 Creek Indian. And one of my ancestors was killed in the last Indian massacre in Walton County in 1837. Maybe some of these could be displayed at the South Walton Annex. Just need to find private funding for them.

Now that's something to think about. Honoring those who have been wronged in this country. And in this part of Florida.

We already have a memorial for the confederate soldiers, but do we have a museum that tells all of our history? I'm not sure what people have against moving the flag into a museum with other things that tell an honest story for all to see and learn.

That flag doesn't tell us anything. But books do. Documentaries. Museums. School history curriculum. Some states are actually removing slavery from the confederate history books, whitewashing history books used in schools, today. Some people have a real interest and know how to learn their history. Most never really do. They learn what they are told by their communities and families, and this shapes their thinking and actions.. As shown in this county today over the flag, on all sides. History is important and there are many ways to keep it alive and true.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Eradication of an accurate history does seem to be a goal. I am trying to understand why they are hell bent to deny that American History (from corner to corner) if full of the same things they keep linking to Southern History. Denial, hypocrisy or just plane intolerance to our Southern Heritage just makes no sense. ALL my family and friends are from the South and I never hear racist remarks. We have had African Americans in our home and pool (just recently). I live in a black neighborhood and went to a black school. We all respect each other but there is very little respect coming from the eradicators. I have asked these eradicators where is your "actions" regarding to respect to African Americans and I get lectured for being divisive and negative. It makes no sense...
Who suggested we eradicate history? Who said it, find the post that suggested that. You're one attempting to cherry pick and whitewash it. You have gone from history to hysterics.

Last edited:

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Especially if they are flag wavin, truck drivin, beer drinkin, trash totin, Un-bathed, dirty clothed, black individuals with dirty, UN-cared for children and pets!

Most folks know whites certainly don't have a monopoly on that!
If you market to that demographic that's what you'll get.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
History is awesome and it's everything. It's the past that shapes our future. I would say that most people who wish to see the flag taken down agree how important knowledge of our own history is for all of us. From local history to world history, from prehistoric to modern day. Fascinating.

But we get to choose the symbols that represent us today. Is it the confederate flag? For some, yes. For others, no. Is the confederate memorial ok? I think so. It tells a slice of our history. Does it need a flag that represents southern heritage and white pride? I think not. Our pride should come from our actions and the way we live. The way we care for our people. Our heritage is so much more than a flag.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Yes, "our pride should come from our actions and the way we live"..."our heritage is so much more than a flag". That is all I am saying. We should all focus on our "actions". Removing the flag without ALSO reaching out to African Americans to visit the South Walton Beaches would be counterproductive to the respect that we are ALL in agreement with.