• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Last edited by a moderator:

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Walton county owes Donna Amend (shown above) a HUGE thank you for putting this together. She's been the driving force behind making this happen.

elo

Beach Crab
Apr 9, 2015
What are the locations of the other artificial reefs and what are the deployment dates?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
What are the locations of the other artificial reefs and what are the deployment dates?

For now the only Reef is at Grayton Beach State Park. They are still adding to it.

But, more reefs to be added to other beach sites such as Inlet beach, Topsail Park, Miramar Beach... Do not know timetable.

TimeIsFree

Beach Comber
Sep 25, 2008
Wow so they placed them in the water a week or so ago. Too cool! How's the swim out to them? I got down here yesterday and would love to check this out. Anybody been out there yet?

Surf was up a bit today and am trying to imagine how far out I'd be swimming to reach this reef. I understand not much is probably happening yet creature wise, but am curious if taking some sort of raft / flotation device and anchoring might be advisable. Free divers usually utilize some sort of float / flag thing, but I've not really looked into it yet.

Headed to the jettyies at St. andrews in the next couple mornings but would love to check this if water was not as rough as today. Heard earlier in the week it was FLAT. Kinda surprised nobody has posted about this new reef?!?

Wake up! I'm gonna poke ya if you don't wake up! - Widespread Panic

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
Diver Down Flag
To caution nearby boaters, Florida law requires divers and snorkelers to display a “diver down” flag when in the water. The flag is a red square with a diagonal white strip extending across from the top left corner to the bottom right corner. Wire or stiffener is used to keep the flag extended. This flag must adhere to certain measurement guidelines. It must measure at least 20 by 24 inches if displayed on a boat, and at least 12 by 12 inches if on a towed buoy.

kayak_diver-down.jpg

Requirements for Boaters and Snorkelers
Boaters must try to stay at least 300 feet away from dive flags in open waters, and 100 feet away in rivers, inlets and navigation channels. Boaters who must approach a diver down flag must slow to the minimum speed. Likewise, a snorkeler must also take care to stay within 300 feet of his flag in open waters and within 100 feet when in rivers, inlets or navigation channels.

Last edited by a moderator: