• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

second wind

Beach Lover
Feb 18, 2013
I can't believe this is still being discussed. This flag does not represent me and I live in South Walton. It does not belong on government owned land ... and I hope our commissioners agree.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I can't believe this is still being discussed. This flag does not represent me and I live in South Walton. It does not belong on government owned land ... and I hope our commissioners agree.

The discussion is leading up to an important decision by Walton County BCC. Thanks for posting.

July 28 9am at the Walton County Courthouse.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011

The Nativity Scene and 10 Commandments don't belong on Government property either and they absolutely do not represent everyone in Walton County but I don't see anyone demanding they be removed. Kinda reminds me of the song by Jeannie C Riley...."you're all Harper Valley Hypocrites".

By the way...there was another shooting at a LA theater...3 were killed including the shooter...which flag do the De-flaggers want removed over this shooting? Can't blame it on the Confederate...old glory perhaps?

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
The Nativity Scene and 10 Commandments don't belong on Government property either and they absolutely do not represent everyone in Walton County but I don't see anyone demanding they be removed. Kinda reminds me of the song by Jeannie C Riley...."you're all Harper Valley Hypocrites". By the way...there was another shooting at a LA theater...3 were killed including the shooter...which flag do the De-flaggers want removed over this shooting? Can't blame it on the Confederate...old glory perhaps?
Wrong! I and many others have stated that religious items do not belong on public property. Tell us which unofficial flag the shooter was glorifying or better yet, which flag you now want to see paraded around the county in the back of pick-ups.

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Wrong! I and many others have stated that religious items do not belong on public property. Tell us which unofficial flag the shooter was glorifying or better yet, which flag you now want to see paraded around the county in the back of pick-ups.

Poppy...I absolutely support free speech and if riding in a pick up truck waving a piece of cloth that some may find offensive is that form of free speech...oh freakin well!! I absolutely support their right to ride anywhere in this country and fly whatever piece of cloth they choose whether I agree or not.

As for the shooter in S.C. I don't think he was "glorifying" the Confederate flag, I think he is a very mentally disturbed individual just as the shooter in Aurora and Lafayette are/were and rather than focusing on a piece of cloth to blame for all the ills in this Country we need to take a real serious look at mental health care and/or other health factors that are precursors to these types of incidents. You on the other hand want to blame a piece of cloth!!

And just for whatever it's worth to you....I'll admit that I have actually read your posts that have stated religious items to do belong on Government property. With that being said....the alleged Christians who started this movement to remove the confederate flag have remained absolutely mute when confronted with their own hypocrisy including, Michelle Uhlfelder.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Poppy...I absolutely support free speech and if riding in a pick up truck waving a piece of cloth that some may find offensive is that form of free speech...oh freakin well!! I absolutely support their right to ride anywhere in this country and fly whatever piece of cloth they choose whether I agree or not.

As for the shooter in S.C. I don't think he was "glorifying" the Confederate flag, I think he is a very mentally disturbed individual just as the shooter in Aurora and Lafayette are/were and rather than focusing on a piece of cloth to blame for all the ills in this Country we need to take a real serious look at mental health care and/or other health factors that are precursors to these types of incidents. You on the other hand want to blame a piece of cloth!!

And just for whatever it's worth to you....I'll admit that I have actually read your posts that have stated religious items to do belong on Government property. With that being said....the alleged Christians who started this movement to remove the confederate flag have remained absolutely mute when confronted with their own hypocrisy including, Michelle Uhlfelder.

I agree with all you have stated. Free speech is awesome! WAve those flags!

I have never blamed a murder on a flag. And I haven't tied the flag discussion to the SC tragedy in my posts for a reason. The discussion began in SC but spread to other parts of the south quickly. Yes, I do believe there is much work to be done in mental health and our gun problem in America. Guns are the new cell phone. Everyone wants to have one and pose with it via open carry. Yes, I believe in gun ownership. But don't tell me all these gun owners are trained and prepared to handle a gun. Someone is shooting outside in Pt Washington woods as I type this and it doesn't sound like a shotgun - typical for our hood - but its not a threat. I just don't want guns around me in the grocery store, in a restaurant, in my child's school, etc. I don't want to SEE someone carrying a gun. I want all gun owners to be held to a very high standard of responsibility and competence.

But, we haven't discussed the 10 commandments or nativity on our public land at this point. Most of us deflaggers would probably also like to see these things removed. But, I'm not really offended by those things - even though I believe these belong in churches and homes, and not public places. I do see the 10 commandments and the nativity as being cultural as well as religious, and not offensive to a minority group of people. They may be offensive to non-Christians. But I don't really think they are hanging out at our county courthouse. I could be wrong.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
P.S. Poppy, DO NOT mistake my support of Justin's Pride Ride as support for a piece of cloth!!! My support is for his own personal effort to be involved in his Communities political process, his rights to free speech and the rights of others to that same process. They have as much right to be proud of their heritage as you do to be offended by it.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I agree with all you have stated. Free speech is awesome! WAve those flags!

But, we haven't discussed the 10 commandments or nativity on our public land at this point. Most of us deflaggers would probably also like to see these things removed. But, I'm not really offended by those things - even though I believe these belong in churches and homes, and not public places. I do see the 10 commandments and the nativity as being cultural as well as religious, and not offensive to a minority group of people. They may be offensive to non-Christians. But I don't really think they are hanging out at our county courthouse. I could be wrong.

If just one person in this Community is offended, it's one to many. The 10 Commandments do actually still hang inside the building.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Teresa, You and I both know the person or persons responsible for this movement (including Michelle Uhlfelder) hit the ground running, blaming the Confederate flag and a racist terrorist demanding its removal over the shooting deaths in S.C.

The very first post in this thread says it all:

On the heels of the brutal killing of nine African-American people in a South Carolina church by a racist terrorist, it's time to put that symbol of rebellion and racism behind us and move toward healing and a better United States of America starting with our local community.