• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Easternlake lady

Beach Comber
Jun 17, 2013
There are more 'keep out' signs at Eastern Lake. They say 'Posted. No trespassing. Keep out". The sign posts look new (more substantial) than what was there a couple of weeks ago. There's one about 10 feet from the gulf water!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 899
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 894
Last edited:

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
Not cool. Perfect place for families with kids with the zero entry lake on one side and the beach on the other. It seems that the current southern shore of the lake is pretty close to the MHWL, so most of that parcel (as shown on the tax map) is underwater (in the lake).

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Call all five Commissioners and demand removal of the signs! Address the BCC meeting complaining about what it is doing to the usage and beauty of our pristine beaches. When I bought here in 1991 there wasn't a sign anywhere along South Walton beaches. It could be that way again if the populace would just act.

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
Here is the story I got from a post on the Walton County Facebook site - A person bought the property located at 187 San Roy Road back in 2013 and along with the house, a lot to the west as well. The parcel is roughly 2 acres and last week I observed a surveyor marking the property and installing a few private property signs. It seems the new property owner attempted to get the sheriff to enforce the no trespassing signs and was advised that he needed more signs so they will be popping up. There was a lengthy exchange on the Walton County Visioning Facebook site that provided all sorts of information however I could not find it earlier. I also saw the current owner of the property has enlisted his neighbors on San Roy to also plant Private Property signs in front of there respective property that will extend to Easter Shores Condo complex. I have to be honest that I prefer to have some space when we head to the beach and I usually park on that section - I guess we will see what happens over the next weeks or so but I am holding out for eventual Karma..

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Here is the story I got from a post on the Walton County Facebook site - A person bought the property located at 187 San Roy Road back in 2013 and along with the house, a lot to the west as well. The parcel is roughly 2 acres and last week I observed a surveyor marking the property and installing a few private property signs. It seems the new property owner attempted to get the sheriff to enforce the no trespassing signs and was advised that he needed more signs so they will be popping up. There was a lengthy exchange on the Walton County Visioning Facebook site that provided all sorts of information however I could not find it earlier. I also saw the current owner of the property has enlisted his neighbors on San Roy to also plant Private Property signs in front of there respective property that will extend to Easter Shores Condo complex. I have to be honest that I prefer to have some space when we head to the beach and I usually park on that section - I guess we will see what happens over the next weeks or so but I am holding out for eventual Karma..

The property owner removed his post from the Facebook group. His post was quite inflammatory. Responses to his post were rather heated, though he had a few who support his property rights. This is the same property owner that had partnered with a vendor earlier with signs and set ups everywhere on and near his beachfront property. The vendor has gone somewhere else after receiving a lot of public outcry.

His post gave a huge number of signs that he and neighbors are having constructed. And he sited Florida law that allows for this. He also promised to partner with vendors. So, he does not want the public on his beach. But vendors are welcome.

Easternlake lady

Beach Comber
Jun 17, 2013
All of this makes me so mad!! But what astounds me is that he has (there is) a sign 10 feet from the gulf! Can he do that? The posts are white and blend in with the sand - so I'm guessing eventually someone running or a little child walking along with family by the water with run into one of these very substantial posts and sustain an injury. What then??

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
All of this makes me so mad!! But what astounds me is that he has (there is) a sign 10 feet from the gulf! Can he do that? The posts are white and blend in with the sand - so I'm guessing eventually someone running or a little child walking along with family by the water with run into one of these very substantial posts and sustain an injury. What then??
after the law suit, maybe he want own this property. #takeonefortheteam #ouch

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
It seems like a tricky parcel to define. If you look at this parcel and the Walton County Port Authority parcel (public beach/Eastern Lake access lot) to the north, much of both of these parcels have been underwater in the Eastern Lake outflow in recent history, with the tax parcel map for the southern parcel also being partially in the Gulf of Mexico. Between the MHWL and the current southern shore of Eastern Lake, I doubt they currently have 2 acres!

TaxMap.jpg

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
From what I read on Facebook, the homeowner did have surveillance camera's on his property and folks were urinating on the dune and by his house and he has young children. He has tried everything he could to handle this problem with the increasing crowds coming to this area and he went to the Sheriff's Dept. for help and assistance. Someone spoke to him from the Walton County Visioning group on FB and felt the guy was sincere. However, the last thing I remember reading was he was very much against all the signs (he had a lengthy comment about this) but the Sheriff's Dept. insisted he needed all those signs so they could enforce the no trespassing issue on his property. We lived on the beach over 10 years ago and I can see both sides of the argument here. We had people come up our walkover, walk through our garden and even look through our windows! Even then there was no respect for private property all those years ago but certainly is has gotten out of hand with all the people here now.