• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
At this rate, this thread will have more responses than the actual petition. 1,632 on the petition and 651 posts on this thread. Obviously, the moment has passed.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
No, the moment will pass on July 28th when the BCC makes a decision regarding the memorial flag.

Beauford

Beach Lover
Jun 23, 2015
Recent efforts to remove the Confederate Flag have ignited a firestorm among flag supporters and those who oppose it. As Walton County Commissioners prepare to consider whether to remove the flag from the Confederate War Memorial in Defuniak Springs, local residents are taking action.

Santa Rosa Beach attorney Daniel Uhlfelder is petitioning the Commission to remove the flag and presented 1,300 signatures at last week’s meeting.

Meanwhile, 27-year old Walton County native Justin Hammond has organized a Southern Pride Ride this Saturday beginning at 9 AM at the Paxton Community Center and ending at Miramar Beach. Hammond says he has never been involved in any kind of political movement but he felt like he had to do something in the wake of the onslaught of opposition against something he sees as an attempt to destroy southern heritage and culture.

Hammond says about 75 people have already signed up for the event on a facebook page he started called Southern Pride Ride Walton County. He got the idea for the event after seeing over 2,000 people show up for a similar event in Ocala earlier this month.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
I am moving to Miami where the people are normal, problem free and all get along. Some days I will by flying the Cuban flag, other days it might be the Haitian flag...being an open minded man of the people. Da le!
Damn you! You'll be there to witness Cuba becoming a hot spot once again. If you get there post photos on SoWal.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
WOW! I'm impressed Justin! It's a great thing to see the kids who were born and raised here (kids mine actually went to school and graduated with) take a stand in their Community.

I also happen to know Justin and hes an honest, god fearing, law abiding, good kid who works hard everyday to support his lovely other half and his children. I have never seen anything remotely racist about him and he is intrinsically involved with the youth in North Walton via sports and athletics.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I think jdarg and several others have made it abundantly clear what they want to see OR not see (in this case) on SoWal beaches Teresa and many of her responses were just downright uncalled for as well and oh so telling of her "station in life" and very belittling of those less fortunate. It is what it is.

There is a whole mob of people in Sowal that try to instill pride and respect for our community. If this is something contrary to your sensibilities then maybe you should stop reading Sowal.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
There is a whole mob of people in Sowal that try to instill pride and respect for our community. If this is something contrary to your sensibilities then maybe you should stop reading Sowal.

Instilling pride while thumbing your nose at those who don't compare to your position or station in life is just racist. And I don't think there will ever be a day when I stop doing anything I choose to do....including reading these rants....but thanks anyway.

SoWal would love to see posters from the north end of the county whose opinions differ from theirs sit back and say nothing while many of you attempt to change the way people have lived and worked in this Community for years. While you may own your little piece of the promised land in SoWal you don't own our spirit, our thoughts or our opinions and things just are not always going to be your way!

Nice talking with you Lakeview...NOT!

Last edited:

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
It is High Tide for a Southern Pride Ride led by general Hammond and a 75 member calvary! Wonder if we will hear the rebel yell. I am excited because it is going to pass right by my place at approximate 9:40. Will general Uhlfelder form a blockade in Freeport to prevent the advancement into Sowal? Will general Hammond be able to complete the mission into Mirimar Beach. Clear the streets here come them dang rebels!!! What drama in Walton county. Making history...

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Misty, Could you get a message to Justin that I would like for him to sign my Confederate Flag?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011